First 1/2 Marathon (Read 1189 times)

siemsie9

Hi there~

I am new to running! I have been an avid soccer player but never really enjoyed running without chasing a ball! A coworker and I decided at the start of January we would start training for a 1/2 marathon in June in San Diego! Any tips from the pros? We got a training schedule from marathonrookie.com that is 10 weeks, but decided to double it since we do not consider ourselves "runners."  We are on our 4th week and doing pretty well, is there a certain type of shoe that works best for long distance running? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hey siemsie9, if you are new to running, you may want to drop by a running store and try out a few different shoes.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

nesman89

run consistently.  no matter what try to run 4-6 days per week unless of course you have an injury.  run through rain, snow, sun etc if you run when you don't feel like it you will be able to finish pretty easily.  1 last thing make sure you build your long runs slowly i add 1 mile to my long run each week about 8 weeks out by the time the half comes around you should be good to go.

I feel like I'm wrapped in a spring roll. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hey siemsie9, if you are new to running, you may want to drop by a running store and try out a few different shoes.

agree, and although it's typically not a guy thing to do, don't go with a shoe that is cute or cool looking, actually get fitted by someone who can find the right shoe for your stride.  I've actually bought running shoes from a picture on the internet before, not entirely logical.

My only advice is to gradually increase your miles, and focus on those miles as opposed to pace.  Increasing your pace is what you do after you've got all of the recommended base miles in, and you can do them comfortably without lingering aches and pains.  Slow and steady wins the race (or finishes the race, rather).

IMKY13 finish!!

I've actually heard this advice been given to another soccer player turned runner.  In soccer, you tie your shoes as tight as you can...however, with running shoes, don't tie them as tight, since your foot will expand as you run.  The soccer player used to complain of his feet hurting until he loosened his shoes.  Just my 2 cents. Smile

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

+ 2. Go to a RUNNING store, not a sporting goods store. Most have true runners that know what they are doing. Expect (and therefore dress) to run on a treadmill, as they will probably want to watch your stride, how your foot strikes, etc. The shoes cost the same or less than the big stores.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Half Fanatic #846

I am new to running!  ... got a training schedule ... that is 10 weeks, but decided to double it

If you're new to running, that's a a very smart move!  Good luck on your race.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

siemsie9

Thanks everyone for all the good advice!