Okay who has the best . . . . (Read 721 times)

Healthy Oatmeal Rasin Cookie recipe?  The staples for running are banannas, bagels, peanut butter, GU and oatmeal rasin cookies.  So I am looking for an easy to make, low fat, great tasting oatmeal rasin cookie recipe.  Of course feel free to share any other great tasting recipe's that you might have as well.  Such as lowfat cheesecake if such a thing exist!

Thanks in advance.  I look forward to trying out someone's recipe!

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
    wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You might want to check out the best cookies thread in the Beginners and Beyond user group

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Arimathea

Tessa

This one was developed by Tootie (women's forum) and makes an excellent running fuel.

power cookies by tootie

Note: I added ½ cup applesauce to the wet batter before I put in the flour mixture, and used Trader Joe’s soy protein powder rather than GNC whey.  You could also use nonfat dry milk as protein powder if you don't feel like buying protein powder. Also I was out of both walnuts and cranberries so I used pecans and raisins instead.  Tessa

1 3/4 C Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
        1 cup protein powder*
        1 teaspoon baking soda
        1 teaspoon baking powder
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces) butter, softened
        1 cup (8 ounces) brown sugar
        1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) white sugar
        2 large eggs
        1/4 cup (2 ounces) milk
        1 tablespoon vanilla
        2 1/2 cups (8 3/4 ounces) oats, lightly toasted and cooled**
        2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips, or the flavored chips of your choice
        1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) chopped walnuts, lightly toasted**
        1 cup (5 1/4 ounces) dried cranberries
        *I use GNC Whey Protein
        **Preheat your oven to 350°F. Toast the oats for about 15 minutes, the walnuts for 10 to 12 minutes, until they smell toasty. Leave your oven on at 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
        In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
        Cream together the butter and the sugars. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Combine the milk and vanilla, and add to the butter mixture. It’ll look curdled; that’s OK.
        Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in two or three additions, stirring to combine. Stir in the oats. Mix in the chocolate chips, walnuts and cranberries.
        Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, drop balls of dough (slightly smaller than a ping pong ball) onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about an inch between them. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes; remove them from the oven when they?ve started to brown around the edges.
        Let the cookies cool for a few minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Yield: about 5 1/2 dozen cookies.
        Note: Feel free to make these cookies larger, if you like; the recipe above yields cookies that are about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

Hip Redux

My goodness that's a lot of sugar and butter.  lol   Here's my oatmeal bar recipe that I use when I ride my bike: http://bicycling.com/blogs/ramblingman/2012/02/16/fast-food-and-eating-on-long-rides

but I've made a bunch of changes -

Swapped out cashew butter for the peanut butter,

skip the cereal,

only ~1/2 cup of honey

add ~1/2 cup of coconut oil or coconut cream (melt with the honey)

added dried, unsweetened cherries and sliced almonds.

The longer you let the honey cook, the harder the bar will be - so don't let it boil for long, otherwise you'll have made hard candy. lol

It's not really a recipe that you can screw up- - I just toss things in and go by looks/taste testing.  Smile

Oski, that energy bar recipe looks great. I'm definitely going to try it!

oriwoi

oriwoi

--

Such as lowfat cheesecake if such a thing exist!

most cheesecake recipes could be made much healthier by replacing the cream cheese component with 1/3 ricotta & 2/3 virtually fat-free Quark (this Quark, not an elementary particle that's a fundamental constituent of matter). such a change could take the recipe further along the path towards low-fat enlightenment Wink

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Here is one of my favorites:

3       medium ripe bananas - mashed

2       cups rolled oats

1/2   cup raisins - or - choc chips - or - dried fruit

1/3   cup unsweetened applesauce

1       tsp vanilla

1       tsp cinnamon (optional)

Mix all. Let sit 15 minutes (this is important).

Bake 350 for 20 minutes or until slightly brown.

If you make 24 and use choc. chips, they have 64 calories each. I've only used choc chips, so I don't know how they would be with raisins (which I don't like anyway).

(note: cookies will hold their shape when baking, so flatten them a bit before baking) 

Hip Redux

Oooh, that looks good!