Can I get there again? (Read 1200 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have just got back from an 11miler. I did 2 x 2 miles hard in the middle. Average mile was 6.52pace. They were run hard but with some left in the tank. This workout gives me confidence for the 10k. Anyone any thoughts on what pace I should try to hold for 10k?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Feeling the growl again

Eddy, I mean this in the nicest way, but you're thinking too much.  Just go out and run it and see what happens, follow how you feel on the day.  It's only a race...and a 10K at that....worst that happens, you learn that you went out too fast or too slow and you try again a couple weeks later.

It will be a lot easier to get back into this if you don't harry yourself over-thinking things.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Nobby, I see that I have upset you, and it has upset me that I have upset you. I dont want to befriend anyone and have always taken your advice with the respect it deserves. I am deeplly sorry for sending you a due msg, suppose it was just a way for me to get a guaranteed response from you as I love to see wht you have to say.

I always listen to what you have to say and respect you wholly. I am sorry for any offence I have caused. 

Eddy:

I'm not upset or feel offended.  But seriously, think about it.  I can't remember where it was but it was I saw but it was some sort of a comedy where this guy wrote a love-letter but he just copied a whole bunch of it and changed the name and sent out to a bunch of girls.  Of course, a problem is; girls always talk!!  So what do you think happened?  And how is that different from what you're doing?

I don't need you to tell me that you always listen to me or respect what I have to say.  I enjoyed Tchuck coming to me and say; "God, I tried that short burst workout before the race and it really worked!!"  I don't care if he respects me or not (I think we have mutual respect for each other); I know he tried it and I know how it worked.

I'm not as nice as some people here; I tend to say what it is as I see it and it could come out rude at times.  I'm not a cheerleader and I certianly don't look like one either.  It seems to me, and I could be very wrong with this one, you like to throw a bunch of questions, collect a whole bunch of answers from various people, but you go ahead and do what you want anyways.  Or you may take a whole bunch of answers and come up with something totally illogical.  I love Mexian food, I love Chinese food, I love Italian food...  But what happens if you put them all together?  That's what you seem to be doing.  What you really need is focus.

To look at your original post, "Can (I) get there again?"  I'd say absolutely!!  But, the way I see it, the way to "get there again" is not to throw a 10k race here and there and try to run a hard workout here and there to make sure you can still run hard.  To me, the way to "get there again" is to sit down and map out what yo uneed to do to get there again.  If you have a problem "doing homework" or to think putting in miles whenever you can is not right, well, I don't know what any of us can do to help you.  It's easy for any one of us to be a cheerleader and say, "You can do it Eddy!  Just get out and run a 10k race...!"  That might be what you want to hear but that's NOT what will get you there.  You remind me a lot of this Japanese guy I met at my college.  On the first day, I went to the student center and registered all the classes I needed to take.  He was there and he followed me and came to my dorm room and asked me if I could help him take classes.  "What do you want to study?" I asked him.  Well, seems to me a logical starting point.  "I want to study English," he said.  Well, then it's easy; he knew exactly what he wanted to do so just take a bunch of English classes.  "Well, but then it's kind of boring..."  Well, there's only so much we can do to help people like that..  You can ask any one of us for specific help but, seriously, the way to ask is not copy-and-paste.  You might get a dozen different people responding you nicely but that's not the way to focus but actually the opposite.

Slow-smooth-fast

Cheers nobby. Suppose I need to listen more, even my brother says that I read to much and I should just go out and run by how i feel. Suppose I am just over analytical and like technicalities.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

L Train

I should just go out and run by how i feel.  

That's not how I read what Nobby wrote.  I read almost the opposite - decide on what you are trying to accomplish, formulate a plan that I'm assuming lasts for more than a few weeks or months, work the plan and trust the plan.  Just my take.   

Feeling the growl again

That's not how I read what Nobby wrote.  I read almost the opposite - decide on what you are trying to accomplish, formulate a plan that I'm assuming lasts for more than a few weeks or months, work the plan and trust the plan.  Just my take.   

To tie together what I said and what I (think) Nobby said, you should have a plan but not get too stressed out by the details.  Have a training plan, map out some workouts, but if life makes you switch it around a bit that's ok and certainly don't over-index on what pace you are running each mile etc.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

+1 

To tie together what I said and what I (think) Nobby said, you should have a plan but not get too stressed out by the details.  Have a training plan, map out some workouts, but if life makes you switch it around a bit that's ok and certainly don't over-index on what pace you are running each mile etc.

This, by the way, is by no mean, training by feel is not good (as Spaniel had suggested).  In fact, some of you may remember we had pointed out "Feeling-based Training" as one of 5 Lydiard training PRINCIPLES.  However, we have come to realize that, unfortunately, some people take this "train by feel" as they do whatever they doggan well please!!  In other words, if they "FEEL LIKE" jumping into a 10k race this weekend, they'll do.  If they "FEEL LIKE" pushing the pace whenever, they'll do it.  If they "FEEL LIKE" doing Tabata sprint work in the middle of marathon preparation, they'll do it.  Of course, that's not what "FEELING-BASE" training is all about at all.  So we are changing it to something like "learning to listen to your own body's response" or "inner coach" or whatever. 

I think Eddy does what he feels like anyways.  What he doesn't do, in my opinion, is to structure training and stick with it; or relax and not worry about details.  Seriously, I'd like to ask any of you here who is a parent; how many of you NEVER dropped off a kid at some place and squeeze your run in within an hour or whatever the time you have before you have to go pick up the kid?  It's not like you are leaving your 5-year-old at NY downtown depo for an hour or anything like that!!  If your wife doesn't approve of you running home from work and you'd have to lie about it, then there's something wrong with the relationship between you and your wife; not your training program.  How many of us never done that in the past?  I had one time let my wife and daughter drive to her parents place for Thanksgiving with my changes and I ran to their place so I could get my run in.  My wife laughed about it, saying that I was just trying to look cool.  I didn't particularly think that was cool--I just wanted to get my run in.

It seems to me...you like to throw a bunch of questions, collect a whole bunch of answers from various people, but you go ahead and do what you want anyways.  Or you may take a whole bunch of answers and come up with something totally illogical.    

What I said earlier.