Tired of the cold (Read 693 times)

Ajaxinacan, OK - the venting is done. Time to HTFU, Marine. Buy some Smartwool socks. Buy a decent balaclava for the face (about $20-$30). Layer your clothing.If you are running into the wind on a particularly chilly day, consider an extra layer down south for the boys, too. Don't forget to hydrate, even in the colder temps. Spring will be here before you know it. Teens are not bad temps to run in.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

It's about 80 outside right now and I just got back from a run. I'm wringing the sweat out of my shirt now. Sorry guys, I just had to say something. Don't feel bad though, I know where you all are coming from. This is only my first year in Hawaii, so I've done my share in cold weather as well... Mike

~Mike

Go Daddy

I'm with lfichtel. Plenty of mornings the past couple weeks with temps below zero and wind chills in the -20's. It seems like each morning brings a new variation of temps, wind, snow and ice. Available routes limited by snow pack. "Cushion" shoes that do not cushion when the soles are frozen, Snow shoveling is now strength training. Black ice = bruised hips and knees. Frozen tire ruts and frozen footprints = twisted ankles. Poor footing on each stride, frozen eyelashes, layering in a load of laundry... I cannot imagine how boring it would be to run in warm weather all year round. I think back to Dr. George Shehan's writings on the human animal. Peolple have the ability to function in the cold. The human experience is lined with people and places that grew and thrived in conditions like this long before tech shirts and tights. There is a certain pride in being able to emulate our ancestors in not backing down to Mother Nature. Take what is given and make the best of it. Think about the 90 degree days when you wish there was a cool breeze.

Just Be

Go out and threaten the cold with your best knife! That'll make it run away! Tongue
            Go out and threaten the cold with your best knife! That'll make it run away! Tongue
            Sorry, I don't get it. Confused As for cotton sweats, I do wear wicking materials underneath, I just love old-fashioned cotton fleece. I learned to run in them when I was in High School in Colorado.
            Do bears bear? Do bees be?

Just Be

Sorry, I don't get it. Confused
              Just my silly humor. I tend to personify things more than most.
                I've run through the last seven winters and this is about the time of year I get pretty sick of running in the cold. I missed my last two runs due to weather, one due to 4F temps and 40 mph winds and this morning due to 8" of fresh snow overnight. Come on spring! Tom
                We've had the same weather here in Toronto and I took both days off as well. On the bright side it is only 4 more weeks until March 1st. I know it can still get cold and snow in March but I have always considered Winter DONE on March 1st. Even if I only ran 4 times a week for the next 4 weeks I'd be happy and ready to ramp it up, with another Winter behind me.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

kcam

Me too. I am frickin sick and tired of running in 50 deg weather. Bring on the spring.
                    yeah running in 60 is hard as well. I think me coldest run has been in the mid 30's. Being from the south I am not a cold weather person at all. If the temp gets around 40 here I am freezing cold.
                    2009 Goals...:
                    -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
                      It's not that cold in Tokyo. High twenties most mornings. I ran on snow and ice for the first time ever this morning. It was fun as a novelty (crunch, crunch) but I wouldn't want to always be watching for slippery ice and ankle-twisting frozen snow chunks. Hats off to you guys who run in those conditions all winter.

Jeremy

Runs with ALTITUDE!

It's been brutal up here in the Rockies too. Doesn't help that at 7500ft the air is already dry...it's been drier than usual and is contributing to my exercise induced asthma more this year than for a long time. Worse still...in these here parts...it won't be spring until....hmmmm...about friggin' July! If it's not ice, it's snow and if it's not snow it's sub zero! But I'm not whining...really I'm not! Roll eyes