2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Docket_Rocket

Started training with me running in the mornings, which never works for me.  It was already 89F and 76DP at 5am, so my lungs suffered through 6 very slow miles.

But the training has begun.Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jyrunsny

Is anyone still looking for a spot? I ran with this great team last year to benefit the National MS Society and I think they have a few spots left. You can go to www.raceMSnyc.org to check it out!

Julia1971

Week 1. Week 1 is in the books!  Things went very well considering my low mileage this spring and the heat/humidity.  I logged 65 miles for the week, which is the most I've run in long time.  I had to cut my long run short today out of exhaustion.  It was the longest I've attempted to run since my marathon back in March so the result is not surprising.  But, all my other workouts went very well.  I was happiest about my tempo run on Monday.  I struggle a lot with tempo runs.  For the longest time, my tempo pace - what I thought was "comfortably hard" - was slower than what most popular running plans said it should be or I would go out fast and fade badly.  I always ended up feeling like I just wasn't doing them right.  This spring, I experimented with one of Hudson's plans.  He breaks up the tempo runs in segments.  This simple fix had me feeling better about them.  I'm not running them faster really, I just feel like they're doing what they're supposed to do.

The week ahead is pretty mundane.  But, I do have my first MP run next Saturday.  Heat adjusted, I'm thinking something like 9:00 pace but we'll see.

More next week...

meaghansketch

Nice, Julia!

I had nearly the whole week off from work so was able to get in a few extra miles.  A pretty sad hill session on Tuesday, treadmill intervals (7x 2:00) on Thursday, and an early, but steamy, long run of 15 to finish off the week yesterday.  I managed to get in 50, which is my highest weekly mileage since February.  Also spent some time ironing out the next few weeks of my schedule.  I'll be taking this week easy since I'm going on vacation this weekend and don't think I'll be able to get much running in (my vacation partners are early risers).  I will try to get my 2 quality workouts in, but I think I'll have to skip my long run.

ymmv

I still feel like I am in denial about this race. I don't have a real 'plan', but I have kept up my Tuesday LT 4 mile tempo runs (10 consecutive so far). I never check my pace during the tempo run, I just do it the way I feel like. I'm surprised that my mile splits are reasonably close. So far, I am keeping in my desired pace range despite the 90% plus humidity. I am eager to see if the 'right' tempo gets faster when I finally get a 50 degree morning later on. I run a decent medium run with good hills every weekend. I will be adding in a longer mid-week run and lengthening the weekend run as the race gets nearer. Other than that, I run slow miles every morning during the week. I'll do some strides every so often. That's my non-plan.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Week 1 of Chicago/NYCM is done.  52ish miles logged, 15 mile LR with the last 3 @ fast pace.

The weather has been horrid.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Hi there, I'm running NYC too - sounds like it should be fun, although what a hellish week for training to officially start.  I have been training for Wineglass, and NYC is my second marathon for the fall, so I've been running in this mess for awhile, but it seems like it has just gotten worst since this past weekend.  So with that, I skipped the long run this week  - just wussed out in the heat.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Have fun, kids.

I was seriously contemplating this, but my only present route is by way of charity entry.  There charity I'd feel most comfortable soliciting for is not a listed NYC Marathon charity.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

lagwagon

Week 1. Week 1 is in the books!  Things went very well considering my low mileage this spring and the heat/humidity.  I logged 65 miles for the week, which is the most I've run in long time.  I had to cut my long run short today out of exhaustion.  

The week ahead is pretty mundane.  But, I do have my first MP run next Saturday.  Heat adjusted, I'm thinking something like 9:00 pace but we'll see.

More next week...

Julia--  Nice week!  That 18/85 plan has you ramping back up quickly.  

I had a similar (slightly shorter) long run, which I did finish, but I fell apart with 2 miles to go as I couldn't hold the pace any longer.  I dont usually drink much for a 2hr run, and although I hit a couple water fountains around miles 9 & 10, it probably wasnt enough with temp in the low 80s and dewpoint in mid 70s.  

Also looking forward to the MP run this weekend.  I'm not sure how to adjust for the heat...I dont track heart rate, so I might just start off at MP+30 sec for the first few miles, then increase 15 sec/mile as tolerated up to goal for last mile or two.

Off to a good start here...already sore, tired, and passing out on my couch at 8:30pm routinely...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Julia1971

Looks like we're off to a good start!  I'm glad people are posting in this thread.  Very motivational...

