Inspiational Running Phrases (Read 10634 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Run like hell and get the agony over with. Big grin
      For when I have a really big hill I just repeat "Think like a chasqui." It hasn't failed me yet.
      2008 Goals
    • Run 1250 miles
    • Get down to 135!
    • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
    • Mr R

Nothing gets my heart racing like this one: "Runners take your mark." I'm also a fan of "sweats off" and of course, the bell.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Beatin' on the Rock

This one is long but I love it! More applicable to most of us. Dr. Sheehan"for every runner who races to win there are thousands for whom running is not a test but a therapy, not a trial but a reward, not a question but an answer".
          Nice!
          Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.

Sandi Sue

These are all very nice inspirational sayings but nothing really does it for me but, "HTFU." Wink

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

When the going gets tough, sprinters quit.
              HAHA
              2009: BQ?
                "You can never run a hill too hard, you will collapse before hurting it." "Find the level of intolerance you can tolerate and stay there." - David Horton "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing." "If you can see the light coming out of the other ear, you're an Ultra runner. - Unknown "My doctor told me that jogging could add years to my life. I think he was right. I feel ten years older already." - Milton Berle "These nuts got guts." - Jeff Stegeman, writing for Durango paper 7/10/98 about the Hardrock 100 "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." - G. K. Chesterton "Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun." - friend of Alex Swenson, referring to 100 mile races "Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

You'll ruin your knees!

What is it like when a day of running ends and I come down out of the mountains? Though my thighs are not always able to lift the foot high enough, I am strong. With my limbs caked with mud and my clothes soaked with sweat, I am clean. Though fatigue pulses through every nerve, I am well rested. With my skin torn from brambles and poking Balsam fir, I am whole. I 've been around for 46 years, but the mountains and I are eternal. We will visit together as often as I can manage. And one peaceful day, I will return home forever. - Damon Douglas (via Dick Vincent, RD Escarpment Trail Run)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Me and my gang in Breck

I AM A RUNNER because my runs have names. I do tempo runs and threshold runs and fartlek runs. I do long, slow runs and track workouts. My runs are defined, even if my abs are not. I AM A RUNNER because my shoes are training equipment, not a fashion statement. The best shoe for me is the one that makes me a better runner. I choose the shoe that goes with my running mechanics, not my running outfit. I AM A RUNNER because I don't have running outfits. I have technical shirts and shorts and socks. I have apparel that enhances the experience of running by allowing me to run comfortably. I can say "Coolmax" and "Gore-Tex" in the same sentence and know which does what. I AM A RUNNER because I know what effort feels like, and I embrace it. I know when I'm pushing the limits of my comfort and why I'm doing it. I know that heavy breathing and an accelerated heart rate — things I once avoided — are necessary if I want to be a better runner. I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I've done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won't have to scream in pain later on. I AM A RUNNER because I am willing to lay it all on the line. I know that every finish line has the potential to lift my spirits to new highs or devastate me, yet I line up anyway. I AM A RUNNER because I know that despite my best efforts, I will always want more from myself. I will always want to know my limits so that I can exceed them. I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far. I AM A RUNNER because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not. Waddle on, friends.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

These are all very nice inspirational sayings but nothing really does it for me but, "HTFU." Wink
                      This is true for me, as well. It's simple, but it's at the root of it all, IMO.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I AM A RUNNER because my shoes are training equipment, not a fashion statement. The best shoe for me is the one that makes me a better runner. I choose the shoe that goes with my running mechanics, not my running outfit. I AM A RUNNER because I don't have running outfits.
                        Though sometimes we luck out and find that the shoe that we love best also happens to be funky and fun (just ordered my second pair of NB 902s, even though my first pair are still working well--but probably won't last until I can try the 903 in April)...and then we sometimes find "outfits" that match--or clash so godawfully that we make a "fashion statement" with our garish ensembles (and have HS girls laugh at us). Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

When my body gives out and my head tells me to quit, my heart compels me to struggle on. At some point, however, my head and my heart get in 'cahoots' with each other. They both demand I stop. That is when my Spirit soars and their protestations are of no avail. I am propelled by a Force unseen, drawn to a potential I have yet to realize. I shake off the burden of the physical and wake up to experience my dream. At last I am free. -Dog Gezgo

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

True, but I still really on my HTFU pre-cursor every now and then: "Suck it up, weak-ass!"

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

True, but I still really on my HTFU pre-cursor every now and then: "Suck it up, weak-ass!"
                              I do a customized version of HTFU in my head...I hear that Ronnie Johns/Chopper Read in my head saying "this is Zoomy. It's bitterly cold and snowy out so she wants to stay indoors and fatten up on junk food and hot cocoa. Wahh...it's chilly outside and I don't wanna get cold... Put on your Smartwool socks, Yaktrax, your wicking long undies, a windbreaker and your balaclava, and harden the fuzz (what DS thinks the F stands for), Zoomy!"

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My other big running inspiration phrase comes from one of my high school x-country coaches. My senior year at regionals, I was running the best race of my life (finally managed to not go out way too fast in the first mile), but was starting to get complacent towards the end. I remember turning a corner with 250 yards to go, and my coach was there. He screamed: "JEFF! YOU GOTTA GO NOW!!!" It shocked my into a state of pure HTFU. I kicked it in and over the course of the next 200 yards or so I passed 5 people to move into 7th place, staggering wobbly across the finish line with a dry-heave. 12th place probably would have gotten me through to state finals, but 7th place guaranteed it and got me a place on the All-Region First Team. His voice still echoes in my head at the end of races. A couple of non-running favorites. At Michigan, there was this guy named George Cavendar who was Assistant Marching Band Director from 1952-1969, and Director from 1970-78. He was a bit of a legend in the band community, a man who was loved, admired, and feared by his students. He would come back to conduct us at homecoming, and would bellow about, every bit the grumpy old man. ("Back in my day..."). He said a lot of funny stuff, but two of them really stuck with me. "Mediocrity is the standard of excellence for incompetence!" "I'm paying for 16 ounces, and you're giving me 8! Play the g*d damn horn!" MTA: RIP, George. Go Blue!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.