Anyone use a doggy backpack? (Read 652 times)

as in, to make your furry running partner carry his/her own water on long dry runs? I took my Golden Retriever on a 9+ mile trail run last weekend, and the creeks are already dry. Felt bad for him, he was frothing at the mouth, and the temp was only in the 60's-70's. I'd like to keep him running with me all summer, but he'll have to carry his own H2O. There are a few different brands out there, but I'd appreciate any reviews from forumites.... Undecided
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      we have one for our golden...but he carries OUR water. dumb dog won't drink water when we take him anywhere unless it's a creek. We got ours from REI...it's a Kelty K9 chuckwagon. I have a hard time getting to stay straight on him. Not sure if it's the product or operator error. Dead here's Tonka a few days ago on a hike with us...

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love Tonka. He is a really cute dog! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

awwwwwww I can't wait to be able to run with my Golden!!! I'll definetly make her carry her own water Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I love Tonka. He is a really cute dog! Smile k
            yah. he's a big old oof! the sweetest, dopiest, easy going dog ever. I have never run with him, can you believe it? Mostly because I always had kids with me until this last fall and dogs are only allowed on the boardwalks early in the morning or late in the afternoon. After the RnR, I may start getting him out there this summer. Shy Right now, I'm not willing to do a short run with him and the distance I run now would kill him. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

yah. he's a big old oof! the sweetest, dopiest, easy going dog ever.
              I have a cat with a personality like that. Only he's big, fat, and lazy--though he's our king mouser (our cats are all indoor, but they keep our old house rodent-free...we still have had 2 bats and a squirrel in here that we have managed to help back to the outdoors where they belong). I can't imagine Thor running, however. The only time he runs is when it's meal-time! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay