Splitting headache during/after swimming?? (Read 3804 times)

pitrunner

Does anyone else have this problem during and immediately after swimming? It happens to me almost every time - open water or pool, doesn't seem to matter. It's a really intense pounding that usually subsides 10-15 minutes after I'm done.

Menace to Sobriety

Can't say, but I'd guess maybe sinus related? I'm assuming it doesn't occur while running, since you didn't mention it, so I would'nt think purely exertion. Maybe the fact that you're horizontal whe swimming creates some sinus pressure? Just a guess.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

pitrunner

Actually, I do sometimes get exertion headaches after running, but only after races or runs over 10 miles. I feel like with swimming, I'm fairly relaxed while doing it and not really pushing my pace very much. Who knows, maybe I need to slow down even more. The sinus idea is inneresting...

Menace to Sobriety

I have sinus issues from time to time, and it bothers me the most when I'm lying down. That's the reason I mentioned it. I used to get exertion headaches back when I was fat and had some high blood pressure issues. Is your BP OK?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

pitrunner

I have sinus issues from time to time, and it bothers me the most when I'm lying down. That's the reason I mentioned it. I used to get exertion headaches back when I was fat and had some high blood pressure issues. Is your BP OK?
            Well, I am fat Big grin but my BP is always pretty low at the doc's office. Should I be checking it post run?
            protoplasm72

Are you holding your breath at all? It might be related to not getting enough air. You should always be inhaling or exhaling, never holding your breath.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Menace to Sobriety

Well, I am fat Big grin but my BP is always pretty low at the doc's office. Should I be checking it post run?
                I'm no doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, just relating my own experiences. My BP was high all the time. So high my doctor looked a little scared. I was really big at the time, nearly twice the man I am today. Cool However, in your avatar pic, you're a little past parallel and your left arm is bent a little too much. Keep that right knee flexed as well, it will help keep you from coming over the top and pulling or slicing everything.

pitrunner

Are you holding your breath at all? It might be related to not getting enough air. You should always be inhaling or exhaling, never holding your breath.
                  I breathe on every 3rd stroke. It feels pretty natural, not like my lungs are going to explode waiting for that 3rd stroke or anyhing. I guess I could try breathing every stroke as an experiment. Thanks for the input!
                  pitrunner

However, in your avatar pic, you're a little past parallel and your left arm is bent a little too much. Keep that right knee flexed as well, it will help keep you from coming over the top and pulling or slicing everything.
                    Haa! I have a terrible slice! Are you for hire? I'll bookmark this post for next spring...I think the clubs are hibernating for winter right now.
                    protoplasm72

I breathe on every 3rd stroke. It feels pretty natural, not like my lungs are going to explode waiting for that 3rd stroke or anyhing. I guess I could try breathing every stroke as an experiment. Thanks for the input!
                      It's not necessarily that you need to breath every stroke or every other stroke. If you are waiting till you turn your head to breath to exhale and then inhale you might not be getting a full breath every time. If you exhale the entire time your face is in the water and then only inhale when you turn to breath you can get a deeper breath. You might be building up an oxygen debt to quickly if you aren't getting good full breaths. It's something I've noticed makes headaches worse if I start with one. Swimming never seems to cause headaches for me though.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Are you drinking during your swim workouts? If you're not, it could be a dehydration induced headache. I always make sure to bring a bottle of water with me at the pool and drink even if I don't feel thirsty.
                        pitrunner

It's not necessarily that you need to breath every stroke or every other stroke. If you are waiting till you turn your head to breath to exhale and then inhale you might not be getting a full breath every time. If you exhale the entire time your face is in the water and then only inhale when you turn to breath you can get a deeper breath. You might be building up an oxygen debt to quickly if you aren't getting good full breaths. It's something I've noticed makes headaches worse if I start with one. Swimming never seems to cause headaches for me though.
                          I'm pretty sure I only inhale when I come out of the 3rd stroke, I feel like I wouldn't have time to squeeze both in. I'll pay closer attention next week. Thank you!
                          pitrunner

Are you drinking during your swim workouts? If you're not, it could be a dehydration induced headache. I always make sure to bring a bottle of water with me at the pool and drink even if I don't feel thirsty.
                            I rarely remember to bring water when I swim. Which is wierd, b/c I'm a water nazi. I'll make sure I do this week and we'll see what happens. Hopefully by incorporation some or all of this advice I'll find a solution. Thank you!
                            Tony Evans

Are you wearing a tight swim cap, are your goggles too tight?
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Too tight cap or goggles are good points, but I remember how surprised I was to find out that I should be hydrating during swimming - and I still find it easy to forget Sad

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.