Farah vs Bolt 600m race (Read 295 times)

I'd like to see this race. Any predictions?

Would Bolt succumb to lactic acid near the end and fall behind or will he be able to have a final kick to the finish to win. Farah's only limiter here is raw speed, so I figure the outcome rests on Bolt's ability to maintain to have a final kick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1720497-usain-bolt-vs-mo-farah-at-600-meters-it-could-happen

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Feeling the growl again

It was a very good choice of distance to compare them.  IMHO Bolt's aerobic development is worse than Farah's speed.  I think he will tie up badly over the last ~250m.  I think Farah can pull it off.  He is now one of the best 1500m runners ever; he may not have Bolt's sprint ability but he certainly does not really lack for speed.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I think this should be an easy win for Farah. I'd guess the break even point would be somewhere between 500 and 550m.

Why is it sideways?

Not to be the contrarian here, but I've seen a 600 yard race (tellingly, it was labeled a "dash" not a run) in college, and the guy who won it was a 400 guy, and he ran a time that no distance runner could touch -- 69 seconds. Bolt regularly runs 600s in practice, and I read on the internet (so it must be true) that Bolt ran a 1:57 800m as a 15 year old.

Not to mention that Bolt is a generationally transcendent athlete, whereas Farah is "only" your run of the mill Olympic Gold medalist.

So, I go with Bolt.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

DoppleBock

Bolt has 45.28 in 400 without focussing on it

He is a smart and competetive guy ~ He is not going to run a 19.xx 200 and tie up ... he will run 1 of 2 ways.  Either run a speed that he thinks will give him his fastest 600 ... or sit on Farah with the though of making him look slow the last 50 or 100.

of course Farah has a 800 of 1:48 back in 2003

The real question is what time do you think will win ... This is for charity, so I do not expect them to be at 100% peak.

I was thinking it would be between 69.0-70.xx, I would be a little disappointed if it was over 71.0

Not to be the contrarian here, but I've seen a 600 yard race (tellingly, it was labeled a "dash" not a run) in college, and the guy who won it was a 400 guy, and he ran a time that no distance runner could touch -- 69 seconds. Bolt regularly runs 600s in practice, and I read on the internet (so it must be true) that Bolt ran a 1:57 800m as a 15 year old.

Not to mention that Bolt is a generationally transcendent athlete, whereas Farah is "only" your run of the mill Olympic Gold medalist.

So, I go with Bolt.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

joescott

Ha ha, well *he* certainly thinks so.  I'm surprised he can run as fast as he can with the mass of that cabeza of his.

My money would be on Farah to win decisively.  I don't think there is a 100m guy on the planet who would have a hope of defeating a truly elite distance runner like Farah at 600m.  400 guys, maybe, but not 100m guys.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DoppleBock

But what time?

I do think the 500 would have been a distance more equalizing.

Ha ha, well *he* certainly thinks so.  I'm surprised he can run as fast as he can with the mass of that cabeza of his.

My money would be on Farah to win decisively.  I don't think there is a 100m guy on the planet who would have a hope of defeating a truly elite distance runner like Farah at 600m.  400 guys, maybe, but not 100m guys.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

joescott

But what time?

I do think the 500 would have been a distance more equalizing.

I think your guess of around 69-70 seems reasonable to me.

- Joe

I think anything 600 meters or over and farah will take the win but if its under 600 i think it would be preeeeetty close. bolt is capable of 43-44 for 400 which could create some ground in between the 2 and then all bolt would have to do is just hang on. it would be very close though

Why is it sideways?

Right, but Bolt would be a 400 guy if the 100m wasn't the glory event of T&F.

Right, but Bolt would be a 400 guy if the 100m wasn't the glory event of T&F.

bolt WAS a 400 guy before he transitioned into the 100/200

Why is it sideways?

bolt WAS a 400 guy before he transitioned into the 100/200

Right. I think before it's all said and done he will hold the WR in the 400 as well. I don't think that he made that transition because he was necessarily better at the 100m, but because of the prestige of the event. That's what I was trying to say. Maybe you are just agreeing with me?

joescott

I don't think that he made that transition because he was necessarily better at the 100m, but because of the prestige of the event.

No way.

- Joe

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Bolt's race to lose.  I've gotta say this is awesome.

**Ask me about streaking**