Flexible Muscle-Based Locomotion for Bipedal Creatures (Read 96 times)

MrH

It's been too long since we've had a scientific discussion of running mechanics, ostriches, kangaroos etc.

Check out the video. It includes a range of bipedal creatures. Short, tall, fat. Drunk ones too.

http://vimeo.com/79098420

Running 101 indeed.

Abstract

We present a muscle-based control method for simulated bipeds in which both the muscle routing and control parameters are optimized. This yields a generic locomotion control method that supports a variety of bipedal creatures. All actuation forces are the result of 3D simulated muscles, and a model of neural delay is included for all feedback paths. As a result, our controllers generate torque patterns that incorporate biomechanical constraints. The synthesized controllers find different gaits based on target speed, can cope with uneven terrain and external perturbations, and can steer to target directions.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

It's been too long since we've had a scientific discussion of running mechanics, ostriches, kangaroos etc.

Voldemort

Get off my porch

bhearn

Very cool. I know one of those guys. I did some work like this long ago, but in 2d physics, where the control problem is significantly simpler.

Too bad they don't seem to be able to learn to swing their arms. I had the impression that all of the muscle control was learned, but I guess legs are special somehow.

What, no sasquatch?