Lower Leg Training (Read 1924 times)

I'm looking for a good way to strengthen the muscles of my shin muscles (anterior lower leg). I've been recovering from stress fractures for a while and the doctor recommended doing stuff to build up the muscle mass on the lower leg. I've done toe raises, stuff with the elastic band, etc. etc. I tried adding resistance to my toes for the toe raise, but that dumbell won't stay balanced on my foot Wink Any suggestions?

Pre would have liked us.

This may just be more of the same but try air writing the alphabet with your toe. Also, try standing on the edge of a stair and do calf raises with your feet straight, toes pointed out and toes pointed in. I had shin splints often and lower leg strengthening was the Rx for that too.

dork.major dork.

If you go to runners world.com they have a couple of videos under "injury prevention" go to "the Body" series and they have a series of videos about different body parts and how to care for them -- shins/lower leg is one of them. I found them useful. Hope they help. Here's a link: http://www.runnersworld.com/runnersbody/

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Hey, I would recommend the BOSU trainer! It's great for strengthening the entire leg: from the ankles all the way to the hips. It's an inflated hemisphere that sits flat on the floor, and the best exercise is standing on one leg for a few minutes, and then switching. It's awesome, but expensive, around $100 at Target.
          giddy-yup

I've had some success using the exercises described on this page: http://www.ultrunr.com/shins.html. it sounds like you're already doing some of the exercises described there, but you may find some other ideas also. and for the dumbells, i use an old knee support brace to strap a small 4 lb one to the foot.

SMART Approach

Good link by giddy up. You need to get resistance on toes and bring toes in using tires, cables, bands, weights or whatever. Also, calf stretching is huge for proper function of foot and preventing reoccurence of shin splints. Should also have good support in shoe (are you an over pronator???do you have orthotics???)

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I've been in PT since January for severe tendinitis. Here are some of the things we do: Lots of balance exercises to strengthen all of the leg muscles Wobble board - I finally bought one at Dicks and use it about 20 times a day Stand on one foot on foam pad and rotate other leg in an arc motion Stand on one leg and rock forward and back (leaning) Stand on one leg and raise the other one - rotate at hips bringing knee across front of body and then out to side When you can do the above 2 easily, do them while holding a medicine ball overhead. Toe raises Heel raises Bridges with the stability ball Stand on a step with one leg and lower until other foot almost touches the floor, then raise back up Step onto a foam pad and "nail" your landing i.e., minimum wobble. This is done from all 4 sides of the pad - i.e., stepping forward, stepping sideways, and stepping backward onto it. Resistance bands moving your foot in all 4 directions (easiest if someone else holds the band) Lunges on the Bosu ball Wall sits Stretches Foam roller Ice massage BTW, I've seen the BOSU ball at Linens and Things - I wonder if you could use the 20% off coupons they always send out . . . Just a thought.
                  Good link by giddy up. You need to get resistance on toes and bring toes in using tires, cables, bands, weights or whatever. Also, calf stretching is huge for proper function of foot and preventing reoccurence of shin splints. Should also have good support in shoe (are you an over pronator???do you have orthotics???)
                  I've used bands and cables, I'm looking to move up to weights >10#. I do calf raises with barbell and dumbells regularly. I do over pronate and have prescription orthotics that I got after I was diagnosed. Wish I had those before the fact.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Run hills. High as possible. Mostly steep.
                    Scout7

To add to Trent's comment: Hill Resistance Training
                      JakeKnight

Run hills. High as possible. Mostly steep.
                        Post a picture of your legs, man. Show them you're the Guru.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Calves running me up Pikes Peak marathon.
                          JakeKnight

Look at those freakish things. Get your wife to take a picture from the back. A close up. Just add a content warning to the post. You don't want to scare the children.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Calves running me up Pikes Peak marathon.
                              Those aren't calves. They're steers! Shocked

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those aren't calves. They're steers! Shocked
                                *chokes* Trent, I have to ask...as one large-calved runner to another...do you have a hard time finding jeans that aren't too snug through your calves? I HATE this trend towards skinny jeans--long live boot cuts!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay