Pain in a Part of My leg (Read 750 times)

So.. this is going to be hard to explain. Everybody know that bone that runs along your calf on the right side of your right leg? Yeah, it runs up along your calf and runs into your knee somewhere to the right of it. Everybody tracking? Probably not but it's hard to explain. It's not my knee, but it's the bone that runs along it on the right side. Somehow, I injured it doing lunges last week. A few days later, it wasn't bothering me at all so I ran a couple of miles. Came back, and it yelled at me all night. The next day it hurt a bit but by yesterday there was no pain so I ran again and yep, it hurt again. All day yesterday and all day today. (Not to mention it feels like I sprained my foot somehow but I'm just falling apart it seems) My point is this: does anybody know any exercises I could do to strengthen it so it doesn't hurt again? Bending too far down (like squats and lunges) just hurt. Doing a lunge is how I hurt it to began with and it felt like it was about to pop out of place. It feels like all I have to do is pop it and it will be fine but I have no idea if that bone, if that's what it is, is even popable. Any help would be appreciated because I'm trying to get into running again but my leg is not helping.
    "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven or hell." –John Milton "Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
    mldrabenstott

If it's the outside of your lower leg, that bone is the fibula. It starts at the knee and stretches to the lateral malleolus, or that bony protrusion on the outside of your ankle. It sounds like you may have strained a muscle that runs along the fibula. That could cause pain at the point of strain and refer pain down to your foot where the muscle connects. When strained, a muscle can pull irregularly on bones and joints, causing odd sensations elsewhere. Press your fingers into the area where the pain primarily emanates. If you feel a bump or a knot or a concentration of pain, that might be the culprit. A good massage therapist could help you work that out as it recovers. The other culprit could be a strained or inflamed ligament that's connected to the fibula. There's a good diagram here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Knee_diagram.png . That could move something out of place slightly and give that sensation that you want to pop something back. (Please note: I'm not a doctor or PT. I've just spent lots of time with them.) Good luck, deviant.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You are not going to get an accurate diagnosis on a message board, and this could be from a stress fracture or worse. Go see your doctor.
          Thanks, mldrabenstott. It is the fibula where it connects with the lateral collateral ligament but the pain is more in the bone instead of the ligament. I've just been taking a break from running and hope it heals itself since I'm working full time right now and am unable to see the doctor at the moment. I don't like going to the doctor anyways, especially if I haven't given myself time to rest and let the injury recover itself. If it persists, then I will go to see a doctor.
          "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven or hell." –John Milton "Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You are not going to get an accurate diagnosis on a message board, and this could be from a stress fracture or worse. Go see your doctor.
            by worse, I mean a bone tumor...go see a doc.
              by worse, I mean a bone tumor...go see a doc.
              If I didn't know how I got it then I would be more worried. I would also be more worried if the pain didn't subside. But, there's no reason to jump to conclusions and think it's a bone tumor. If it gets worse or if the pain is recurring then I will go see a doctor. Right now it would be like going to the doctor for having a cough and being diagnosed with a cold and told to rest.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(For what it is worth, I'm a doc and deal with sports injuries...I am mostly worried about a stress fracture over the ligament)
                  (For what it is worth, I'm a doc and deal with sports injuries...I am mostly worried about a stress fracture over the ligament)
                  Seeing a doc is still out of the picture at the moment because my new insurance is supposed to start up Jan. 1 but I haven't even gotten an ID card yet or any other information (it's military insurance so like anything else from the government, it's taking it's time). As soon as I get that stuff I was going to go to the doctor anyways for unrelated things, but I will add that to the list. I know that coming onto these boards isn't the ideal place to get advice regarding any injury but, as mentioned, a doctor visit isn't feasible either. So right now I'm just taking it easy and not running. I can't rest completely because my job requires me to stand for eight hours, but it doesn't hurt when I stand/walk.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Seeing a doc is still out of the picture at the moment because my new insurance is supposed to start up Jan. 1 but I haven't even gotten an ID card yet or any other information
                    Got it. Ain't the modern medical "system" grand. Military? Thanks muchos for your service! Happy New Year!!