Snow Trax - don't buy them! (Read 425 times)

Sorry for the repetitiveness for those of you who have already seen me post this elsewhere on this forum, as well as on the RWOL forum. However I am just trying to get the word out to save anyone else the aggravation. Snow Trax are from Costco & kind of look like Yaktrax, although much cheaper of course. Same kind of steel coil construction in front, with spikes in back. They worked great for 2 runs. However during the 3rd, they started to slide around on my feet so I had to keep stopping to readjust them. Then later a couple of the coils completely broke apart. Clearly these things are not meant for running.

Dave

sugnim

I like the Due North spikes.  2 Montana winters later, and they are still going strong.  I've never slipped or fallen in them, and I've never had to use the replacement spikes that came with them.  Well worth the $15 I paid for them at the LRS.

Hoban-Jay

Stick with the YakTrax...I've had mine for 15-17 winters and they're just starting to break down now.  I figure I've got at least this one ast winter in them and perhaps, if I'm lucky, one more.

RunSaintRun

I like the Due North spikes.  2 Montana winters later, and they are still going strong.  I've never slipped or fallen in them, and I've never had to use the replacement spikes that came with them.  Well worth the $15 I paid for them at the LRS.

Are the Due North spikes removable???  What sort of shoe do you wear in cold weather, below 20 degrees???

Thanks,

Saint

I say avoid most all these products... gives me a horrible running experience when trying to run in this stuff.

---------

MrH

I've done maybe a dozen 10 mile runs in the snow trax. They worked OK but I haven't compared them to the YakTrax.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

sugnim

Are the Due North spikes removable???  What sort of shoe do you wear in cold weather, below 20 degrees???

Thanks,

Saint

Yes, they're completely removable.  I run in my standard ASICS running shoes when it's below 20 degrees.  Your feet will warm up as you go.  Some people like to wear wool socks when they run in the cold, but I use the same socks year-round.  When it's wet, I wear goretex running shoes, but most people seem to not like them for whatever reason.