lower leg problems (Read 538 times)

hii everyone, i'm new to the board but not a new runner! Big grin well i started having problems with my calves this summer (when i run, they get unbearably super tight and takes like 10minutes to stretch out) but this problem has gone away somewhat and a new problem surfaced. after a harder than usual run, my heel and ankle started hurting. and i had no idea why because i didn't push myself THAT hard, you know? well, that was a little over two weeks ago, from there, i've noticed when i rotate my ankle or point my toes or walk, even, a knot forms near my Achilles tendon/ankle and it HURTS. it's fine when i run though, but i dunno, when i rest my legs and then get up again and am active (not exercising, but walking around the house) it hurts. at first i thought maybe my shoes didn't provide enough heel cushioning (that was before i noticed the knot) but i bought insoles and used them. it helps a little, but not much. well, i guess what i'm asking is.. how do i ease the pain? and better yet, why the heck is it still hurting? Sad thanks Undecided
    PWL

Has been

My less-than-educated guess is that the tightness in your calves might be causing a strain on your Achilles/heel. I have heard of tight calves creating issues with the Achilles tendon, etc. A good option might be to include some type of yoga or serious stretching sessions into your routine. That's my two cents--good luck!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep...I have pretty tight calves (to the point where sometimes I get what I am almost certain is chronic compartment syndrome...numb feet from minimalized blood supply) and often find my ankles and achilles area also gets tight and sore. The last stretch on this page really helps, as does really concentrating on stretching the entire back of the leg well...hams, calves. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay