Race Refunds (Read 125 times)

Julia1971

If you're raced long enough, you've had a race cancelled on you.  So, when it happens, what's your feeling on getting a refund?

Feeling the growl again

You need an option for "depends on the reason it was canceled".

Act of God, money already spent prepping for the race?  Waiver says no refund and the money is gone, I understand.

Organizers took in a bunch of money, were crappy at organizing and bail with the cash (seen it happen), there'd better be refunds.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

Rats!  That would have been a good option.  (I've seen it, too).  No grant money for me.  Sad

I was thinking Act of God when I made the poll.  But, I think there are a couple different voting options that could encompass mismanagement - the form says no refunds or I didn't get what I paid for.

You need an option for "depends on the reason it was canceled".

Act of God, money already spent prepping for the race?  Waiver says no refund and the money is gone, I understand.

Organizers took in a bunch of money, were crappy at organizing and bail with the cash (seen it happen), there'd better be refunds.

I always think they should do partial refunds (except for charity 5ks) though I don't really recall seeing this at any races I've been to. I know they put out money and they should recoup their expenses, but they certainly shouldn't profit for a race that was a no-go. If the race fee is really high and they offer insurance, then I buy that because I know I would be furious if it got cancelled and my money was wasted.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

I put I don't expect a refund. However, the two cases I can think of where the races were cancelled or postponed, they offered refunds, and I told them to keep it as donation for the cause (university ski team, nature center). Actually, the one with the university, I'm surprised they were able to navigate the red tape to give refunds.

I do agree with Spaniel's comment about depending on why the race is cancelled. We just haven't had any like that up here - yet.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The only races I've had cancelled were due to weather so bad I wouldn't have run anyway or wouldn't have risked driving to get to the race. In one case they rescheduled the race 3 months later so technically it was only postponed, not cancelled. If I wouldn't have gone even if the race had been held, I certainly wouldn't expect a refund.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mikeymike

If you're raced long enough, you've had a race cancelled on you.

I have 117 races in my RA log and ran a few before I started logging online, and I've never had one cancelled. So you're saying I'm due?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Rinky dink lil ole race I put on has no profit margin, and all the money is spent or committed by race day.

Then again, you prolly don't have much sense to sign up for my lil rinky dink run it is such a stupid slogfest, so you are not likely to think about a refund should I cancel. I think some of my runners would even pay more for me to promise to cancel.

delicate flower

You register for a race knowing that you might lose that money in the event of a weather induced cancellation.  If you don't like it, stick to races that offer race day registration.

<3

xhristopher

I traveled overnight to a race that was cancelled by the police due to too much snow on the roads. Never for a moment did I expect a refund. I thought it was generous that they let me run next year for free since it was probably a money loosing headache for them.

Julia1971

Really?  Yeah, I'd quit while I was ahead. Smile  I think I'm at 3 cancellations and I'm sure I've run fewer races than you have.

I have 117 races in my RA log and ran a few before I started logging online, and I've never had one cancelled. So you're saying I'm due?