distance conversion (Read 248 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

In the splits dropdown menu where you can make custom splits, is it possible to include a feature whereby if you do not enter a distance value but just change the distance unit, you can see the distance converted to the desired unit? I am interested in this because my default unit is miles but sometimes I run intervals on track and my various splits are in meters of different length, for example, I have the following workouts:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/4328f6d8056a44768b3bfc767a7a782b/workouts/ba1694c6936a466899473c8f40ca705b

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/4328f6d8056a44768b3bfc767a7a782b/workouts/143bf840595b4fd08e17bda803789966

Currently I just put a note next to each to easily see what distance (in meters) the split was done in.

Thanks

mikeymike

I don't understand the question. I do workouts all the time where the default units for the overall workout is miles but I use meters in the intervals section. It still displays my pace in minutes per mile.

Runners run

mikeymike

Runners run

Wing

Joggaholic

I don't understand the question. I do workouts all the time where the default units for the overall workout is miles but I use meters in the intervals section. It still displays my pace in minutes per mile.

I entered my intervals in meters (see screenshot in edit mode):

But when I view the workout, the intervals are in miles (see screenshot below):

What I want to see is the "view workout" page to look like the "edit" page where the distance are shown in the original unit of meters, so that I can see I was running 1400m @ a certain pace, as opposed to 0.87 miles @ certain pace (I'm fine with the pace column, it is just the distance column I'm talking about)

Maybe I need to fix some settings or something to make the original unit to show up?

mikeymike

Are you uploading from GPS? I think I remember there is some issue with the underlying data that prevents you from mixing units when you do it that way. I think its a GPS file issue more than a log issue. One solution is to enter the workout manually when you do track workouts. I don't use a GPS and I've never had the problem.

Runners run

Wing

Joggaholic

The data was uploaded via Garmin .tcx file which has mile as the default unit (although I suspect the data inside the file is actually in meters, but I may be wrong). In RA, I manually edit the "distance" entry for my track runs because I want them in meters and also to round them to correct distances (400/800...etc, gps is never right on the spot).

Thanks Mike! (I must confess I always confuse your handle with MilkTruck for some reason, and I keep seeing your handle as "milkeymike")

mikeymike

MilkTruck is my distant cousin from up north.

Runners run

xor

Milky Mike is smooth and white.

eric :)

If the intervals were obtained via the GPS, the interval distances will be displayed using your default distance unit. When you modify the interval distances, the system currently doesn't know that you've changed it so it contains to display the distance using the default unit. I'll address this when I get to updating the workout page in my log overhaul project.
                    Wing

Joggaholic

If the intervals were obtained via the GPS, the interval distances will be displayed using your default distance unit. When you modify the interval distances, the system currently doesn't know that you've changed it so it contains to display the distance using the default unit. I'll address this when I get to updating the workout page in my log overhaul project.

Thanks Eric for the quick response!