Sub 4:45 Marathon Thread (Read 415 times)

RunsWithDog

Roll eyes Blush

I am feeling left out. All these time-goal threads, and I'm too slow for any of them!

Any other slow pokes have an upcoming marathon you're gunning for sub-4:45 in?

I do!!

My PR is 5:02:57 on a flat course in Philly last month. I am gunning for 4:45 on a hilly course in March. Roll eyes

My upcoming marathon is March 24, 2013 in Reston, VA.

Anyone else?

PRs: 10k 57:30, HM 2:11:12, Full 5:02:57

Next Up: HM 1/6/13 & Marathon #3 3/24/13

Training Plan Right Now: Hansons Brothers Beginner Marathon Plan

Purple Toes

Sure, why not. I'm in!  I mean, sub 4:45 was my goal this year but I didn't quite make it--came in around 4:56. I may be looking at a spring marathon and if so, I really would like to go sub 4:45. Depending how training goes I'd like to think I could go sub 4:30, but at this point, 4:45 seems a more reasonable goal.

asdfsdaaas

do
        countrycruiser

I'm in !  

I am shooting for 4:45 in my spring marathon just haven't decided on which one yet.

The Illinois Marathon is a local race for me so I will be pacing the 10:30 group this year for our training group. Just cant decide if I want to do the half at Illinois and do my full a week later someone where else. Just doesn't seem right  without sleeping in an unfamiliar bed and drinking a bad cup of hotel coffee before the race.

Training will start for me on January 2nd. perfect timing to get myself back on track from all the holiday cheer Smile

StephanieZ - March should be beautiful in VA !  What plan are you using?

sdfgewiuohsdf

spam

I'll be trying for a 4:30 in the Shamrock in Virginia Beach on March 17th.  After coming back from several injuries my times went over 5:00, so this will be my first attempt to get back to some kind of reasonableness.  My PR is only 4:22:12.

Roll eyes Blush

I am feeling left out. All these time-goal threads, and I'm too slow for any of them!

Any other slow pokes have an upcoming marathon you're gunning for sub-4:45 in?

I do!!

My PR is 5:02:57 on a flat course in Philly last month. I am gunning for 4:45 on a hilly course in March. Roll eyes

My upcoming marathon is March 24, 2013 in Reston, VA.

Anyone else?

I am doing Houston in less than a month - I am shooting for 5. Will probably be closer to 5:15.

I will be proud when I finish. It will be my first.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

RunsWithDog

I'm in !  

I am shooting for 4:45 in my spring marathon just haven't decided on which one yet.

The Illinois Marathon is a local race for me so I will be pacing the 10:30 group this year for our training group. Just cant decide if I want to do the half at Illinois and do my full a week later someone where else. Just doesn't seem right  without sleeping in an unfamiliar bed and drinking a bad cup of hotel coffee before the race.

Training will start for me on January 2nd. perfect timing to get myself back on track from all the holiday cheer Smile

Yes, March should be great in VA. Reston is my hometown, and this is the inaugural marathon there which is why I couldn't resist doing it (even though it is just 18 weeks after my #2 - 5:02:57 - which was only 6 months after #1 - 5:21:##). My first marathon was hot (80 degrees, humid, in Pittsburgh in May. Dreadful.) and I've since sworn off running any marathon that has any chance of being hot, so March was perfect. The course is rolling hills, which will be a new marathon experience for me (although I actually love running the hills there. They are mild relative to where I live in WV, and hills are so fun!)

I am using the Hansons Beginner Plan out of the new book. I am pretty excited about it. Week 5 this week, so next week is the first structured week in the plan. (First 5 weeks are base building, and I was beyond that level, so I've sort of been testing out the Hansons workouts.)

My first marathon, I used Hal Higdon's Marathon 3, which I don't believe was adequate for me. Second time, I used HH Intermediate 1, which seemed really solid and prepared me to run a strong, if slow, marathon. No death march or wall like the first time! Also, no injuries!! Running long on tired legs seemed a key thing.

I might have done HH Int 1 (or 2) again, but I wanted to try something with a bit of emphasis on speed. My 10k PR (57:30) and HM PR (2:11:##) indicate a capacity to run marathons faster than I have yet managed, so I wanted to do something that might help me speed up a bit for the marathon itself.

I'd looked at Pfitz, but man alive, all those different paces and workouts made my head spin a little. Hansons is a lot simpler to me -- just really a couple paces to focus on -- 5k for speed intervals, marathon (and marathon - 10) for tempo runs (and the longer strength interval workouts), and then marathon +50ish for long runs. So, really, pretty simple, which I needed. Anyway, I like a lot of things about it, and I am eager to see how it works for me. 

What plan(s) are the rest of you using this time? What have you used in the past, and why did you choose your current plan?

When and where are your races?

RunsWithDog

I am doing Houston in less than a month - I am shooting for 5. Will probably be closer to 5:15.

I will be proud when I finish. It will be my first.

As you should be proud, IMHO!

My first was 5:21:##, and I was DANG proud of that! I wasn't happy with the race simply because I'd pooped out when I hit the wall in the late miles and ended up walking a lot. That frustrated me. I didn't feel like I did what I set out to do (RUN 26.2 miles). If I'd run steady and planned for 5:21, I'd have been happy as can be. It's not the precise time that motivates me so much as knowing I've run a good race FOR ME at that moment.

Anyhow, moving your body, via your feet, 26.2 miles is an amazing thing IMHO.

You're almost into your taper. Just a few more runs till Taper Time!

countrycruiser

Jury is still out on what plan I am going to use. I will probably end up using HH Intermediate 1.

My PR is 4:52:28 which  I used the slacker version of Pfitz meaning I put in all the miles but none of the speed work. But with training in the mid west winter I never know if how many miles will be on the treadmill and HH has shorter miles during the week so he will probably win this training session.

After this holiday eating fest I seem to be on it will take me the first month of training to get this cookie weight off Sad 

I ran a Santa Hustle half marathon this past Saturday - AKA fed the cookie demon, they had cookie and candy stations along the course. It was a fun event since I got to run with my DH & DS usually at race all I see of them is at the start, and  then their backsides as they take off Smile

It appears winter is arriving today beginning with a thunderstorm this morning so doing a few miles on the treadmill.

Run Strong!!

I'm in!  I will be running my first on April 28th.  My goal is under 5:00.  I ran my first 1/2 last April in 2:24 so I'm hoping with more base miles and more training, I can sustain that pace for 26.2!  Scared to death but giving it my best shot.  On week 3 of a 16 week plan.

Dream Maker

The Illinois Marathoin is a great race though, and a great fast course.

I'm in !  

YAYpril - B-Plus

I'll bite! I'm registered for my first marathon which will be on September 8, and as of right now I'm hoping for 4:40-4:45. I'm waffling with the idea of using Pfitz 18/55.