1/2 marathon this weekend and little training (Read 83 times)

irunsf85

I'm running a 1/2 this weekend and due to an ankle injury from a fall a few weeks back, I haven't been able to do a lot of running.  In the last few weeks, my weekly mileage has been in the teens and about 3 weeks ago, I ran a 10 mile race.  This past Sunday, I ran 8 miles.  I've completed about 5 1/2 marathons in the past with my last one being in February.  I'm a little concerned now that I've lost all of my running fitness and worried I won't be able to finish.  What do you guys think? Will this blow up in my face?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

You can finish. It might not be as fast as you'd like to be, but you know how to do it. Good luck!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

irunsf85

Do you think I'm better off just resting the rest of this week to allow my ankle to be 100% or set out to do a few miles here and there?  My ankle is about 95% recovered with only pain early in the morning when I get out of bed and when I am forced to pronate/supinate due to the road.

hectortrojan

You should be fine given the facts that you already ran 5 halfs the last one was in feb, ran 10 miles and ran a 3 weeks ago. If it helps check out my logs, I got injured a month before running my first half marathon and didn't have a long run 4 weeks before the race, but I was fine on the race day

SMART Approach

I think you will be fine but you have to race smart. Firstly, soak that ankle in hot water while moving and getting it nice an loose. Secondly, start somewhat conservatively. If feeling great at halfway point pick it up a bit. With 3 miles left put the hammer down.  You can make up some lost time if you were a tad conservative later on. This approach is wise rather than blowing up and trying to survive and getting passed by many people.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com