Recommend Running Shoe for Supinator/Underpronator ? (Read 129 times)

For those who underpronate/supinate, which running shoes,  which you have worn, would you recommend?  Soon, I will need to replace my current shoes with ones to best address this issue.  Give me your thoughts.  Thanks.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

bozydeco,

Are you currently having issues related to the supination/underpronation?   What kind of shoes are you currently running in?

I have high arches and underpronate - for me this led to issues with my peroneal tendon (which led to other issues, as well).

Because of the issues I was having, I did much research on this topic.  Everything I have learned indicates that underpronaters should stay away from stability shoes and stick with more neutral shoes.

I run in Asics Cumulus and they have worked for me.

As a side note, I ended up having to get a custom orthotic to get past my peroneal issue (but not every underpronater needs orthotics).

Best of luck.

You can call me Anna

Chasing the bus

My local running store put me in Brooks Glycerine 9's, and after 500 miles, I think they're the best shoe I've run in. I also like my brooks Pure Drift, but they're pretty light on cushion, so I save those for short days.

FWIW, when I run, my left foot launches literally off the third toe...the right is not nearly that bad.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

My current running shoes are Saucony Guide 6, previous ones are Brooks Ravenna 3 and Asics Gel- Nimbus 14.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

I supinate a fair bit and have run almost exclusively in Saucony Kinvaras for the last number of years.  I don't know if this is good advice or not, but they work for me.  I recently bought a pair of virratas and they seem to be working well also.  The biggest problem is that I don't wear down the shoes where the manufacturer expects me to, and consequently the strategic bits of harder carbon rubber on the Virratas are in somewhat of the wrong place.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Mizuno Wave Rider.  I love 'em.

Jeff

Okay I just ordered the Kinvara 3s from Running Warehouse.  Got last year's model at liquidation price of $58 minus a 15% coupon code which I found online.  Thanks everyone.

bhearn

Anything neutral and cushioned.

RunswithBeer

I have tried:

Kinvara - Always injured (Peroneal and Post Tib)

Asics Gel Nimbus - Didn't like them at all, I took them back. I think I was fitted improperly though.

Brooks Glycerin - Nice but I felt as though my legs fatigued quickly

Nike Vomero - So far so good. A little over year free of injury. Actually started using a Lynco insole and some of the other aches and pains went away too.

I've fit numerous runners with a large amount of supination in my time spent on the floors of running shops.. some shoes that have worked VERY well include:

Nike Vomero

Mizuno Wave Rider

Brooks Glycerin

And recently... the Adidas Energy Boost

---------

Resident Sk8r boi

As a supinator/underpronator who has tried almost everything out there, I am finding a good match with the Wave Rider. It has good cushion and, I feel, the wave plate gives me a little extra ground protection ( like Dr. evil, I cannot back this up with facts...) in the outside edge of my foot, a usual sore spot in other shoes.

Find somewhere with  good test run policy give as many options as you can a thorough test. It really is the only way to know.