Knee Discomfort (Read 1160 times)

I'm new to running and am in week 5 of the c25k.  After my W5D2 on Saturday I did some yard work for several hours.  The next day I felt a little discomfort below my knee cap on both legs.  Not really pain, just a little pressure.  I rested most of the day yesterday and this morning I still feel it a little bit.  It comes and goes and isn't constant, but I still feel it.

Today I'm scheduled to run W5D3 (a 20 minute run).  I'm wondering should I give myself another day or two to rest and see if it goes away completely?  Should I try and run and if it worse, stop?

Started c25k on 5/30/11

combo of being new to running & also doing several hrs of yardwork may have been just a bit more stress than your knees (and rest of body) is used to.  why not just go out for a nice relaxed 20-30 minute walk at a local park.  no stress, still get some excercise & if better tomorrow, resume your c25k program.   no need to rush or push it.   did you ice your knees Sat or Sunday?

I did not ice my knees.  I just took some Advil.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

I ended up going for my run last night and felt fine.  I put some ice on them when I got home as a precaution and today I still feel fine. 

Started c25k on 5/30/11

JacobBlankenship

Check your shoes. They may be old or just be the wrong kind of shoes for you. It doesn't definitely mean it's your shoes, but most injuries and pains like this are caused by bad shoes.

Yeah, the shoes I wear for yard work are old and need to be replaced.  That probably played a part in it.  The ones I run in are 2 months old and I haven't had any issues from them yet.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Something I found that really helps my knee pains is to use a heating pad on the area immediately after icing.

yep,  alternating ice/heat for a few minutes each.  do this for  1/2 hr or so.   ice immediately to reduce any swelling (which may cause the pain) & then heat.   sometimes if I have any moderate pain issues (which by the way is common for my age) I will do the ice/heat  for awhile & then do some easy stretching followed by ice/heat again.  sometimes foam roller if calfs/hamstrings/quads are the issues.  never try rolling out the knees though. Since today I went for a run (short, easy) & have been doing yardwork for past 2 hrs, will do the above while watching Mariners game later tonight.   Prince Pineda is pitching against the Braves (for any of you baseball fans) .

Tight muscles  and shoes, or support in shoes can play big role.  The Quad muscles are attatched to various regions of the patella, a tight muscle can pull on the knee and cause pain.  Hamstrings cross over the knee joint and attatch to the tibia, bicep femorus crosses over knee joint and attatches to head of fibula.  Gracilis is another muscle that crosses the knee joint.

Basically if any one of those muscles is tight, knee pain can result as it will effect the tracking of the knee.  I'm a huge fan of the foam roller for the major muscles =)

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

When I was having knee pain problems, sometimes taking a day off seemed like a good idea.  There were many times, though, that I ran and the knees actually felt better as a result.  You just need to listen to your body and decide.

flatfootruns

Tight muscles  and shoes, or support in shoes can play big role.  The Quad muscles are attatched to various regions of the patella, a tight muscle can pull on the knee and cause pain.  Hamstrings cross over the knee joint and attatch to the tibia, bicep femorus crosses over knee joint and attatches to head of fibula.  Gracilis is another muscle that crosses the knee joint.

Basically if any one of those muscles is tight, knee pain can result as it will effect the tracking of the knee.  I'm a huge fan of the foam roller for the major muscles =)

foam roller?"...what do you do with it...how does it help...

brandicted

Check your shoes. They may be old or just be the wrong kind of shoes for you. It doesn't definitely mean it's your shoes, but most injuries and pains like this are caused by bad shoes.

Agreed .....

brandicted

Agreed .....