Garmin Forerunner 201 (Read 1521 times)

I'm in Garmin withdrawal. It locked up and won't reset or shut down. I let it run out of batteries and recharged it, but, it is still locked up. I'm addicted to running with this thing and find it very strange to run without knowing my exact pace, distance, or splits. Any suggestions?
      I can only imagine your pain! I have only been using mine for about two months. I would rather go for a long run with a cotton shirt on 100+ degree day with high humidity with no nip protection than run without my Garmin! Big grin Where did you buy it from? Can you take it back to them and have them work on it? Have you done a Google search for "Garmin locked up" or something like that? Do you have a local run/bike or even a watch shop you could take it to? I hope this helps!
      "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'm in Garmin withdrawal. It locked up and won't reset or shut down. I let it run out of batteries and recharged it, but, it is still locked up. I'm addicted to running with this thing and find it very strange to run without knowing my exact pace, distance, or splits. Any suggestions?
        I heard that the Garmin support is phenomenal. You should definitely contact them. If your GPS is still under warranty, they'll probably send you a replacement.
          I can only imagine your pain! I have only been using mine for about two months. I would rather go for a long run with a cotton shirt on 100+ degree day with high humidity with no nip protection than run without my Garmin! Big grin Where did you buy it from? Can you take it back to them and have them work on it? Have you done a Google search for "Garmin locked up" or something like that? Do you have a local run/bike or even a watch shop you could take it to? I hope this helps!
          A friend of mine told me about a band that was playing at mile 21 of a marathon he ran. They were called "The Bloody Nips". Always thought that was hilarious. Unfortunately, my Garmin is 2 years old and no longer covered under warranty. I checked the Garmin website and see I can send it in for an overhaul ($59) which is not too bad. Perhaps, I will call their tech support. Hopefully, it's as good as you've heard mile collector. Thanks for the suggestions.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The Garmin Forerunner 205 and 305 are fantastic, and their price has dropped since they came out last Spring. They have better reception and feel better on the arm. Time to splurge...when is your birthday? Wink Seriously, if it is that important to you, spend the money. This is something you will use all the time!
            vicentefrijole

The Garmin Forerunner 205 and 305 are fantastic, and their price has dropped since they came out last Spring. They have better reception and feel better on the arm. Time to splurge...when is your birthday? Wink Seriously, if it is that important to you, spend the money. This is something you will use all the time!
              Sorry your Garmin is kaput... if it's been working so well for you, I suspect you're hesitant to buy a new one. I've also heard that Garmin has great support... the Garmin website has a link to a few different users forums (one is hosted by motion based: http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=60.0 ). These have LOTS of entries on stuff like this. You might luck out and find someone with a simple solution... but it sounds like it crashed pretty hard, so the repair might have to be done by the pros... By the way, I just bought the Forerunner 305 a month ago and I love it. I haven't figure out all the features yet, but i've been very impressed with its reliability... I only lose signal when I go inside or through a tunnel. When I was shopping, I saw a few good deals by independent vendors on Amazon (but can they be trusted?).
                Push the power and reset/lap button at the same time and hold down for a few seconds then release. Generally, that will take care of the problem.
                My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                  Thanks for the feedback. I'm very tempted to purchase the 205 (the smaller size is appealing to me), but, have decided to send the 201 in to Garmin for an overhaul. It has served me very well for over 2 years. I did call tech support and they had me try the power and reset button as you suggest, Don, but to no avail. They told me that I will get it back in 7 to 10 business days which isn't too bad.
                    I have a 305 and love it to death!!! I've had it for a while now and still find new things on it (who need the instructions anyway!!!!) This was the first GPS device I have owned, so I can't say whether or not I would drop the dime for a new one if I already had one that just needed a little repair. That being said, I love my 305!!!!!
                    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
                      Rob, What did you pay for the 305? Ken
                      vicentefrijole

I have a 305 and love it to death!!!
                        Me too! It's the best toy (for a grown-up) ever! Big grin
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The 305 is selling for as low as $279-299 out on the web. I got mine right when it came out at $375. T
                            Rob, What did you pay for the 305?
                            I paid right at $300. Not exactly change you can find in your couch, but well worth it!
                              Thanks for the info.
                                Can any of the information from the 205/305 be downloaded onto this training log? This has to be one of the best ones to work with (log wise) and i would hate to have to switch if I wanted to track all my workouts from the garmin.
                                Run long, run strong