Vintage running photo (Read 1015 times)

Check out this cool vintage photo. You won't find any Nike's here! Start of a 1927 440 yard dash Tom
      awesome photo!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Nice find.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Duncan

makes me feel like going out for a run Smile
            Great photo. I'm impressed with how fit that group looks. Thanks for introducing me to the site. I'll be browsing photos for a while.

an amazing likeness

Look how lean everyone is in that picture, foreground and background....things have really changed drastically from the WW2 era onward.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I had the same question as the commenter below, where is the stagger start if it is a 440? It certainly looks intense enough to be a 440. Anyway, interesting photo. I've always wondered what it would be like to run on a dirt track.
                  I got lost in the site....

Into the wild

Thanks for the new wallpaper for my desktop.. Big grin

Shut up and run

So virile !

- Anya

Alex Meyer

I had the same question as the commenter below, where is the stagger start if it is a 440? It certainly looks intense enough to be a 440. Anyway, interesting photo. I've always wondered what it would be like to run on a dirt track.
                        Running on a dirt track is tough. My high school still has one and it is much slower than the new rubberized tracks. But, it does make for good training because it is lower impact.
                          Look how lean everyone is in that picture, foreground and background....things have really changed drastically from the WW2 era onward.
                          Well of course the runners are lean and how many fat people are going to go to a track meet. But yes I get your point of there being more fat people now than then.
                          Len

Damn Yankee

Well of course the runners are lean and how many fat people are going to go to a track meet. But yes I get your point of there being more fat people now than then.
                            I think Gravel was referring to the fact that these guys are less muscular than current quarter milers tend to be..

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Anyway, interesting photo. I've always wondered what it would be like to run on a dirt track.
                              Great photograph. Thanks. I also wonder about the stagger start. One of our track meets was held down the road in Byers, Colorado, which at that time had a dirt track. It ain't what it's cracked up to be. In my experience, though, the great runners were great no matter what the surface.
                              Do bears bear? Do bees be?
                                The stagger start wasn't discovered until several years later. Rumor has it that a race director looking to change things up a bit, staggered upon it. Hence the name.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM