Post Race Recovery (Read 864 times)

Marathonmanleto

Thinking about the Chicago Lakefront 50km 2 weeks after Detroit Free Press Marathon. Have not done an Ultra, so I am concerned. Wondering about best recovery and am considering a post recovery supplement. Has anyone had experience with any ?

You'll ruin your knees!

Post Race Recovery... 1) protein within 2 hours of finish (hmmm....burger) 2) If you like, I have had success with Recoverite. It is a recovery drink from Hammer Nutrition. 3) Ice bath...get 2-3 bags of ice put it/cold water in the tub and sit in it for 15-20 minutes as soon as is feasible after your marathon. It really helps keep the soreness at bay the next day. You don't necessarily have to do all three...I find the ice baths the hardest to do, but the most effective. Good luck with it.. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I've given up on recovery. I just keep on running. But I'm crazy. Big grin T
        JakeKnight

Post Race Recovery... 1) protein within 2 hours of finish (hmmm....burger) 2) If you like, I have had success with Recoverite. It is a recovery drink from Hammer Nutrition. 3) Ice bath...get 2-3 bags of ice put it/cold water in the tub and sit in it for 15-20 minutes as soon as is feasible after your marathon. It really helps keep the soreness at bay the next day. You don't necessarily have to do all three...I find the ice baths the hardest to do, but the most effective. Good luck with it.. Lynn B
          Does that ice thing actually work? When I ran the Huntsville (Rocket City) Marathon, I went with a much more experienced runner. As we were walking out of the hotel, he pointed at the outdoor pool and said "ya know, if you were smart, you'd go wade in that for a while after the race." (An outdoor pool - and it was 21 degrees outside - maybe 40 when we finished). I didn't do it of course - but I've heard that advice often enough to wonder if it works. You ever try it?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I put my legs in that pool in Huntsville last year. That was far colder than any ice bath I have ever ever done. It hurt bad and I couldn't do it for more than about 23 seconds. Lake Superior after Grandma's Marathon was much better.

You'll ruin your knees!

Yep, ice bath works, the cold pool is great, if that's an option, that is what I do when the pool is cold enough, which isn't all that often here. The ice cubes in the bath tub are a lot of effort, so I only do it when I know I am really going to have some muscle damage that I need to avoid. Also, it takes a little...er, uh, tactical thinking to keep certain things out of the ice, if you know what I mean! I never win the tactical battle and usually just...oh, that's just too much information.... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I attest to the ice bath. Any time I go above 20 miles, I would go for a dip in the tube with 2 bags of ice. The first few minutes really suck and I dread the thought of going in. But once my legs get sufficiently numb, it was bliss. The best part is that my legs continue to feel good afterwards. Ice baths are more effective than using a cold pack. A cold pack only cools the area in a superficial manner. It warms up quickly soon after icing. Ice baths can keep your lower half cool long after you get out, which help to keep inflamation down.
                  I don't run marathons, I'm still in highschool, but before and after races ice baths are what you need. They work I swear by them, but I get them in whirlpools so I can get in and focus on what hurts or is sore. They work so well.
                  JakeKnight

Yep, ice bath works, the cold pool is great, if that's an option, that is what I do when the pool is cold enough, which isn't all that often here. The ice cubes in the bath tub are a lot of effort, so I only do it when I know I am really going to have some muscle damage that I need to avoid. Also, it takes a little...er, uh, tactical thinking to keep certain things out of the ice, if you know what I mean! I never win the tactical battle and usually just...oh, that's just too much information.... Lynn B
                    Actually, I could use a little more information. I get how to do this wading into a pool or a (great) lake. How'd you pull if off in a bathtub? (I'd prefer to avoid iced johnson syndrome (IJS)).

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Forgive me for being the only straight forward female in this thread to state teh obvious: I've got to think this ice bath thing does not do much for your post-race sex life?! How many ways can we say, "stack of buttons"?? Big grin Hell, I'm a woman & I can't even imagine jumping in an ice bath...of course we women have the advantage of then cutting our way out...
                      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3

You'll ruin your knees!

"I was sitting in the bathtub counting my toes, when the radiator broke, water all froze. I got stuck in the ice without my clothes, naked as the eyes of a clown. I was crying ice cubes hoping I'd croak, when the sun come through the window, the ice all broke I stood up and laughed thought it was a joke That's the way that the world goes 'round." - John Prine Stacked buttons? All I can say is the ice bath helps eliminate soreness, which is a bigger negative impact...IMHO ...and I thought there were more straight women on this forum than just you, ErynConfused Evil grin And why would you apologize for that anyway???? Confused Black eye... That ought to keep you guys goin' for a while! Cool Wink Big grin Lynn B

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Forgive me for being the only straight forward female in this thread to state teh obvious: I've got to think this ice bath thing does not do much for your post-race sex life?! How many ways can we say, "stack of buttons"?? Big grin Hell, I'm a woman & I can't even imagine jumping in an ice bath...of course we women have the advantage of then cutting our way out...
                          Post-race sex life? If you got the strength to do that, then you didn't leave everything on the course! Shame on you!
                          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Actually, I could use a little more information. I get how to do this wading into a pool or a (great) lake. How'd you pull if off in a bathtub? (I'd prefer to avoid iced johnson syndrome (IJS)).
                            Huh... IJS... Never thought of that. Besides, I had to ice everything below the belly button so ice baths are the only way to go. It's worth risking IJS so my knees and ankles and quads aren't sore the next day.
                            vicentefrijole

I'm a big fan of ice baths.... I've never went waist deep though. I usually fill a large pot with water, put my feet in up to my shins, and add ice slowly. Once I stood up in my kitchen garbage and filled it with the hose and added ice. That worked okay... got up to mid thigh, but it's not easy to get in and out of. Here's a hint for those that are new to the ice bath: It's MUCH less terrible if you can start with room-temp water, get in, and THEN add the ice. You adjust more slowly that way (and numb up along the way) and can stay in a bit longer. As with all icing, I suspect it's best not to stay in longer than 15 minutes (I've never been able to go more than 10 anyways). Then repeat! Big grin Big grin