How do you carry your cell phone during runs? (Read 599 times)

Coastal

I have a Galaxy S 3 which is a very large phone.  It doesn't fit into most carriers, so I wear an amphipod belt with their bigger pouch.  I put the phone in a ziploc when it is raining and tuck the belt under my rain resistant jacket.  So far so good.

I need to carry the phone due to a couple run-ins with a certain individual who objects to anyone on the road in his lane.  The police strongly suggested carrying the phone for a while.

Arimathea

Tessa

It's in a case with a belt clip. I clip it to the center back waistband of my shorts. If I'm wearing a hydration belt, I clip it to the belt.

And for TJoseph: yes it can be important. About 7 years ago I was running alone, 4:15 in the morning, on a brightly lit main road a mile from my house. I was jumped by a man who was standing on the street corner pretending to be waiting for the bus. I am 5 feet tall and was at that time 42 years old and about 150 pounds -- sturdy but smaller than most adult males, including this guy. He came at me from behind and grabbed me. There was a tussle. He wound up with a deeply bitten hand, I managed to break away from him, pulled out my phone, and called the sheriff's department. When he realized that I was on the phone with law enforcement he ran, got into his car which was parked nearby, and fled. I don't like to think what would have happened had I not had a phone and had he managed to pull me into his car. I was lucky to wind up with nothing worse than bruises.

I will not let people like that keep me cowering inside my house running on a treadmill. I like running outside. My schedule dictates that sometimes I have to run when it is dark. I don't always have someone to run with. I have weighed the odds and I think my chances of survival are better if I'm carrying a cell phone with me.

I have also used the phone to summon help in the aftermath of car accidents I've witnessed, to call animal control, and to get assistance for a downed runner during a race. I think carrying it is important.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a good point that you may need a larger pouch if you use a larger phone.

For example, I like to carry this one, as I need to multitask:

Yet another of the many uses to carrying a phone, is so latecomers to a run can ring up, and you can tell them, "we got tired of waiting for your lazy late self, and ran north, but if you go fast you can intercept us at such-and-such a place".

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TJoseph

And for TJoseph: yes it can be important. About 7 years ago I was running alone, 4:15 in the morning, on a brightly lit main road a mile from my house. I was jumped by a man who was standing on the street corner pretending to be waiting for the bus. I am 5 feet tall and was at that time 42 years old and about 150 pounds -- sturdy but smaller than most adult males, including this guy. He came at me from behind and grabbed me. There was a tussle. He wound up with a deeply bitten hand, I managed to break away from him, pulled out my phone, and called the sheriff's department. When he realized that I was on the phone with law enforcement he ran, got into his car which was parked nearby, and fled. I don't like to think what would have happened had I not had a phone and had he managed to pull me into his car. I was lucky to wind up with nothing worse than bruises.

I guess a phone can prevent an attack!  I stand corrected.

TJoseph

Yet another of the many uses to carrying a phone, is so latecomers to a run can ring up, and you can tell them, "we got tired of waiting for your lazy late self, and ran north, but if you go fast you can intercept us at such-and-such a place".

Do you really use that antique?  All the cool kids have color displays:

Julia1971

TJoseph, I tend to think along your lines.  I don't carry a phone with the thought that it's going to prevent an attack.  If anything, the bad guys in my area are libel to mug me for my phone.  (Just this month, a runner was mugged at noon and they stole his GPS watch and sunglasses at gunpoint).  It'll help me call the police afterward but yeah, I'm rarely more than a few hundred yards from a house or business.  But, I've been thinking lately that that might also be useful so I've been carrying it more often.  I was minutes away from a couple of serious incidences last year on my running trail - a woman who was hit by a cyclist and died probably 5 minutes after I past, and a woman who committed suicide by jumping off a bridge maybe 10 minutes before I passed by.  I use the SpiBelt.  It's pretty perfect and can't believe I just discovered it a few months ago.

Edited because I like to post first, and then read what I wrote.

Half Fanatic #846

I stopped carrying a cell phone on my runs - people kept trying to call me.

But really, I've heard of a couple of incidents where potential victims had thwarted trouble simply by pretending to be calling or talking to someone.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I don't.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Doc, my tooth hurts

When it's cold in the winter I carry it in my coat pocket. When it's no coat weather I don't carry it at all.  Also those armbands they make for iphones look hilarious and uncomfortable. I wonder if they will make a sport band for an iPad?

Mostly harmless

Also those armbands they make for iphones look hilarious and uncomfortable. I wonder if they will make a sport band for an iPad?

I use one of these (for my iPhone, not my iPad). I don't always bring my phone with me when i run, but sometimes I trail run alone and it seems like a good idea to have a phone with me in case of emergency.  I'm not sure why you think they look hilarious but to each their own. I don't find mine uncomfortable at all.

If I'm running long enough that I need to bring water, I have a Nathan hydration belt that has a small pocket in the front that I can tuck my phone, ID, car key and a few dollars in.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You might consider this model, with the built-in arm workout devices.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You might consider this model, with the built-in arm workout devices.

What big eyes and mouth your phone has.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Mysecondnewname

This:  http://www.armpocket.com/

Fits my phone well, comfortable, and doesn't slip.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'll try the flipbelt thing first, see how it does.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I'm another FlipBelt devotee.  I put my mp3 player in there as well as my Samsung Galaxy S3.  I often also put my new car's key fob in there.  In a marathon I've put 3 or 4 e-Gels in it too.  I end up not using any of my other belts (SpiBelt, etc) any more with the exception of a race number belt to hold my bib.