can someone with hip replacement run? (Read 4517 times)

Cause I CAN

I'm not talking marathons but can they run short distance? like a mile or 5K at least? I am having MRI done Tuesday, dont think I will need this but its a possibility...have been on prednisone for 17 years for transplant, they took me off and hips have been killing me, they want to look into it and I am concerned that they'll tell me I cant run anymore...
    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Old, Slow, Happy

Hey Peachy, I don't know anything about any of that. I just want to say it seems like you've been through a lot with the transplant, etc. I hope all the hip stuff works out for you. I have a piddly little case of runners knee. I did not run for 9 days and I missed the running every day. I could not imagine not running any more at all. Good Luck with the MRI and diagnosis. I hope all goes well!!! I'll be thinking of you. Be sure to let us know how things work out.

Cause I CAN

thanks and believe me I'm gonna have a freak fit if they tell me i cant ever run...
        Mikeco

Someone who posts on this site called Amy Barrow has had a bilateral hip replacement and holds 8 state records for her age group - Amazing eh!!.

Cause I CAN

that gives me hope...i've only been running for a little over 3 years, not ready to quit now

Hoodoo Guru

A friend of mine in his early 40's had a hip replacement and does triathlons.

The tangents are moot.

#artbydmcbride

Check out this thread. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/7ce294b8f45b4d0b961387b1a7ebe1bc She's had two hip replacements. Smile Be sure to click on her name and read her profile.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Amy Barrow, who posts here from time to time, has had a double hip replacement. She is also ticking of nearly every TN masters state record on the books. She runs. She runs well. And she runs fast!! MTA: yeah. What Ilene said, above. Big grin
                    Yes! And almost certainly faster than me.
                    And who am I anyway?
                    Just another fat jogger, evidently.

thumbs up!

that gives me hope...i've only been running for a little over 3 years, not ready to quit now
                      WOW you are one amazing woman. And even a marathon under your belt. I have a feeling you'll do whatever you set your mind to. You inspire us all.
                      2010 Goals
                      1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                      2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                      3. sub 30 min 5k
                      4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10

Cause I CAN

Thank you, I read her thread and posted a message to her, hopefully she'll see it and contact me. It amazes me that the same drug that has kept me alive all these years could do this to me...I am off the prednisone now and hope there isnt too much or any damage and I can continue...

Cause I CAN

Trent, thank you so much for posting this! Its just what I needed..
                            Peachy: You know, is a way a lot of (most of) doctors and scientists are a driver who drive by looking at the rear-view mirror. Of course they are (were) the ones who used to say that, once we reach 25, development is done. Today we see so many masters, starting to run so late, run freakishly fast! Even then, some of them still say, oh, it's because those people are genetically gifted... Two people I sort of know (not that you can call them up and ask if they know me, they'd jump up with joy; but I've had some assocciation); there was a guy by the name of Murray Halberg in New Zealand. He had a rugby accident when he was 17. He dislocated his left shoulder and ruptured all the blood vessels and nerves surrounding his shoulder. Blood leaked around heart and he almost nearly died. Doctors asked his parents if they should amputate his arm (because he would'nt be able to use it) but his parents said no because they didn't think he would survive throught the weekend. They performed a surgery, open up his chest and remove blood clot around his heart to keep him alive. He survived. He was left-handed so he would have to re-learn a simple skill of "writing" from scratch. He decided, when he got out of hospital, that he would not only live but excel in sport. Ten years later, he became an Olympic champion in 5000m at Rome Olympics, his left arm basically just hang and swang around as he moves along. Anne Audain, also New Zealander, had deformed feet when she was a child. The doctor had to operate a re-construction surgery on her both feet and said she'd be lucky if she could walk at all. She came out and set the world record for 5000m in 1979 (I think) and then came to US and became what they called the "winningest" road runner of the year in 1980. Interestingly, she trained in racing flats of the days--quite minimalist even for today's standard. What I mean by "doctors drive by rear-view mirror" is that they see live-examples and come up with a conclusion. Most people, under these circumstances, won't have much ambition. There are few who gets determined to excel and, when they do, they do excel. Then they quickly dismiss them by saying "they are exceptions". I am constantly amazed to see some people with adversity, clearly one leg bigger than the other, perhaps sign of having had a stroke or some sort, doing very well (sometimes passing me!). I saw this old gentleman with an artificial leg still running at about 7PM around Central Park last month, completing the NYC marathon. Granted, I don't know anything about hip replacement--I don't know of anybody who runs with hip replacement of any degree. But, experience tells me that, when there's will, there's a way. My wife had an ACL surgery this past January. She used her own hamstring so recovery has been very slow. She had run several marathons and, knowing that, her doctor, right from the get-go, encouraged her to go out and try to regain her form. It has been a very slow process but she ran TC 10 miler in October. She still complains that she can't go uphill right--her leg without one hamstring seems to just give in; but she has come a long way. If the doctor only shows statistics and can't provide "hope", I guess we just have to show them that it can be done. I guess my bottom line is; even if doctor tells you that you can't run again (I don't know if they did at all), I certainly won't take that for face value. They've been wrong before.
                            Hannibal Granite

I coached a young lady (~19 years old) last year who was going to have hip replacement b/c of a degenerative condition she had from birth. The doctors told her she wouldn't be able to run after the replacemet so she held off replacement for a few years so she could continue to run XC / track in school, despite the fact that her hip popped out of its socket after running for about 30 minutes. The reason the doctors told her she couldn't run after the replacement was that the replacment would wear out faster, they would have to do another replacement in 6-8 years instead of 10-15. I don't know if she has had the replacement yet, but if it were me and the only thing I had to worry about was a few more surgeries I would probably still try to run.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara