long run mileage jump (Read 2009 times)

heelgrad92

well there is a big difference between running 10 miles in an hour and running 10 miles per hour for 22 seconds.  My guess is most teens can run a hundred meters in 22 seconds.  of course the mountain lion can do it in 7 seconds so that's kind of moot. 

It's not moot if your friend next to you can only run it in 11 seconds. Remember kids, if you buddy-up, you don't have to outrun the mountain lion.
      Remember kids, if you buddy-up, you don't have to outrun the mountain lion.

You guys crack me up, hahahaha.... Clown

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How is a mountain lion like a teenage runner?

It thinks if it can go fast enough on the first quarter, it will win the race.

How is it different?

Unlike the teenager, the mountain lion is correct.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hi guys and gals,

This is an interesting discussion, I think, having to do with the relationship between the number of miles per week one is capable of logging, and one's maximum speed over a particular distance, in this case, 5000 meters.

When I ran track in high school, my fastest time in the 100 meters was (IIRC) about 12.4 seconds.  By my calculation, that's about 18 mph.

That was the fastest I was capable of running, and I was a lot faster than most of the other kids.  I'd guess that many of them weren't capable of running 10mph.

Now, to break 20 minutes in a 5k, you have to be capable of running 9.4 mph over the entire 3.1 miles.  Regardless of how many miles you can run per week, aren't there people who simply can't run that fast?

Does logging an ever-increasing number of miles make you faster than you were?

Admittedly you do have to have some level of basic speed to run certain times. But 10 mph? As a max speed!?!

Without some sort of disability or coordination issue that would be unbelievably slow. That's a 22.5 100m at an all out sprint. One of my friends is about the slowest person I know, with a pretty unnatural, gangly stride and he can run 16.5. I think it would be rare to have a healthy HS male that wouldn't be able to break at least 18, and I would bet the majorirty of HSers can at least manage something around 15.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."