"7 Workout Habits You Should Drop Now" - CNN.com article (Read 529 times)

Feeling the growl again

"When you do the same workout routine over and over, your body gets used to it and it becomes easier."

And here I kinda thought that was the point.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Latent Runner

I don't know, seems like okay advice to me. Imagine a runner who runs the same 3 miles at the same pace every day. Chances are, after a while, that runner is spending hours a week running, and probably not improving much, or at all.

Yeah, I've known a few runners who get into that kind of a rut, but when I say "a few", I mean few enough to count on the fingers of one hand.  Most runners I know, regardless of whether they train alone or with a group, are constantly trying to faster and/or further.

Edit:  I need to moderate something I wrote above.  I do know a number of runners who are very happy with their level of conditioning, fitness, and weight.  My wife is a prime example; she used to compete on the international level and has no desire to run even so much as one more race in her life, however, her 6-miles per day, 6-days per week schedule suites her perfectly well.  For folks like her I wouldn't so much characterize them as being in a "rut", more like in "maintenance mode".  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Latent Runner

And here I kinda thought that was the point.

Agreed.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Is it true that more muscles burn more calories? If two persons have the same height and the same weight but different muscle mass. Would a person with more muscles need more calories to keep weight balance?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Latent Runner

Would a person with more muscles need more calories to keep weight balance?

As I understand it, yes.

Fat old man PRs:

For health purpose (not competitiveness) , I think the same workout routine is better than changing workout regularly, which often causes injury.  Isn't it Dan Buettner said if you want to live 100+ years old, don't work out, just live a routine life, do chores by hands, such as shoveling snow by hands instead of using a snow blower.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Marylander

Is it true that more muscles burn more calories? If two persons have the same height and the same weight but different muscle mass. Would a person with more muscles need more calories to keep weight balance?

The effect is not significant and it really only matters what your own metabolic rate/calorie use is. I have been ~10% body fat weighing 140 lbs and weighing 185 lbs and can only say that I tend to be a lot hungrier at the higher body weight. It also takes a lot more work to maintain the muscle mass and the new, higher, hunger levels. If you ease up on the muscle maintenance (strength training or other higher intensity activity) it's very easy to end up fat (e.g., I'm currently ~16% body fat @ 180 lbs and working on getting lean again).

I think this article is crap but crap is typical of pop-media fitness articles.

It is a well-known fact that Clubber Lang trained alone. And, he held the world heavyweight title for a time.  To each his own.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Isn't it Dan Buettner said if you want to live 100+ years old, don't work out, just live a routine life, do chores by hands, such as shoveling snow by hands instead of using a snow blower.

I'm out. Who wants to live to 100 anyway?

Dave

First of all it's a generic BS article, secondly there are prolly a hundred excersizes you do without. I personnaly don't do the eliptical, i dig the stair climber and It isn't getting any easier either.  If, and when it does, i'll throw 10-15 extra pounds in my backpack.  I always train alone, sort of, I have the sweet sounds of Dale Bozzio keeping me company.

Prince of Fatness

You know when I work out alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Not at it at all. 

Latent Runner

I'm out. Who wants to live to 100 anyway?

I do; and given that I have centurions on both sides of my family tree, there's a good chance I'll get there too.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Latent Runner

First of all it's a generic BS article, secondly there are prolly a hundred excersizes you do without. I personnaly don't do the eliptical, i dig the stair climber and It isn't getting any easier either.  If, and when it does, i'll throw 10-15 extra pounds in my backpack.  I always train alone, sort of, I have the sweet sounds of Dale Bozzio keeping me company.

BS?  Hmmm, from a guy who claims to be able to run a fourteen minute 5K "down by the river"...

Fat old man PRs:

I wouldn't zackly call the Atlantic Ocean a river, chief.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I do; and given that I have centurions on both sides of my family tree, there's a good chance I'll get there too.  Smile

Smile