Kettlebell training and running (Read 8936 times)

I'm curious if anyone else here does kettlebell training along with their running. I'm a new runner and want to add kb but I am worried about how it will affect my running or put me in danger of injuries. cheers!
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
      I do kettlebells and run, but I don't think I can predict how it will affect your running without knowing a lot more specifics. There are a number of different approaches to kettlebells, depending on whether you are working with someone who does actual kettlebell sport competition or not. Kettlebell training can be extremely demanding, and can exhaust all your muscles so that running will be hard the next day or two. But it is also a very good way to develop strength and conditioning, which in the long run will help your running a lot. I would introduce kettlebells gradually (starting only once a week) and only if you have an experienced trainer to guide you to prevent injuries (proper form is very important). You may be very sore one or two days after your first few workouts.
        I've been kettlebell training for about 8 months, but only running for 1 month, so I'm the opposite from you. A lot of kettlebell training is very intensive on the lower body muscles, so I have backed off a bit on it since I started running. But I often do about 15 min of upper body kettlebell exercises - like cleans & presses or triple crush - after I run. I don't know enough about either to say whether kettlebells could affect running or vice versa, but I don't really see how it would. The one sure thing I can say is that kettlebells have been very good to my joints because it's zero impact. I've seen great strength gains from kettlebells, so although right now I'm a little obsessive with running every day, I will definitely make a bigger return to kettlebells soon. Oh and regarding your first few kb workouts - I could barely walk for a couple of days after my first workout, but once I started doing kb work consistently I never had that problem again. Some of the foundation kb exercises - like swings - use some muscles that I just wasn't using much before that. The other thing to consider is that you don't have to do a long kb session to get the benefits. 15 or 20 minutes of 1 or 2 exercises can do a surprising amount of your strength.

I work with kettle bells and haven't had any problems with injuries. its a great strength and conditioning tool. Start out with simple swings and snatches. Check out these links...

some info

video

Mastering others requires force. Mastering the self requires strength....
            I've been kettlebell training for about 8 months, but only running for 1 month, so I'm the opposite from you. A lot of kettlebell training is very intensive on the lower body muscles, so I have backed off a bit on it since I started running. But I often do about 15 min of upper body kettlebell exercises - like cleans & presses or triple crush - after I run. I don't know enough about either to say whether kettlebells could affect running or vice versa, but I don't really see how it would. The one sure thing I can say is that kettlebells have been very good to my joints because it's zero impact.I've seen great strength gains from kettlebells, so although right now I'm a little obsessive with running every day, I will definitely make a bigger return to kettlebells soon.Oh and regarding your first few kb workouts - I could barely walk for a couple of days after my first workout, but once I started doing kb work consistently I never had that problem again. Some of the foundation kb exercises - like swings - use some muscles that I just wasn't using much before that. The other thing to consider is that you don't have to do a long kb session to get the benefits. 15 or 20 minutes of 1 or 2 exercises can do a surprising amount of your strength.

Serious question... Can I ask what's so magical about kettle bells compared to say normal dumbells, or say a log, a few bricks taped together, or a can of paint?  Or is it that it's a new "tool" that keeps you motivated? 

I look my best blurry!

Serious question... Can I ask what's so magical about kettle bells compared to say normal dumbells, or say a log, a few bricks taped together, or a can of paint?  Or is it that it's a new "tool" that keeps you motivated? 

I've been wondering the same thing.  Saw them on the "biggest Loser"  and thought they looked cool.  What is the big deal?  Can't you just swing hand weights?  

C-R

I also do kettlebell workouts and have found no issues with my running. I did twinge a neck muscle while doing Turkish Get Ups but it did not impact my running. I've been more aware of my form since then and no issues.

Boiler - to answer your question you can do the workouts with dumbells (I've done these when in a pinch) but handling of a dumbell and a kettlebell is different especailly when you get to some of the movements. Its just easier to manage. Also the kettlebell is more of a point load as opposed to a balanced load you get with a dumbell. To get this idea, do a single arm press while holding the end of a dumbell vs. the center grip. Less balance and you have to compensate. Just my thoughts.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I also do kettlebell workouts and have found no issues with my running. I did twinge a neck muscle while doing Turkish Get Ups but it did not impact my running. I've been more aware of my form since then and no issues.

Boiler - to answer your question you can do the workouts with dumbells (I've done these when in a pinch) but handling of a dumbell and a kettlebell is different especailly when you get to some of the movements. Its just easier to manage. Also the kettlebell is more of a point load as opposed to a balanced load you get with a dumbell. To get this idea, do a single arm press while holding the end of a dumbell vs. the center grip. Less balance and you have to compensate. Just my thoughts.

thanks! I can see how it could offer some advantages. 

kettlebells are far from new. ppl are just starting to find out about their benefits. macebells are awesome too

Mastering others requires force. Mastering the self requires strength....
                    xor

kettlebells are far from new. ppl are just starting to find out about their benefits. macebells are awesome too

No kidding.

You resurrected a thread that is over a year old.

Kettlebells are alright, but they were the 2008 version of BOSU balls or step aerobics.  They are useful, but they aren't magic.  Just another thing to put in the closet.

They are useful, but they aren't magic. 

But they do give you an excuse to say "pood" a lot.

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

If you could avoid serious injury, a whole bunch of bricks taped together could actually be a pretty good workout.  If you get bored, you could just tape them together differently.

New? They aren't new at all, Kettlebells are older than dumbells and cans of paint. They are over a century old, the russian military used them in the 1800's.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

i sacrificed the gift

I do kettlebells and run, but I don't think I can predict how it will affect your running without knowing a lot more specifics. There are a number of different approaches to kettlebells, depending on whether you are working with someone who does actual kettlebell sport competition or not. Kettlebell training can be extremely demanding, and can exhaust all your muscles so that running will be hard the next day or two. But it is also a very good way to develop strength and conditioning, which in the long run will help your running a lot. I would introduce kettlebells gradually (starting only once a week) and only if you have an experienced trainer to guide you to prevent injuries (proper form is very important). You may be very sore one or two days after your first few workouts.

I just did my first kettlebell workout yesterday, a grand total of 15 minutes in length.  10 minutes of swings and 5 minutes of turkish get ups.  And I am in the worst pain of my LIFE today.  Yesterday, I thought I had done something wrong on the swings and slipped a disc in my lower back or something.  But today, it's much worse and all over my body.  Worst DOMS that I've ever had.  Worse than marathon soreness.

I'm generally not very big on cross training for improving running performance, but I could see this being awesome for running, especially middle distance, once you get used to it.  The kettlebell swings will work the posterior chain very well, and the cardio effect is pretty amazing.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                              Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                              Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

I just did my first kettlebell workout yesterday, a grand total of 15 minutes in length.  10 minutes of swings and 5 minutes of turkish get ups.  And I am in the worst pain of my LIFE today.  Yesterday, I thought I had done something wrong on the swings and slipped a disc in my lower back or something.  But today, it's much worse and all over my body.  Worst DOMS that I've ever had.  Worse than marathon soreness.

Sounds about right, kettlebell training when done correctly can be a very painful (in a good way). I would just make sure your near a mirror or have someone watching you do the swings so your form is correct especially on the last couple reps of each set when your struggling.