Do you want Garmin Connect API integration for RunningAhead? (Read 1006 times)

eric :)

Hi all,

As of this moment, the code is complete.  I'm now waiting for Garmin to change a setting on their end so I can begin testing.  I expect testing to take about a week or two.  After that, I'll work with Garmin to switch over so it can be live.

eric Smile

delicate flower

I'm in and will expect PR's for it.

Hey, it worked.  Thanks.

<3

Hi all,

The testing is complete.  It went smoother than I anticipated.  There was a glaring error in Garmin's documentation that cost me several hours to rewrite the code.  Then there was also their out of date web server / Java SDK with a missing intermediate SSL certificate that took me another couple of hours to diagnose.

In order to obtain production API keys, I have to go through another round of filling out applications, signing end user license agreements, and paying the $5,000 license fee that they refuse to waive or reduce.  Their reasoning is that $5,000 keeps out the individual developers, small shops and non-committed companies.  The analysis of their logic would require a whole different thread.

I don't have an ETA on when this feature will be rolled out.  The license agreement is completely unfavorable for RA.  I cannot accept their terms and will need to do some negotiation.  If Garmin is unwilling to budge, then this feature will never be deployed.  Let's hope it won't come to that.

The thing is, I don't understand why Garmin did not provide the user license when I first contacted them.  It would be a waste of everyone's time if we can't agree to the license.  I don't understand why I have to apply for developer and production API keys separately.  I don't understand why it must be $5,000.  If they don't want other companies to have access to their data, then why bother with creating the API program?

eric Smile

MTA: A big thank you to all that have contributed toward this effort.  As of today, you have contributed about $3,000 to the cause.

beat

Break on through

If they don't want other companies to have access to their data, then why bother with creating the API program?

I don't know either.  The more sites that use GPS data from Garmin, the more people buying Garmin watches...

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

$26.2  Done!  Thanks Eric.  I hope this feature is rolled out.

I'm in too for the marathon value.  Does this mean I have to run one now? Smile

Love using RA.  Thanks for all the hard work you do, Eric.

Thank you so much for your hard work getting the Garmin Connect integration working. I have used your site for 10 years and now in conjunction with my Garmin devices. I am thrilled at being able to once again download my data efficiently on your site. I will continue to brag up Running Ahead to all my friends.

jbaco

Done! 26.2, Thanks Eric.

Fatto! Grazie Eric Smile

http://www.dicorsaaseizampe.com

Hi all,

Not much progress has been made in the negotiation front because Garmin said everything is non-negotiable.  There are several concerning issues that I can't mention without revealing specifics.  One issue involves the wording in the contract that might cause RA to violate the contract by simply integrating with the API.  Garmin responded by saying I have to take a leap of faith that Garmin won't act on these issues and that companies have accepted the same terms.  Being in the same boat is no solace that the boat can sink at any moment without warning.

I am left with two bad choices: hope that Garmin would not revoke the license on a whim, or not add this feature.  One means I might lose the $5,000 the day Garmin cashes it even if I did nothing.  The other means RA can't compete effectively.  I understand companies' desire to protect themselves, but the way this contract was written, the one sidedness ensures Garmin reaps all the benefits while RA shoulders all the risks.

eric Smile

kcam

Thanks for the update.

You do whatever is right, in your judgement, for RA and I will support it.  My contribution to this project stands even if we never get Integration with GC.

RA is more important to me as a runner than the device I'm wearing on my wrist.  Right now, my FR220 plays well with RA but future generations may not and that would be the time for me to desert the Garmin ship not the RA ship.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks for the update.

You do whatever is right, in your judgement, for RA and I will support it.  My contribution to this project stands even if we never get Integration with GC.

RA is more important to me as a runner than the device I'm wearing on my wrist.  Right now, my FR220 plays well with RA but future generations may not and that would be the time for me to desert the Garmin ship not the RA ship.

Yup.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runmichigan

I currently do not directly upload to RA.  I have a GARMIN 610 (and an older 405) and use the ANT Agent to upload from my watch via the ANT stick to my computer.  As part of the upload process my run data is transmitted to Garmin Connect though I do not use their site (just never shut it off).  I then use the file upload function in RA to upload the GPX file from my computer.

This works will for me, but I wonder how I will be impacted if I ever upgrade to Garmin Express.  Will I lose the GPX files that are automatically stored on my computer and with it the ability to upload them to RA?

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Thank you for the update, Eric.

Garmin uses similarly heavy-handed  tactics in other segments as well - I refuse to support them there and I'm happy to not have (another) dime go to them in the fitness market.

My contribution is to support the well-being of RA.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

RunMichigan - once you go the Express route, you will need to find another way to download the files to your computer.

I use SportTracks 3 for Windows. There are, undoubtedly, other options.

Liz

pace sera, sera