Garmin 405, two versions? (Read 1174 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I noticed that the 405 sells in two ways, with and without the HR monitor. What I am wondering is, if I have the HR strap for the 305, can I buy the 405 with out the HR monitor and use my old strap?

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

if I have the HR strap for the 305, can I buy the 405 with out the HR monitor and use my old strap?
      Yes.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

The Greatest of All Time

Yes.
        Are you sure about that? I am not saying you're wrong, but I would have assumed there was a difference in the wrist piece????
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          I've read in several places that the HR strap is the same. So if you've got a strap, then it will work with the 405.

Marathon runners suffer the agony of da feet

You might want to check - the HR monitors are supposed to be "coded" to your watch so that you don't read someone else's HR when running next to them.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

You might want to check - the HR monitors are supposed to be "coded" to your watch so that you don't read someone else's HR when running next to them.
              I know that with the 305, you can "resync" to the HR monitor, as well as a cadence sensor. also since you can buy replacement HR straps, you can connect to the new strap. I guess I'm asking if the HR strap for the 305 and 405 are identical. The pictures for the 405 HR strap look the same as the 305 HR strap. When I upgraded from the 301 to the 305, the straps were different.

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.

Are you sure about that? I am not saying you're wrong, but I would have assumed there was a difference in the wrist piece????
                I am 100% positive. From Garmin: yes, the 405 is compatible with the heart rate monitor strap from the 305. You simply "pair" the HR strap with the 405 (it's a simple menu operation to complete the pairing step). That's the beauty of ANT+Sport technology -- interconnectivity with multiple compatible devices. Same goes for the speed/cadence sensor for use on a bike and the foot pod, for use indoors. Source is Here (note: this is an official Garmin site)

I guess I'm asking if the HR strap for the 305 and 405 are identical.
                  Now you're asking a different question. The replacement HR straps for the 305 and the 405 have different product nos., so they might not be identical. I do not recall any reviews that suggested Garmin made any changes to the design of the strap, but its possible. If they did, any such changes were purely cosmetic. To avoid confusion, allow me to reiterate that even if Garmin did make the 405 strap different than the 305 strap, it is 100% confirmed that the 305 strap will work with the 405.

The Greatest of All Time

I have a suggestion: Call Garmin So the extra $50 I paid for my 405 was for the HRM strap? And the wrist piece is the same no matter what? I'll buy that (in fact I already did Big grin )

I have a suggestion: Call Garmin
                      Objection and move to strike. Asked and answered. Wink
                      So the extra $50 I paid for my 405 was for the HRM strap? And the wrist piece is the same no matter what?
                      Yes, all 405 wrist pieces have the built-in ability to sync with HR strap, bike cadence sensor, and the footpod.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Great this is good news. My 305 bit "the big one" yesterday so I'm weighing whether to go 405 or not. With the compatibility of the HR straps the 305-405 gap narrows lowest 305 I found was $200, 405 is $299

Swim 2.4 miles.
                        Ride 112 miles.
                        Run 26.2 miles.

I am 100% positive. From Garmin: yes, the 405 is compatible with the heart rate monitor strap from the 305. You simply "pair" the HR strap with the 405 (it's a simple menu operation to complete the pairing step). That's the beauty of ANT+Sport technology -- interconnectivity with multiple compatible devices. Same goes for the speed/cadence sensor for use on a bike and the foot pod, for use indoors. Source is Here (note: this is an official Garmin site)
                          Great news! Thanks for the info - you know, in case I need the 405 Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

The Greatest of All Time

I know I have seen you somewhere. Wink

PWL

Has been

The Garmin lettering on the front of the HR monitor is in a different font on the 405 vs the 305. Just so ya know... Wink

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I know I have seen you somewhere. Wink
                                "But Your Honor, I didn't like the witness's answer -- I need to ask the question again so I can fix the record."