Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Prince of Fatness

I also row, but was told that's off limits for a while, probably until I am at least able to run.

I have a rower and was wondering about that.  I'll have to ask about it at PT next week. Just from the motion involved I figured that it was something that I could do later rather than sooner.

Not at it at all. 

btb1490

I have a rower and was wondering about that.  I'll have to ask about it at PT next week. Just from the motion involved I figured that it was something that I could do later rather than sooner.

Yeah, even though rowing is low/no impact, apparently it does stress the hip joint a lot, especially when you compress your knees to chest at the start of the pull phase.  If and when I do start again, I'll probably start by just doing a half slide.

Hip Redux

Yeah, even though rowing is low/no impact, apparently it does stress the hip joint a lot, especially when you compress your knees to chest at the start of the pull phase.  If and when I do start again, I'll probably start by just doing a half slide.

Yeah, it's that deep flexion that can be problematic.  Though I did row pre-surgery without issue...

btb1490

Yeah, it's that deep flexion that can be problematic.  Though I did row pre-surgery without issue...

Same here, so it seems ironic that rowing may in fact have been probably a bad thing for the hip.

Hip Redux

Honestly, I am so confused about what's "good" and "bad" for the hip.   Because my pain wasn't really that bad pre-op and yet, I had more damage than we thought, so I don't know if I can trust the whole "if it doesn't hurt, it's ok" thing.

KathyL

Oh yes, everything wore off! I had 13 good hours. The first night was a little rough. Getting rid of all the fluid from the IV, it felt like I was having to get up every 20 minutes.  Yesterday was much better and today is even better. It only hurts getting in and out of bed. Crutching around is OK. I am partial weight bearing. It doesn't hurt to put weight on my leg, sometimes I find myself putting almost full weight on it without thinking. Hope I don't screw anything up. I'm not sure how many anchors I got. From the looks of the pretty pictures I came home with, I'm guessing 3. I am only on my second full day at home and am already going stir crazySad

btb1490

Oh yes, everything wore off! I had 13 good hours. The first night was a little rough. Getting rid of all the fluid from the IV, it felt like I was having to get up every 20 minutes.  Yesterday was much better and today is even better. It only hurts getting in and out of bed. Crutching around is OK. I am partial weight bearing. It doesn't hurt to put weight on my leg, sometimes I find myself putting almost full weight on it without thinking. Hope I don't screw anything up. I'm not sure how many anchors I got. From the looks of the pretty pictures I came home with, I'm guessing 3. I am only on my second full day at home and am already going stir crazySad

Yeah, you gotta be careful about forgetting to not weight bear, although I don't thing a stray step here and there will be too much.  From what I've read, just don't weight bear and twist at the same time on that leg.  Get going on those isometric glute, ab and quad contractions!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yeah, you gotta be careful about forgetting to not weight bear, although I don't thing a stray step here and there will be too much.  From what I've read, just don't weight bear and twist at the same time on that leg.  Get going on those isometric glute, ab and quad contractions!

Oh yeah, twisting was the worst!  I did that accidentally in week two.  Wow, did that hurt!

Kathy, once your energy comes back, you could start going crutch-walking.  Trust me, it's really hard work!  But you get out of the house.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Yeah, any sort of rotation was like an immediate feedback of "don't do that, dummy". lol

I could weight bear on day one, but with crutches.  I don't think you'll do anything if you step here or there.   The bigger issues are rotation with weight bearing and deep flexion/bending, IMO.

Today is 7 weeks!

dallison

registered pw

The water treadmill this morning was excellent! I had spent 85 minutes on it and i was pretty well beat afterwards.

It took a  bit to get adjusted and once i did,  it went smoothly.

They are highly recommended.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

btb1490

The water treadmill this morning was excellent! I had spent 85 minutes on it and i was pretty well beat afterwards.

It took a  bit to get adjusted and once i did,  it went smoothly.

They are highly recommended.

That's a long time, no wonder you were beat!

btb1490

Today is 7 weeks!

Congrats on making it this far without screwing anything up!  ;-)

Hip Redux

Congrats on making it this far without screwing anything up!  ;-)

lol I am too scared to try anything except what my PT says!

At the race I volunteered at this morning, I met someone who had the same surgery.  It seems like everywhere I go, I run into someone who has had it!    A year ago, I'd never even heard of a hip labrum...

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am officially 16 weeks post-op now.  I have a PT appt this afternoon.  Fingers crossed for some news about being able to run soon!  However, I can definitely tell that I am not at 100% yet.  I totally believe that this takes 6-12 months to fully heal now that I'm in the middle of it all.

Running is dumb.

btb1490

I am officially 16 weeks post-op now.  I have a PT appt this afternoon.  Fingers crossed for some news about being able to run soon!  However, I can definitely tell that I am not at 100% yet.  I totally believe that this takes 6-12 months to fully heal now that I'm in the middle of it all.

I hope you get the green light!