? for those who have adjusted their form (or know something about form and stability issues) (Read 701 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the past couple of weeks I have really worked on my form--concentrating on better posture and midfoot strike, rather than an almost backwards lean and hard heel striking. It's made an amazing impact on my "speed" (such as it is). To assist with this I purchased a pair of less controlling, lighter weight trainers with a less built-up heel (NB 902). I've so far only used them on a couple of shorter runs, but really like them. For the last couple of months most of my mileage has been in my NB 767s, which is a mild-moderate stability shoe. It's been working very well for me. In the past the shoe that has worked best for me is the NB 1222, which is a moderate-high stability shoe. I've run all of my longer races (10 mile - 25k) in this model (I'm on my second pair in a year), but these races were all before I paid any attention to my form. Tonite I went back to my 1222s to try to squeeze a few miles out of them and it was a miserable experience. While these shoes used to feel right, now they felt like trying to run with cinder blocks attached to my feet through a swamp. Hard to believe this is the same shoe I rated as my fave for so long. I was just talking to Eryn and recalling that I had some similar issues with the 1222 in the early Spring, just after the snow had melted. All Winter I had run in the all-weather version of the 767 and really liked that, mostly because they kept my feet warm and dry. When I went back to my 1222s they initially didn't work for me at all, but after a month or so they were fine again.... I think maybe I know why. I am now wondering if I subconsciously was striking more midfoot and with more upright posture/balance on the slippery snow and ice without really noticing it, which is why switching back to the 1222s was very painful in the early Spring. Then as I reaccustomed myself to dry pavement I went back to heel striking, which made the 1222 a more appropriate shoe for my needs. Does this seem likely? Now I'm wondering if I should consider the 1223 at all. I'm almost wondering if my change in footstrike could be requiring less stability from my shoes...? It would be nice if I could switch to a less stable shoe for the bulk of my miles--those damned high stability shoes are high-priced, too! Wink Any thoughts from those with more expertise? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So did just returned from his bike ride and I relayed the entire experience and my theory to him. He's no longer a runner, but was once-upon-a-time and even ran CC in college his frosh year (which is funny, since he is WAY big compared to most CC runners). He definitely thinks my theory about why the lower stability shoes worked so well during the Winter and again now makes sense. It's all about that midfoot planting and change in posture. He used to have occasion to run on ice and said that even while walking on ice one tends to place their foot on slippery surfaces more flat and push-off carefully with body aligned over the center of the foot, rather than heel-to-toe with the body leaned back.

~ Sarah Kay

I'm not foot/shoe expert but it definitely seems possible. I know lots of people who over time and training have gone from being wicked overpronators to neutral or at least only slightly overpronating.

Runners run

You didn't listen to the naysayers on posture change and that's GREAT. You read some good advice somewhere and made a sound decision to the path of enlightenment. Keep it up and I'd say get rid of those 1222's and choose less intrusive, minimalist shoes from now on. Smile

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Keep it up and I'd say get rid of those 1222's and choose less intrusive, minimalist shoes from now on. Smile
            I think I will! Man, and the 767 is SO much cheaper than the 1222/1223--like to the tune of $60 right now! And I hear the 768 is going to have even more forefoot cushioning (NB seems to be in some sort of partnership with Chi Running, so many of their advancements in upcoming shoe models appears to be in the form of better forefoot cushioning--good news for anyone implementing a more midfoot/forefoot landing technique). Just when I think I have this whole running thing figured out something new presents itself. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I would suggest that your change from overpronator to more neutral is more the result of the training you've done than any concious/subconcious choice to run more balance with mid-foot strike, etc. As your muscles, connective tissues and even bones have gotten stronger and more accustomed to the rigors of long distance running, your foot has become better at doing what it was designed/evolved to do. But, as Crash Davis said to Annie Savoy, "If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you ARE! And you should know that!"

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, that's hilarious, Mikey. And I'll bet there's something to that. Though I will say that a couple of weeks ago I wore my 1222s for a few runs and they were fine (I was definitely planning to order a pair of 1223s as soon as they are available, even)--but I also wasn't really working on my form too much at that point. Now I've gotten to the point where the midfoot landing and better posture is happening without my having to consciously think about it very much (and trying to heel strike is actually feeling more awkward/uncomfortable), so I'm not sure how much of it is my different stride/foot plant and how much is muscular--probably some combo of both. k

~ Sarah Kay

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I totally believe in progressing toward less-supportive shoes as your form and strength improve. Good job.
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sweet. It's awesome to be able to buy <$100 shoes,="" instead="" of="" $135!=""></$100>

~ Sarah Kay

I would suggest that your change from overpronator to more neutral is more the result of the training you've done than any concious/subconcious choice to run more balance with mid-foot strike, etc. As your muscles, connective tissues and even bones have gotten stronger and more accustomed to the rigors of long distance running, your foot has become better at doing what it was designed/evolved to do.
                      I think you are right, Mike. I have been having issues with my shoes/orthotics since returning to running. At the same time, I "feel" stronger when I run. More recent problems have been ITB issues specifically outer knee, hip flexor, and low back pain that seems to be more related to tight hip muscles - I had none of these issues pre-injury. I went to my local running store ( my heroes Smile ) and had them watch me run - well totally supinating through out!!!! Tried running in just the shoe without orthotics - same thing !!!! So I went from a Trance 7 with custom orthotic to an Adrenaline with nothing but the insert that comes with the shoe. My left is great, slightly toe in on the R - but I am just going to try this for awhile. I think I didn't notice it at first because I wasn't able to run any real distance. Pool running this round consisted of muscle balancing exercises as well as endurance running. I would never have believed it would make that much difference - but I am hard pressed to come up with another explanation. K - I also went from $135 shoes to $95 - so what else could I do? I went shopping at the running store Big grin MTA: I also had a sudden increase in my freaky left calf which again is sporting a 1" difference - after watching myself on tape, I can see that supinating is at least partially responsible Roll eyes

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group