Kettle Bells? (Read 1380 times)

Has anyone tried Kettle Bells?

If so how do you like it?

Thanks

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Has anyone tried Kettle Bells?

If so how do you like it?

Thanks

I've used to do kettlebells a lot and really like them (I was briefly on a crossfit kick).  If done properly, they can help build great core power while also extending your flexibility.  One downfall is that they are a bit expensive ... you'd only likely need 2 or 3 kettlebells for a decent full body workout (i.e. .5, 1.0, and 1.5 pood kettlebell if you're a guy - a pood is equal to 16kg if I remember right), but a set like this can cost $150-250.

Yikes! I was hoping it would be cheaper than that.
          PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
            You don't really need three to get in a pretty good workout.  Your profile isn't enable so I can't speculate on what you might get, but I will tell you that I got my 15# kettlebell at Target for about $30 and it came with a video.  Before I started really building mileage I was doing kettlebells 2 or 3 times a week and considering getting a heavier one for swings.

If you live in a big city, there may even be a kettlebell gym near you where you could try it out before you spend the big bucks.

C-R

I do them three days a week and it is a great workout if done correctly. You can buy used ones at a play-it-again sports. I got my 35 there for about $30. I only have one and see no real reason to have more.

Good luck but be careful. Proper form is important using these.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xor

Yes, the reason why kettlebells are at places like playitagainsports is because they are (one of) the latest Big Thing.  And will soon be the most recent but not current big thing.  You can great nice bosu balls there and good steps for step aerobics too.

All of these things are pretty cool, none are necessary, some are better than others.

With proper form (as with any free-movement exercise), kettlebell exercises work very well.  Like with dumbbells and medicine balls, they are nice because they are "locally portable", meaning you can move them around the house, store them in a closet, take them to the park, etc.  This is goodness.

Just be aware that many folks are doing them specifically because... other folks are doing them.  Kinda like why I needed Capn Crunch when I was a kid.  The commercial told me so.

(I'm still trying to decide about ye olde crossfit.  It has a similar MO and is the current big thing... but it is really REALLY big.  Crossfit competitions!  Nationals!  Holy crap!)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can great nice bosu balls there and good steps for step aerobics too.

Dude, don't knock the step...I have never done step aerobics, but the step is great to use as a weight bench...and adding extra risers can turn it into a high step for some serious leg work and tricep dips.  One can also purchase slanted risers, turning it into a slant board for killer ab workouts.  I have minimal space to workout, so the step is perfect, since I can stack all of the risers, then lean the step in a corner when not in use.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If I had to choose one bell to start what weight would be appropraite? Little backround. I am a 130 lb male, experienced weight lifter. The stuff I have been doing for the past 5 years is mostly body weight and dumbell stuff. One leg squats off a bench, one leg deads, pull up's, push ups  etc... I train and run marathons but have always kept weights a pretty big part of my regime.

I'm getting board with regular strength training and just not benefiting from it anymore. For instance I can do one leg squats with 2- 20 b dumbells till I fall asleep. I can do 100 pushups and it feels like an aerobic workout, I  can do any "core" exercise you can imagine. Nothing seems to challenge me like it used to.  I don't want to lift heavy weights, like go to the gym or anything. I want to incorporate some of the power based movements with kettle bells. I think i can benefit from stuff like cleans and such. I also like the full range of motion in the lifts.

So I was hoping to get one weight to start with and sorta buy more as I go. Also, I will need a DVD to get me started to learn the lifts and routines. This is another ball of confusion. Which DVD's are good? They have one's for cardio(with marathon training I don't need cardio or 'fat' burning), they have one's for power lifts, one's for core etc...

Thanks for all your replies

xor

Dude, don't knock the step...I have never done step aerobics, but the step is great to use as a weight bench...and adding extra risers can turn it into a high step for some serious leg work and tricep dips.  One can also purchase slanted risers, turning it into a slant board for killer ab workouts.  I have minimal space to workout, so the step is perfect, since I can stack all of the risers, then lean the step in a corner when not in use.

I didn't knock it.

I included it in the set of formerly Big Thing things, that's all.  I do a ton of stuff with steps, though not set to music and w/o grapevining.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I included it in the set of formerly Big Thing things, that's all.  I do a ton of stuff with steps, though not set to music and w/o grapevining.

Yes, no grapevining here.  I would likely hurt myself if I tried.

Hey, my brother has a Total Gym that he uses as a closet extension.  He tried to sell it to me a few years back and I was like...seriously...do I look that gullible?! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I didn't knock it.

I think you are knocking grapevining now though...and I really like it...so cut it out!  Now where did I put my unitard and slouch socks?

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you are knocking grapevining now though...and I really like it...so cut it out!  Now where did I put my unitard and slouch socks?

And your twisted terrycloth headband with matching wrist bands

~ Sarah Kay

xor

And your twisted terrycloth headband with matching wrist bands

I know where that is.  LeBron has it.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I know where that is.  LeBron has it.

What about my unitard?

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!