Synchronizing Uploaded Workouts with Training Plan (Read 413 times)

Are you a Heartosaurus?

Hi,

Can someone offer some insight here?

Usually when I do a run and upload it from my Garmin watch, it strikes out the workout from my training plan even if it's not exact. I love this feature because every time I do a workout I just upload it from my watch and it shows that I've completed it on the training plan as I said by showing it as crossed out.

Here's the problem. I have a workout called Bike or Swim for 30:00 on August 27. It's an easy cross training workout. I figure whether I swim or bike for 20-30 min when I upload it, it will be crossed off my training plan as complete as usual right? Wrong. Check out my training plan and training log. I uploaded the 20min bike session and it shows in my workouts, but it was not marked as completed on my training plan. Here's my training plan:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/461a14314c4048888b69434df6a36752/plans/71288faa84f144b2813c415f9b454f3c

Can someone please advise? Is it necessary to call the exact workout the same thing as the one being uploaded? Ie...bike 20min as opposed to bike or swim? That's kind of annoying if so because I have the option of biking or swimming on the plan depending how I feel and I want to just be able to upload whatever I do and have it marked as completed. Thoughts anyone?

I should kindly say that this is THE BEST training site around, even considering the paid ones. I love this site!

bjc 

Heartosaurusnoun [heart-o-sau-rus] 1. An inspiring online reference for open heart surgery patients. 2. A heart patient with an inextinguishable desire not merely to survive, but to live life to its fullest. 3. A doctor, caregiver, or anyone who makes a profound difference to the cause.

eric :)

bjc,

You give the software more credit than it is due.  The training log is not smart at all.  When you created the entry "Bike or swim", that is the name of the activity.  The software will never know that you want it to match either a bike or swim workout.  I'm afraid you'll have to manually adjust the these entries after importing them.

eric Smile

Are you a Heartosaurus?

Eric,

Could you clarify? I want these to be stricken from my training plan automatically like the runs are when I upload them. How do I do this? Is it possible? In other words instead of the Bike or Swim shown on my training plan should I change it to say "Bike" and when I uploaded a "Bike" workout from the GPS it will automatically be stricken out like when I do a run? Or am I still not understanding this correctly?

Benjamin

Heartosaurusnoun [heart-o-sau-rus] 1. An inspiring online reference for open heart surgery patients. 2. A heart patient with an inextinguishable desire not merely to survive, but to live life to its fullest. 3. A doctor, caregiver, or anyone who makes a profound difference to the cause.

eric :)

bjc,

"Bike or swim" is treated as an activity type.  It is akin to "Bike", or "Swim" or "Doing dishes".  The software doesn't care what the text says and it shouldn't because it has no way of knowing 跑步 is Chinese for running.  It just knows that "Bike or swim" is a different activity from "Bike" and "Swim".  The only way to have it crossed out is to change the activity (in the plan) to "Bike" or "Swim".  I might be able to think of something that doesn't require you to do that, but I rather not touch that code right now because I had a hard time getting the matching to work properly.

Are you a Heartosaurus?

Got it, that makes sense. No biggie. Thanks for explaining Eric, I appreciate your time.

bjc