iPhone 4s wi-fi connection issues...Google is yielding no answers (Read 733 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can someone es'plain to me why I can't seem to take advantage of public/guest wifi accounts with my iPhone without getting a password? I never was prompted for password with my Droid under the same conditions. I expect I'm missing a setting or something.  Every time I get a web page that wants a password, instead of a page to confirm that I won't use their connection for nefarious purposes.  I can connect to our home wi-fi without issue, since we've already entered the password for that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Same device here, I have not had that issue.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I've not been able to connect to any public w-fi in the month that I've had this device.  Not even once.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Verizon...but I wouldn't think that would matter in terms of connecting to wifi, though, would it...?

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Apparently not, I have Verizon too.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I posted a discussion query over on the Apple support boards.  So far no one's biting.  I suspect I'm going to end up contacting Verizon or bringing it to the Apple store to have it checked-out, given that this doesn't seem to be a common issue.  With only a cheapy 150mb data plan I definitely need to get it figured out to avoid going over.

~ Sarah Kay

ymmv

Seems to me that the WAP you want to connect to is either set up with WEP or WPA, and demands a password, or it is open. Similarly, if open, it either redirects to a ToS page to click thru (before you can access other IP addresses) or it does not. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Seems to me that the WAP you want to connect to is either set up with WEP or WPA, and demands a password, or it is open. Similarly, if open, it either redirects to a ToS page to click thru (before you can access other IP addresses) or it does not. 

But I seem to be the only person who is being prompted for password...at establishments that only required TOS page click through with my previous Android phone.  This is what I don't understand.  It's gotta be something wonky with my phone or how these wifi devices are recognizing it.

~ Sarah Kay

ymmv

But I seem to be the only person who is being prompted for password...at establishments that only required TOS page click through with my previous Android phone.  This is what I don't understand.  It's gotta be something wonky with my phone or how these wifi devices are recognizing it.

Are you saying that, side by side with another person with a different phone, they get right into the very same network but you are prompted for a password, or are you saying that when you were there before with your previous phone you were not prompted for a password and now you are.

If 'B', then the establishment may have changed their router settings.

If 'A', then maybe your previous phone stored the WEP/WPA password so you would get right in the next time.

If you look at your network or wifi settings page, what does your phone tell you about the specific network? I would think it would tell you that the network is either open, or it is secured.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you saying that, side by side with another person with a different phone, they get right into the very same network but you are prompted for a password, or are you saying that when you were there before with your previous phone you were not prompted for a password and now you are.

If 'B', then the establishment may have changed their router settings.

If 'A', then maybe your previous phone stored the WEP/WPA password so you would get right in the next time.

If you look at your network or wifi settings page, what does your phone tell you about the specific network? I would think it would tell you that the network is either open, or it is secured.

C - all of the above.  Last night I was at a bar with free guest wifi and the other 4 people at the table were all able to access wifi without password.  I can't even go to McDonald's and use their wifi without being prompted for a password.

When I have attempted to use free wifi it will always show the network as open (no lock icon), but I'm still receiving the webpage that a private connection would be expected to yield.

~ Sarah Kay

You say it is a webpage asking for the password, not Apple's password dialog box?

It's a long shot, but I wonder if the DNS servers for your wifi connection are set to one of the paid wifi services (like Boingo or something). 

I would test this by going into the details of the wifi connection and changing your dns to 8.8.8.8 the next time this happens. (That IP address is for a free DNS server that Google maintains).

Good luck.

--

Nashville, TN

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Maybe the internet is trying to tell you something.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You say it is a webpage asking for the password, not Apple's password dialog box?

It's a long shot, but I wonder if the DNS servers for your wifi connection are set to one of the paid wifi services (like Boingo or something). 

I would test this by going into the details of the wifi connection and changing your dns to 8.8.8.8 the next time this happens. (That IP address is for a free DNS server that Google maintains).

Good luck.

Yup, it's a page, not the dialog box.

I will give that a try.  I also reset the network settings, so I'll see if that has any effect the next time I am near free wifi.  Someone else suggested that I sync my phone to iCloud, then factory reset and reapply my sync'd stuff if the network settings reset didn't do the job.

Or I could take it to Apple and say "dood, fix my phone!" Tongue

Trent, your theory would hold water were it not for the fact that I can use the wifi in our house without issue, heh. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nobody said the internet would be logical.