Any Cyclists? (Read 1403 times)

Slo

I think that when you're fit properly for the bike, you shouldn't feel too much pain anywhere (back, butt, neck, shoulders, ...).   

I can assure you; No matter how well you think your properly fit, doing 300 miles in 3 days...you're likely to experience major discomfort. Day 2 will probably be the worst.

This depends on how often you get off the bike. The more extended training time you can get the less discomfort you will experience. Training, not bike fit will have the greater impact.

Bike fit is really a give and take between maximum power delivery and comfort. A touring bike requires a different position than a typical road bike you would see in a crit. Getting used to either of these positions requires time in the saddle.

My recommendation is to experiment. As long you your bike is properly sized for you then shifting the seat back and forth, up and down is worth messing with. Seat tilt is also something to experiment with. On my racing bike I have a downward tilt because I ride in the drops and I'm in and out of my seat. As far as my Lite Speed, this bike is what I ride ultras on. The saddle has a zero tilt to maybe slightly upward. It keeps my rear end where it's supposed to be and allows me to spin at a high RPM for long extendend climbs. I ride this bike mostly on the hoods.

Personally, I have never had an issue with a seat. Lucky, I don't know. It does allow me to take advantage of some great Ebay deals because of other peoples discomfort.

I recently got the GSC-10 to track my Cadence and whatnot on my bike with my Garmin and was disappointed to see that there are no fields to track that information on RA.

Has anyone asked about this before?

I absolutely love this site, but would like to have that data imported off of my Garmin after my workouts. 

Heck, it would be amazing if it could somehow translate it into wattage too!

Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but I figured I would bring it up to fellow cyclists first...

2012 Goals: 

• Complete River To Sea Race
      • Bike 1000 Miles
      • Run 300 Miles
      • Lose 15 pounds
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I recently got the GSC-10 to track my Cadence and whatnot on my bike with my Garmin and was disappointed to see that there are no fields to track that information on RA.

Has anyone asked about this before?

I absolutely love this site, but would like to have that data imported off of my Garmin after my workouts. 

Heck, it would be amazing if it could somehow translate it into wattage too!

Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but I figured I would bring it up to fellow cyclists first...

Yup, it's been asked a few times (I noticed a recent thread, as a matter of fact), but I suspect it's pretty far down the line of features Eric has on his to-do list, since it's not generally a very "running-specific" data point.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I can assure you; No matter how well you think your properly fit, doing 300 miles in 3 days...you're likely to experience major discomfort. Day 2 will probably be the worst.

This depends on how often you get off the bike. The more extended training time you can get the less discomfort you will experience. Training, not bike fit will have the greater impact.

Bike fit is really a give and take between maximum power delivery and comfort. A touring bike requires a different position than a typical road bike you would see in a crit. Getting used to either of these positions requires time in the saddle.

My recommendation is to experiment. As long you your bike is properly sized for you then shifting the seat back and forth, up and down is worth messing with. Seat tilt is also something to experiment with. On my racing bike I have a downward tilt because I ride in the drops and I'm in and out of my seat. As far as my Lite Speed, this bike is what I ride ultras on. The saddle has a zero tilt to maybe slightly upward. It keeps my rear end where it's supposed to be and allows me to spin at a high RPM for long extendend climbs. I ride this bike mostly on the hoods.

Personally, I have never had an issue with a seat. Lucky, I don't know. It does allow me to take advantage of some great Ebay deals because of other peoples discomfort.

I was responding more to aleyoung's post saying "So, I was having trouble with saddle pain and wound up buying a Selle An-Atomica off ebay. That was great...until I started getting above an hour of riding."

I thought it was somewhat unusual to have saddle pain after riding for 1 hour and think that it may have more to do with the setup or the "seat time" than it does with the actual seat.

I wasn't speaking of the 300 mile deal.  Yes, I can only imagine the discomfort.  I have also been "lucky" as it relates to seat comfort.  As such, I've never searched Ebay for a seat, because I'm fine with whatever I have.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Yup, it's been asked a few times (I noticed a recent thread, as a matter of fact), but I suspect it's pretty far down the line of features Eric has on his to-do list, since it's not generally a very "running-specific" data point.

I was actually looking for this too.  I think I saw some requests for cadence for runners with a foot pod as well.  Maybe between the cyclists, triathletes and runners with a foot pod on here there are enough folks who would love to have cadence added as a field.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Slo

As such, I've never searched Ebay for a seat, because I'm fine with whatever I have.

I've completely built 3 of my bikes and have rebuilt 1 other. I'm always on Ebay searching for parts. I'm only a front crank set short from being able to build a bike right now. Problem is...The parts I have don't go with the type of bike I want.

I knew what you meant earlier, I just wanted to clarify that discomfort after a long ride does not mean improper bike fitting or saddle. Especially if you're just beginning. Even a beginner is going to have trouble getting thru a 20 mile ride comfortably. But don't tell to many people that or I'll lose my Ebay deals.

aleyoung86

Well the good news is that the saddle seems great. I did  1:20:00 ride on it and found it to be very comfortable. I also just got new shoes to go with my new pedals. I haven't yet ridden any meaningful amount with those to really test them out. The guy at the bike shop (yeah, I went there and gave them my money again) said they would be great. I got the Specialized Pro Road shoes for $200 rather than the $285 list price. I think the guy took pity on me in my scrubs (I had just gotten off work). 

2012: Wish a Mile Ride: 300 miles in 3 days to benefit the kids of Make A Wish.