Meaghan and D_R, Nice job getting the mileage in.

YMMV, Your non-plan sounds a lot like a plan.  Smile

Sprinkles, I hear ya on the heat.  I keep telling myself it's too early to complain.  I have to wait until August.

LagWagon, FWIW, I remembered I had run marathon pace in hot weather - Boston 2012.  It looks like I had trained for 7:38 pace and ran 8:17 pace.  So, MP+30-40 seconds seems about right to me.  But, I don't think I'm doing mine that fast.  In fact, I'm thinking about heading for a treadmill.

Nader and Xhristopher, I'm sure we'll appreciate the moral support in the months to come.

TakeAHike

This will be my first marathon, so I am glad to have successfully completed week 1 of Pfitz 18/55.  I hadn't been running tempos recently, so the tempo run was the main challenge in the first week.  I haven't done many long(ish) runs this year and haven't run more than 15 miles in years, so I am generally a bit nervous about the long runs.  This weekend is my first mile pace run.  I am currently on vacation in the Adirondacks where the weather is perfect for running.  I have all but decided to take advantage of the weather and do my MP run tomorrow instead of on Saturday.  At this point, there is not much difference between the long run and medium long run anyway.  Unless I change my mind, I will be aiming for 13 tomorrow with 8 @ 7:20 - 7:30.  We'll see how that pans out

I won't let myself set a goal pace until I run a HM 6 weeks before the marathon.  That said, I am using 3:15 as my goal for training purposes and I have been able to hit appropriate paces so far.  I will probably end up targeting 3:25 or 3:30, but I want to see how training goes first.

Nice job everyone with the start of your marathon training.

Julia - nice job in week 1.  18/85 looks like a very serious plan. I will be interested to hear how it works out for you.  I have also read Hudson and quite liked his book.  So instead of a 4 mile tempo, are you doing 2 x 2 miles with a short jogging break in between?

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Julia1971

Ugh.  So jealous.  Enjoy your vacation...  Congrats on finishing Week 1 of your first marathon cycle!

As far as my plan, I'm actually not taking a rest in between, I'm just mentally breaking it up into different segments with each being progressively harder.  Last marathon cycle, I did what you described - I ran my tempo runs as "cruise intervals".  It was alright but I can't say it made tempos any more effective so I decided to go back to running them as one big block of time.  I'm just starting them slower out the gate.  The Hudson plan had me doing my tempos as a third at MP, a third at HMP, and a third at HMP-10K pace.  That formula seems to work well for me.

This will be my first marathon, so I am glad to have successfully completed week 1 of Pfitz 18/55.  I hadn't been running tempos recently, so the tempo run was the main challenge in the first week.  I haven't done many long(ish) runs this year and haven't run more than 15 miles in years, so I am generally a bit nervous about the long runs.  This weekend is my first mile pace run.  I am currently on vacation in the Adirondacks where the weather is perfect for running.  I have all but decided to take advantage of the weather and do my MP run tomorrow instead of on Saturday.  At this point, there is not much difference between the long run and medium long run anyway.  Unless I change my mind, I will be aiming for 13 tomorrow with 8 @ 7:20 - 7:30.  We'll see how that pans out

I won't let myself set a goal pace until I run a HM 6 weeks before the marathon.  That said, I am using 3:15 as my goal for training purposes and I have been able to hit appropriate paces so far.  I will probably end up targeting 3:25 or 3:30, but I want to see how training goes first.

Nice job everyone with the start of your marathon training.

Julia - nice job in week 1.  18/85 looks like a very serious plan. I will be interested to hear how it works out for you.  I have also read Hudson and quite liked his book.  So instead of a 4 mile tempo, are you doing 2 x 2 miles with a short jogging break in between?

Finished wk 1 with 28.6 miles..doing HH Intermediate 1

TakeAHike

I will be aiming for 13 tomorrow with 8 @ 7:20 - 7:30.  We'll see how that pans out.

Well that did not go very well.  I ended up running 14, but my last 8 miles were much slower than I wanted.  I felt great going into the run. The temp was 73, but the due point was 70.  I can probably point to several reasons for the poor run, including humidity, tough rolling hills and not enough time between long runs, but I think my biggest mistake was setting a goal pace that was too aggressive.  Perhaps, I will be able to hold a pace like this by November, but I can't do it now.  I will dial back my expectations for my next mile pace run.  Hopefully that will work out better.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20