What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Personally, I don't follow football enough to give a flying flip about their season. I went by the article and if they're wrong,  complain to them.

I was fortunate enough to have a trainer of the team intersted in my work in application to injury prevention and a strength and conditionin coach willing to learn how I teach strength training. That I could improve the movement skills of an entire team and having the impact that it did (accurate or not) to change their record is my point.

A football team is a collection of players who need specific skills to excel at their position. Its pretty cool to have them openly admit that learning how to jump like a grasshopper improved their quickness and speed off the line and see the reaction on their faces where I learned it was a lot of fun.

That I could watch a lineman struggling to lift 300lbs in a lift under the supervision of the team's strength and conditioning coach, to listen how an ant can lift 50 times its own weight, and watch him lift the weight with ease is how I earned their respect.

That I could teach a running back how to outcut and out run a defender who before training with me was hobbled with foot injuries was my reward. Most impressed beyond the player was the team's running back coach.

That their quarterback went from 93 to 127 completions in passes between the two seasons is unique that his confidence in throwing came from learning how to move like T-Rex.

Coaches know plays, I know movement. Plays are one component to the game, the movement skills to do so is what I teach.

And that's the joke of the question about Salazar. Running isn't just marathon or track and field events. I can pretty much guarantee that more athletes are playing football, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, volleyball, tennis, basketball, baseball, and an incredible range of rotational sports beyond the track or cross country team.

That 70% of ACL tears are non contact and are incured in trying to stop or change direction, is what separates me from Salazar. While he can teach an athlete how to run faster, he can't teach them how to stop or cut. I can and do. While maybe no interest to you, the ability to teach an athlete how to execute a 180 degree directional change with no measurable torque load to their knee (the cause of most ACL tears) regardless to gender (since female athletes are 6-8 times more likely to tear their ACL's than males are, oh and don't ask Salazar why) is what puts me worlds apart from anyone else.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

What is your opinion of "kitten running" in the above linked article?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Kitty running as I called it back then was how I described a distance focused running technique.

Cats are much more efficient in running economy than either humans or horses (for a quadruped comparison)

Horses and humans overstride, cat's don't. Why wouldn't a distance runner not want to learn the skill?

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Prince of Fatness

That 70% of ACL tears are non contact and are incured in trying to stop or change direction, is what separates me from Salazar. While he can teach an athlete how to run faster, he can't teach them how to stop or cut. I can and do.

That's great and all, but this is a running message board, a place where people come because they are interested in running faster, not stopping or cutting.

Not at it at all. 

xor

Most ultra runners don't want to learn how to stop anyway.

Speaking of, I effed up a goal race a couple weeks ago and I have felt like a kitty runner ever since.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

That's great and all, but this is a running message board, a place where people come because they are interested in running faster, not stopping or cutting.

No, but the skills to do so can allow you to run faster uphill or downhill with no strain to your knees...

xor

It all starts with a flick and swish.

Wingardium leviosa.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

It all starts with a flick and swish.

Wingardium leviosa.

That doesn't stop the torque however, especially given how common knee pain is in downhill running...

The other cool part is that I just got off the phone with the science director of one of the nationally accepted training certification programs. I'm meeting with him next week in Seattle to share with him my work for curriculum inclusion.

That their quarterback went from 93 to 127 completions in passes between the two seasons is unique that his confidence in throwing came from learning how to move like T-Rex.

I'll grant that you probably don't know much about football, but he had 2 basically identical passing seasons.

2010 = 93 completions / 154 attempts = 60.4% over 8 games (19.25 attempts per game)

2011 = 127 completions / 219 attempts = 58% over 11 games (19.9 attempts per game)

Do T-rex's take drop steps?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I'll grant that you probably don't know much about football, but he had 2 basically identical passing seasons.

2010 = 93 completions / 154 attempts = 60.4% over 8 games (19.25 attempts per game)

2011 = 127 completions / 219 attempts = 58% over 11 games (19.9 attempts per game)

T-rex's make terrible receivers. They short-arm everything. 

sport jester

Biomimeticist

For him it was a number of issues, as it takes the entire team's efforts to allow him to throw one more pass attempt per game. Having the accuracy confidence to do so is significant if its a a fourth down situation and choosing to pass rather than run the play.

The reference for T-Rex is teaching cranial stability in movement, drop step, side step, or as a foundation to throw accurately.

JimR

throw one more pass attempt per game.

the running game probably fell flat

sport jester

Biomimeticist

the running game probably fell flat

So did your attempt at criticism

For him it was a number of issues, as it takes the entire team's efforts to allow him to throw one more pass attempt per game. Having the accuracy confidence to do so is significant if its a a fourth down situation and choosing to pass rather than run the play.

Huh? He attempted 0.65 more passes per game, but completed 0.1 fewer passes per game. And the teams' 4th down conversion rate (5/15) was worse than the prior year (9/25). T-rex loves numbers. T-rex wants more numbers.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              sport jester

Biomimeticist

And yet 2-9 was converted to 7-4....

Explain the failure...