Richmond Marathon Report (Read 585 times)

2007 - Suntrust Richmond Marathon Training: I actually had the most miles in training for this marathon than I had for my last four marathons. I felt like I did everything right starting off- built a good base and was about to add speed work in to the mix when I broke my toe in week 3 of the program. The next three weeks were spent getting healed while trying to keep some running going. I started over again with the training had built the miles pretty well until late in the program when work/travel/vacation came in to play. I ended up having two long runs of 17 miles each and that was it for this program. All in all I feel very good about this training period, I just had a lack of 4-5 long runs that I really needed. Race Weekend: The weekend got off to a crazy start as I got to the Atlanta airport only to see that there was no electricity on teh concourse I was flying out of. There had been a fire earlier in the morning and they didn't have the electricity restored. The airport/airline personnel did an excellent job keeping things moving and we were only about 50 minutes late leaving. Then I got to the hotel in Richmond only to find they had chnaged the name 2 days before and the hotel was under total renovation. It was messy every where and only one of the two elevators was working. I headed down to the expo where I ran in to Barbara and Tim- after chatting for a minute and doing the expo thing we met back up for lunch. I kpet watchng for Tricia and James but never saw them- turns out they were caught up in traffic. Had dinner with Barbara, Tim, and Michelle (2L's). Upon returning to the hotel I saw who I thought to be Tricia checking in. It turned out it was Tricia and James just getting in to town. I met Tricia and James Saturday morning to walk over to the start line. We decided to wait in the host hotel by the start line and saw Barabra, Tim, and Michele again. After a couple of pictires we heaeded out to the start line. Race: Tricia and I had close goals for this race so we started out together. The course was beautiful- even on a cold/windy/cloudy monring. It took us through the downtown area, through beautiful neighborhoods, across and beside the James River, then back to town. I had studied the course map and knew where the hills were but I totally under estimated some of the hills. None of them were horrible by standards of what I train on but the course profile on the website doesn't do them justice- especially with the 10-15 mph wind in your face. I had planned on mapping out the course on google maps to see what profiloe I came up with but ran out of time before leaving to do so. I wan't sure how long I would be able to stay with Tricia. I was hoping to stay with her for the entire distance but also knew I wasn't hydrated quite like I needed to be and was worried abou tlegs cramps- something I have had a problem with in the past. I made it to about the 19.7 mile mark with her. I had started feeling my hamstring really tighten up earlier but thought I would be ok. We crossed a long bridge that had a pretty good uphill slant into a pretty strong wind for the entire distance at mile 16 and that one pretty much did me in. I was able to hang with Tricia for almost 4 more miles and then it was time to do whatever I could to make it in. I strectched at each mile marker and slowed my pace the rest of the way and thank goodness never cramped. After the race and sitting with Tricia and James for a bit we made our way back up the hill to the hotel. After an ice bath and a hot shower I went back out to watch and cheer for Barbara and Michele. After seeing them- Tricia, James, and I went to an Irish Pub for celebratory drink and food where we watched football and chatted for quite a while. It was great to see Barbara, Tim, Michele, Tricia and James. Tricia ran a very solid race- thanks for running with me. I look forward to watching her improvements over her future races. I looked and there are a few seconds difference between mine and Tricia's plits but that is just the difference of when we hit the lap button on our Garmins. Mile Split 1- 8.50 2- 8.50 3- 8.49 4- 8.42 5- 8.48 6- 8.53 7- 8.47 8- 8.52 9- 8.46 10- 8.46 11- 9.00 12- 8.43 13- 8.43 14- 8.36 15- 8.51 16- 8.55 17- 9.00 18- 8.49 19- 8.59 20- 9.52 21- 9.16 22- 9.17 23- 9.34 24- 10.03 25- 9.40 26- 8.51 .2- 1.51 (8.03 pace) Total Time- 3:57:39 Overall place: 1371/3783 Age group place- 180 Gender Place- 994 My goal for this marathon was to run a 3:45 - 4:00 and I ran a 3:57:38. I am happy with the race and hope to use this as a push in to the next program. After a couple of days off it will be time to get ready for the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thnaksgiving day.
    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
      congrats! that's so great you were able to stick with tricia for that long! WTG meeting your goal! I saw the fire in Atlanta you were talking about. Shocked talk about inferno! Shocked

Jennifer mm#1231

va

Hi alan, Congrats on completing another marathon and meeting you goal time!!! It's great that you could do so well given that you couldn't get all your long runs in.
          Way to go!
          btb1490

Great job Alan on the solid race and the great weekend!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice job, Alan! I still think it's so cool how many RA folks are meeting up at races in the past few weeks...way cool! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Awesome job, Alan. sounds like you had a good time, met your goal, and are eagerly looking forward to the next race. Smile

Tick tock

Dog-Love

Alan...Nice report Richmond sounds like a good marathon, eh? I think we should start a new RA group and call it... "Meeting and Running with Trishie". She is a fast gal!
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                    Thanks again for running with me, Alan. I really enjoyed the company and the pacing! Smile
                    2009: BQ?
                      Good job hitting your goal, Alan! You are definitely fast if you kept up with Trishie! Glad you guys had fun!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Considering that you were not able to run the training miles you wanted and your hamstring was giving you grief, that's an excellent result. An HTFU effort for sure, well done Alan! Best of luck to you on Turkey Day. P.S. A 50 minute delay during a power outage is nearly miraculous, somebody upstairs likes ya. Smile

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Another Passion

Congratulations, Alan! That's awesome! Another inspiring race report. Big grin

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Congrats Alan. You did Georgia proud.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Congratulations! Next year I want to run the Richmond marathon with all you speedy people! Ok, well...BEHIND all you speedy people...
                                Way to work.