a runner with a drinking problem (Read 578 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I get so thirsty after medium to long runs, these days, that I'll drink glass after glass of cold liquid (water, juice, tea, whatever), if I let myself. But then my stomach hurts, if I don't restrain myself.

I've run through summers in my area before, and I don't recall dealing with this in the spring--but I might just not be remembering it.

I'm not sure if this is part of acclimating to the summer, or what.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

keeponrunning

My first thought is are you drinking enough during the day?  I noticed when it first warmed up that I was doing that, and then I realized I was starting off dehydrated.  I have 10miles planned tonight in 30+C temps (depending on how late I go out) so I'm drinking lots today.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

zonykel

I don't drink really cold water. If I do, my stomach hurts. Try drinking water (or whatever beverage you prefer) at room temperature.

Not really sure what could be causing greater thirst than before. Perhaps you're starting your runs in an already dehydrated state?

Are you drinking during your run? or are you letting yourself get behind on hydration?

I don't usually drink much in winter, but we went from late-May snow to early June heat (excessive heat) in less than a week. I was drinking a lot more in those initial days than I was before or after.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Is thirst your only symptom? What about fatigue, and passing a lot of urine? Those 3 together are symptoms of diabetes. I don't want to set hares running (I myself have type 1 diabetes), but it might be worth checking out?...

Ciaran

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

xhristopher

Have you found yourself getting older lately? If so, it could just be your memory.

Sunday morning I drank 4 glasses of ice tea after my run. If it would have been later than 9 am that could have been 4 beers and I'd probably not remember either.

A Saucy Wench

Have you tried brushing your teeth? I know weird, but sometimes when I get a little dehydrated/pasty mouth water will not get rid of the feeling.  Juice does better, but not much.  But a good tooth and tongue brushing and rinse and then sipping a little more water seems to get the saliva glands restarted.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks for all the suggestions; I'll experiment. I appreciate the input. Also I thought of a better title than "too thirsty after running"...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Thanks for all the suggestions; I'll experiment. I appreciate the input. Also I thought of a better title than "too thirsty after running"...

Ya, I like that.  It caught my attention.  Yesterday's title didn't Smile

Cheers!

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Better a "Runner with a Drinking problem" than a "Drinker with a Running problem".    That's all I can say.   Smile

I too can drink about 6 or 7 glasses of sweet tea as soon as I return from a 10'ish mile run in the summer.   Personally I can't wait for the fall and cooler temps.    It takes alot more effort for me to run in the hotter temps and higher humidity.  As if my body is using half its' energy up just trying to stay cool.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

I thought this was going to be a Pre thread.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

CT JEFF

Can you remember your milage from last summer? Have you significantly increased speed / milage since then?

This is my first outdoor running summer. Last year, I would stay inside on the TM, so Im still acclimating to what I need. Yesterday I did a 6.5 mile run and used 20 oz. Today 5.5 mile run and only drank 1 sip. Yesterday (feels like) 101 with humidity - today 65-70. But I was covered in sweat when I came home today. Just wasnt as thirsty.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There comes a day each year in early summer when it's like a switch is flipped in my body, and I suddenly go from drinking 4 ounces of water after a run to drinking 4 glasses of water.  You'd think there would be a gradual adaptation, but that doesn't seem to be the case with me.

DoppleBock

Usually that happens to me when I also have a low salt problem.

I get so thirsty after medium to long runs, these days, that I'll drink glass after glass of cold liquid (water, juice, tea, whatever), if I let myself. But then my stomach hurts, if I don't restrain myself.

I've run through summers in my area before, and I don't recall dealing with this in the spring--but I might just not be remembering it.

I'm not sure if this is part of acclimating to the summer, or what.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

carlos49er

Usually that happens to me when I also have a low salt problem.

Same here.  My first marathon I was drinking a lot of water and couldn't quench my thirst aftert 15 miles. First aid station around mile 18 gave me salt pack and I was good to go.  After a long run I drink some V8. During your long runs try just drinking electrolytes, see how you feel afterwards.