Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14 (Read 104 times)

F*in Noob

I have been running for the last 2 years in Adrenaline GTS 12's. My current pair has about 700 miles on them so I figured that it was time to replace them so I purchased a pair of Adrenaline GTS 114's at my LRS. I have worn them around the house and walked 3 miles in them but they are still causing me more pain than I have ever experienced with a new running shoe.

Has anyone else had any problems with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14's? Have they changed something between the 12's and 14's?

I have owned 12's, 13's & 14's, put ~500 miles on each, and not really noticed any differences.

Maybe they are not meant for walking - just go run.

I did see a post from someone who found they had to go up 1/2 size in the newer version.

Dave

flauta

I just switched to the Adrenaline GTS 14s from the Brooks Transcends (and Trances before them).  So my first Adrenalines, but I like them alot.  They are a 1/2 size larger, but I found a good running store, who advised that whatever I buy that I should go up a half size from my Transcends.

Menace to Sobriety

I've been in the Adrenaline series since the 4s or 5s I think. There are always differences between model years, but most have been subtle. I've never had one cause me any pain. Currently in my 2nd or 3rd pair of 14s. They seemed a little stiffer than the 13s, but after a few miles, I never noticed.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

F*in Noob

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I usually wear a 10 1/2 but on my LRS advice my running shoes have always been 11. This time my LRS told me to get the 10 1/2's. Maybe I will take them back and get an 11.

I went through 38 pairs of Adrenalines from 2005-2013 and aside from the switch to DNA from the HydroFlow of the past (great update, in my humble opinion), the change from the GTS 13 to the GTS 14 was probably the biggest change I have ever seen in their flagship stability shoe.

On the outsole of the shoe, they replaced the midfoot torsional resistance shank that previously covered the entire width of the shoe with a much smaller shank that extends only about a quarter of the shoe's width.  They filled in the rest on the lateral side of the outsole with full-length ground contact in order to provide a smoother transition.  They retained the PDRB (Progressive Diagonal Roll Bar), the gray, tri-density foam on the medial side of the shoe directly underneath the arch, in order to keep the shoe pretty stable.

Stepping into the shoe, it feels almost the same as the others before it.  Brooks has been remarkably consistent in that respect with the Adrenaline.  The toe box is roomy and the shoe has a soft, but responsive feel.  It no longer has enough stability for me with the removal of the midfoot shank I mentioned before, so I had to switch to another option (I am currently rotating between the Mizuno Inspire 9 and 10, the ASICS 2000 2, and the Brooks Defyance 6 and 7, oddly enough...it still has that midfoot shank, so the torsional rigidity is enough to keep me neutral).

I have noticed that most people that have been in the GTS series have been just fine with the transition, but for people like me that tend to rely on a shoe that has that torsional resistance, we have had to go elsewhere for a day-to-day trainer.  The GTS 14 is still killing it, but like with a lot of updates that every company has, sometimes certain parts of the customer base does not always like every change.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I like the reviews on the GTS. I was getting ready to check on buying it. Rechecked equipment/ shoes. The 2 pair of 11/12 only last for 311 miles max before being retired. Same issue with the Mizuno Wave Rider. Great shoe putti has 250 miles . It will not last another 100 miles.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

very loyal Brooks fan here. wearing them since the 1970"s & never have had any real issues with them.  I have noticed that the last 2 or 3 generations Brooks has increased the strength of the medial post area of the arch almost to the point of becoming a motion control shoe & not just a stability shoe. I'm noticed that the wear of the heel on the Adreneline has shifted more to the outside now & not on inside. As a result I was going to try out the Ravenna. I always purchase 2 at a time  & was going to purchase the Ravenna (lighter, lower offset, abit less stability) & Adreneline last time but the Ravenna was just abit narrow. Newest version of the Ravenna has abit more room than previous versions so planning on one of each probably this next week.  Since I rotate several shoes at a time I get 600+ miles on the Adrenelines & could get more than that if wanted.  However since I have a great discounted source I replace at around the 600 mark.

I also wear other models of Brooks shoes &  I have never been disappointed in Brooks.

Over last 2 years I have shifted from heel strike to more of a mid strike so have been wondering if that is what has caused the shift of the wear?   maybe I don't really need that extra stability now.   Very interested in hearing thoughts/opinions from others about this.  Do the majority of non heel strikers find that they need less stabilty with their running shoes??  kinda makes sense.

oops double post

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

who runs in New Balance M1340? Thinking of buying a pair.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/