Half marathon training schedule with weight loss - look ok? (Read 505 times)

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

I'm a 52 Year Old Male, 5' 9". I've run in 4 marathons and plenty of races, just nothing lately. Started training for the Long Beach Half Marathon in July, the event is coming up this October 12th. Starting weight was a chubby 180lbs. Tongue Twenty mile a week base. Big grin Been adding 10% a week to the mileage with one long run and one speedwork session each week. My plan takes me to a maximum of 46 miles/week two weeks prior to the race with a 16 mile long run. The last week is a little taper down to 30 miles per week. I've also been trying to drop my weight to 165 lbs by the week prior to the race. That's roughly 2 lbs per week. Current calorie level is set at 1400-1650 per day. That might be a little low with my increasing mileage so I am considering raising it slightly so I don't drop too much weight or lose my energy level. The week prior to the race I'd go back to 2000 calories a day as well. I'm hoping that will help give me the energy needed for the race. I'm still concerned that the weight loss may hurt my strength on race day. I'm shooting to go under 1:45 for the half. Haven't run the half in two years but ran it in 1:40.
      I like the idea of going up on the calories the last week, I usually do it also and try to enjoy the week and stay calm. I always run a 10k at MP on the Tuesday or Wednesday before the race as dress rehearsal to see how I feel. If I am a little sick, then I rest the following 2 or 3 days otherwise I train lightly. I am going to continue this trend but I might run like 15 to 30 seconds slower than pace next time with maybe 2 miles at race pace to make sure I don't use up glycogen stores.

Ham & Egger

Hard training + fairly aggressive weight loss= trouble. Seriously, if you're going to try to get the performance you want, you need solid training. And solid training requires recovery. And recovery requires calories. IMO, better to show up heavy w/ mileage under your belt than show up lighter w/ spotty training. For me, anything 300-350 deficit and my workouts go to the toilet. Of course, you've got to figure out what works for you, but I'd leary of doing anything more than a pound per week...
        www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com
          You are a more experienced runner than I am, so I am not going to comment on your running schedule, but once I get over 35 mile/week, I can't seem to maintain my weight and my energy level suffers during my runs and have to conscioulsy eat high protein/high calorie diet to maintain weight. So maybe if performing well at the HM is your goal, just focus on the running and let the mileage increase take care of the weight.

Feeling the growl again

2 lbs/week is aggressive on the mileage you describe. But everyone is individual; monitor your energy level and if the race is your primary goal, you need to be able to train so don't be afraid to increase your intake if you need to.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Update. Losing weight while increasing mileage is a balancing act. The last few days it's been apparent that I need to add some calories to my diet. I'm dropping weight a bit too quickly and I've experienced some light headedness in the evenings. (Or could it have been the beer I drank? nah) Anyway, I still feel strong on all my runs with plenty of energy. I ran 15.5 miles this morning at a 9:00/mile pace with plenty of energy left. So I will to continue watching my weight daily and monitor calories, but increase them more quickly as needed. Will bump them up to 1800 for two weeks then back to 2000 the week prior to the event. With the option to adjust again as needed, especially if I hit my goal of 165 early. Thanks everyone for your input.