Purdey comes to the confessional.... (Read 825 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I have a confession. I have just come back from an enforced lay off - and I'm trying to (gently) get back into my running. My confession is this: I now weigh 15 Stone. 95 Kg. 209 Lbs. !!!! FFS !!!! My ideal weight (and I have only been at it a couple of times in my life!) is 72Kg. Boy do I have a long way to go - and to think... I've got a trail marathon in Oct this year, and (hopefully) an ultra in Autumn 2009. Anyone got any tips for losing the blubber quickly? Purdey. [Sad. Depressed. Fat. Running... slowly]

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Come hang with us here......groups/jiggly_joggers Weigh-in is Monday AM. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yikes! I'm joining Fat Club! Wink

I have lost a total of 264-149 = 115 lbs. However... I was 264 and went down to 180 = 84 lbs... then I went back up to 202 and then down to where I am now... 202-149 = 53... 84 + 53 = 137 lbs total... Ok so I have an idea of how to loose weight... I will say this... in my experience loosing weight fast is a bad idea. Fast weight loss is temporary. I could tell you how to drop 6-8 lbs in the first week but most of that would be poop and water... lol... To do it right so it is sustainable ... meaning able to keep it off and to continue to loose waiste (weight) you have to do it at a measured pace. 1/2 to 1.5 lbs a week. Do some simple math. They say a lbs of fat is roughly 3500 calories... divided by 7 days tha tis 500 calories a day. I hate being hungry. when I cross over a daily deficit of more the 500 calories in a day I get hungry. If you loose weight too quickly the wieght may be just water... in which case when you resume normal eating the water will come back... also you will loose some weight if you reduce the amount of food you eat just because you will be carrying less poop. If you don't eat enough your body will enter starvation mode and then you will not loose weight and you will have weight loss platues... If you have a platue try eating more. and if you are running that much... eating controlled at the number of calories you need to maintain weight (without running)... and just letting the running burn the extra calories should pull the weight off... (edit: of course on days you run longer you will have to eat more... ) Short answer Don't try to loose it fast. my one tip... plan your breakfast and lunch the day before... don't eat out. Log your food intake for at least 3 consecutive weeks a a site like fitday.com ... record your morning weight everyday (don't focus on the day to day but look for a trend)... AND THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP Don't give up. If you keep trying you will get there eventually.
          C-R

To do it right so it is sustainable ... meaning able to keep it off and to continue to loose waiste (weight) you have to do it at a measured pace. 1/2 to 1.5 lbs a week.
            I agree with that and Zooms offer. Join a group to keep you motivated and supported. I've not had the success jsobo has had (well done!) but his type of story helped me set a goal of 1 lb per week at the start of the year. I didn't want radical so my plan was simple - run more (slow pace and slowly build miles) and eat a little more sensible. For me that meant packing my lunch to work every day. I usually have leftovers and I bring a snack (usually a fruit or something lite - no junk food) for midmorning and mid afternoon. On occassion I do cheat a little at dinner - hey I'm not a zealot Smile. What I've found over these past four months is that 1) I don't get as hungry when I get home and I eat a more sensible portion for dinner 2) I saved lots of money by not eating out for lunch 3) I am running without injury because I am taking my time. The results so far are not earth shattering. I've lost 17 lbs to date (yes I'm a couple of lbs behind my goal but that's ok as long as I'm moving in the right direction - I am in no hurry as this is a long term change Big grin) and I'm averaging 35+ mpw. It can be done - do it slowly and achievable chunks. Instead of thinking 55 lbs, think 1 lb/per week over a year. Think one extra mile per week and next thing you know, you'll be at 40 mpw. One note - let your body drive you and not the numbers. Best of luck, you'll get there as you sound like you have the right reasons and the motivation.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Put on some muscle mass. Lift weights in addition to running. Building muscle mass raises your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which means even when you are watching TV and sleeping you will be burning more calories. That adds up when you think most people average maybe 1 hour of exercise a day vs. 23 hours of other activity. Start with low weight and gradually increase. You won't get bulky unless you try to get bulky and want that. Plus it should help you maintain running form when tired.
                sorry double post
                  as a note... some stuff I saw says a pound of muscle burns approximately 35-50 calories a day. Generally it looks like about .5 lbs a muscle a week with intense weight training is about the maximum you can gain. But also it is generally stated that to gain 10 pounds of muscle you will put on 4-10 lbs of fat as well. this article was pretty good... http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/fail.htm but lets look at that... so you would have to work your tail off for 10 weeks to gain 5 lbs of muscle... but then have added say 2 extra lbs of fat... and well... now you can burn a whoping 175 calories a day more... which is just over 1/2 a snickers bar? I still say fork put downs are the best excercise for weight loss... ;-)

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

as a note... some stuff I saw says a pound of muscle burns approximately 35-50 calories a day. Generally it looks like about .5 lbs a muscle a week with intense weight training is about the maximum you can gain. But also it is generally stated that to gain 10 pounds of muscle you will put on 4-10 lbs of fat as well. this article was pretty good... http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/fail.htm but lets look at that... so you would have to work your tail off for 10 weeks to gain 5 lbs of muscle... but then have added say 2 extra lbs of fat... and well... now you can burn a whoping 175 calories a day more... which is just over 1/2 a snickers bar? I still say fork put downs are the best excercise for weight loss... ;-)
                    Not sure what the argument here is and why you are trying to refute the claim. I never stated that a better diet isn't a good and important thing to do while trying to lose weight. Of course it is. You said you struggle going beyond a 500 calorie reduction, add 5 pounds of muscle and get that 175-250 calories, I bet 250 is a lot easier to make. Sure it may only be half a snickers, but in quality food it can be a lot of volume that will stop craving/hunger pains. For a 2000-2500 calorie diet, that is 7-12%, quite a bit. Plus, I can easily burn the same amount of calories in the weight room as the equivalent time spent running. Check out some Biggest Loser clips if you want to see what a valued component of weight loss strength training is. They definitely put on muscle mass and lost a ton of weight to boot, all in a relatively healthy manner.

Member Since 2008

My best advice is to log in what you eat. It will make you think about it before you put it in your mouth. and oh yea, run alot.
                      Go Daddy

A simple trick that helped me was running at night. It really made me think about what I was eating and how it would affect my run. The quantity of food went down and the quality improved. I dropped 42 lbs in three months and have maintained the weight for three years. Everyone has put in great ideas revolving around the basic truth that diet and exercise are the keys to weight management. Whatever you do, Good Luck and burn that trail in October.

A Saucy Wench

I had to log what I ate for quite awhile when I was losing weight (I lost 55 lbs last year). I am now trying to learn to do without logging, but I am going to be flat out honest and say I could not have gotten where I am without logging. I was able to try different things within a calorie range to discover what was workable for me in terms of long term sustainability, which means NOT HUNGRY. How to fit in the stuff I really like and where. NOW I have that knowledge and am working on making it automatic. I know it will always be a struggle. Diet is #1 thing that has to change Exercise is #2. I so wanted it to be the other way around because I can DO exercise.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7