Anyone ever do a relay race? (Read 1017 times)

I did the Reach the Beach in 2005. It was a great experience, but my recovery after that race was crazy. It totally took away my will to run and beat up my legs. I didn't run for a week afterwards, and had no desire to enter another race for a few months.
    I had the complete opposite reaction. I couldn't get the adrenaline to stop pumping. The next morning I was wide awake at about 4am and decided to run a big 5K in town. I got there late and had to park almost a mile away. I ran to registration then ran to the start just in time. The race was screwed up so I (and many others) ended up doing about an extra 1/2 mile. After that I made myself rest for a few days.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Totally unrelated -- Hey NatefromRI, are you the Nate from Rhode Island that I occasionally hear from on CNET's Buzz Out Loud podcast?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

kcam

Never done one but I'm thinking very hard about doing this one, it's just a little far away from me. It just totally seems like my kinda thing - trail running, river crossings etc. Hope I don't bite off more than I can chew. Great Lakes Relay
          Totally unrelated -- Hey NatefromRI, are you the Nate from Rhode Island that I occasionally hear from on CNET's Buzz Out Loud podcast?
          Nope, not me. I know another Nate, also from RI, but I don't think it's him either. How many more of us can there be?

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I have done the Outward Bound Relay in Colorado three times. Relays are really fun, yeah you don't get much sleep but you can do that when your dead right. The last leg can hurt a little but if you train for it it's not too bad.
            If you're bored ask why you're boring

The Greatest of All Time

I sort of stumbled into one last minute this past weekend. See RR for River to River, Saturday April 19.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                I sort of stumbled into one last minute this past weekend. See RR for River to River, Saturday April 19.
                Going to check it out now...

- Anya

I'll be running Reach The Beach (RTB) in NH for the 5th time this year. If you get the opportunity to do one of these you should. It is amazing!

Sierra Foothills Runner

Six years ago I did a 100K relay (see www.danceswithdirt.com) with 4 friends. We started at 7 am, splitting 15 legs of the relay between the 5 of us. What a BLAST! It really was the most fun I've ever had running. Lots of mud, lots of water -- garbage cans overflowed with thrown out shoes! We pretty much came in dead last, but didn't care. One vehicle, taking turns driving from exchanges, coolers of food and drink, changing in the back seat or by the car (we were an all woman team, BTW Shocked ) So, if you get a chance to do a relay -- go for it. I know that I'd do a trail relay again in a heartbeat --- road races I think would tear up your legs more. Enjoy it & have fun!
                      Last December, in a "catch up" conversation with an old friend I said that had recently done two athletic events that I plan to continue to do each year until I become too old. One of those things was the Reach the Beach Relay where I ran with 9 people that I met for the first time the day before the race. My first leg was an easy 3.5. But, because we had lost a runner before the start, I was also assigned one of the "very hard" legs, which I ran at 2:30 in the morning in a cold hard rain. Notwithstanding that, the whole event was the bomb. I am already looking forward to this year's race. You should absolutely do it.
                      kcam

Jaybar, sounds awesome - exactly my kinda thang. I just committed yesterday to do the Great Lakes Relay in Michigan, I think. 9 other runners, I know two of them - as an enticement they gave me the crown jewel leg. A 10 miler that crosses rivers, through sandpits. Yeah,baby!
                        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have done two. The ATC(Atlanta track club) has one in September. ATC Atlanta Ekiden Relay. 4-6 member teams running 26.2 miles.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/