What's the longest run you've ever done (no walk breaks)? (Read 2826 times)

I'm curious to see what people have done. Personally my longest is 14 miles, but I know a lot of you more experienced ones would laugh at that effort which is an average day for some... but I'm happy about it Smile So. Who can top it? Wink
    Purdey

Self anointed title

Congratulations!

My longest with no walk breaks would be about 26.2 miles.  I guess that will be quite a common response.

With walk breaks my longest is 75.8 miles.  But I guess that some can beat that!

Longest with no walk breaks - 26.2 (3rd marathon)

Longest with walk breaks - 26.2 (1st 2 marathons!)

Driver, Runner, Bestie

13.1 miles, but I am thinking about a marathon in the Spring.  I will hit my one year running anniversary this month.

Beware, batbear...

I did 12 miles a couple of years ago, but nothing that long since I started running again this year.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

In my past life as a runner, I ran a full marathon 26.2 without stopping to walk (not even at water stops)....

Over the past year -- 10 miles is the most without a walk.........but I usually walk on runs of over 5 miles...

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'm curious to see what people have done. Personally my longest is 14 miles, but I know a lot of you more experienced ones would laugh at that effort which is an average day for some... but I'm happy about it Smile So. Who can top it? Wink

Does a 15 sec , half run/fast walk , trying not to choke /drown while drinking during a race count as a walk break?

If not , then 23 miles of 1st marathon, before walking for the first time.  I guess I look at those as not drowning breaks versus walk breaks, as intent/effect is just to get the fluids and still moving faster than some run.

If slowing a bit for water counts as walk break than probably never more than 5 - 6 miles as can not run and drink at the same time

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

You Are Beautiful.

I'll qualify it by saying I'm a beginner: 5 miles. I was SO proud of that day. I'm inching up to a HM, hoping to be able to complete the HM (no time limit), without stopping.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                  Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Tough question... I know I've done plenty of 13 milers without even stopping for water.  Above that, I'm not sure... maybe up to 15 or so.  I've done up to 26.2 with walks while I drank, but they were never specifically for rest.

-------------------------------------
                    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Does a 15 sec , half run/fast walk , trying not to choke /drown while drinking during a race count as a walk break?

If not , then 23 miles of 1st marathon, before walking for the first time.  I guess I look at those as not drowning breaks versus walk breaks, as intent/effect is just to get the fluids and still moving faster than some run.

If slowing a bit for water counts as walk break than probably never more than 5 - 6 miles as can not run and drink at the same time

Someone understands! lol, my friends always make fun of me b/c i can never down a cup of water while running in xc. i try and it starts getting up my nose and all over my face, so i just give up and splash it all on my chest or over my head :P.

yes, a lot of marathoners here, i wonder if there's any ultra-marathoners that can beat that distance without walking?

nauseousadrnalin, don't feel bad about that! i remember being so happy about completing this REALLY LONG route of about 1.6 miles without ever walking :P 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

37.5 miles when I thought I'd have to run all the way in my first 50-miler to make the 14 hour cutoff.

Needless to say, I fizzled at 37.5 miles and finished an hour-and-a-half over the cutoff.

Next year, I walked up all the ascents and finished in 14 hours.

lesson learned.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Someone understands! lol, my friends always make fun of me b/c i can never down a cup of water while running in xc. i try and it starts getting up my nose and all over my face, so i just give up and splash it all on my chest or over my head

Dude I am with you and thats all I do in races, well except the chest as us old guys generally don't run without shirts like you young studs.

5K - No Water stops

5 miler - Usually skip all but the last with a 1/2 oz quick sip to moisten the mouth and head dump

10 k - Have 1 this weekend and may have to take a quick 15 sec walk/run at 1 stop to actually drink something as will be hot and not sure if can make 6.2 without any fluid, as mouth was like cotton at mile 4 of the last 5 miler before splash and go.

10 miler and halfs  coming up next week-- need to fiigure something out

marathon --- i need to sacrifice the time as fluids are more important.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Someone understands! lol, my friends always make fun of me b/c i can never down a cup of water while running in xc. i try and it starts getting up my nose and all over my face, so i just give up and splash it all on my chest or over my head :P.

yes, a lot of marathoners here, i wonder if there's any ultra-marathoners that can beat that distance without walking?

nauseousadrnalin, don't feel bad about that! i remember being so happy about completing this REALLY LONG route of about 1.6 miles without ever walking :P 

I think ultra marathoners will either stop to eat and drink, or they're able to do so because they aren't running at a real fast pace. A guy I run with has done multiple 100 milers and he told me he walks often, never mind he's running for nearly 20 hours...

During short races, I have a real hard time drinking anything. First of all, I'm gasping for air and drinking is impossible, but for a 1/2M or full marathon, they pace lends itself to drinking. 

I really don't know why anyone needs to drink during a 5K run. That little bit of dehydration isn't going to hurt you. I'd guess your time will be hurt more by slowing down to drink. 

Get Lost :)

I'm having a lot of trouble with this question. I'm assuming that you're not being condescending toward walking, but my attitude on walking has totally changed after the VT100. I have a really loose definition of running: if walking is the fastest one can reasonably go at a certain time, and it's during a run, then that is as good as running to me. I mean, what definition is being used? The race walking/feet on the ground one? A speed limit?

The other thing is that the fastest race walkers are faster than I am running, though the fastest runners are faster than the fastest race walkers. But in the world of footraces, walking's not such a bad thing.

Having said all of that ... I think that the max distance I'd be satisfied with running straight is about 30 miles. I've done an 18 mile run with no stopping, but even that doesn't count because I still had to wait for some lights, which meant that I was standing for up to 30 seconds, which is a reprieve itself. It's surprising how much of a difference that makes in my efficiency. I'm starting to drink the Galloway Kool-Aid, I think. After all, Galloway Run-Walkers still run marathons faster than I could.

I recently ran a hill in Central Massachusetts that included steep, rocky sections that I simply could not "run" in the traditional sense. It's likely possible that a more skilled runner could have run them, but in my hike I was moving as fast as possible through these sections. Any time the trail was reasonable and not scrambling up rocks, I'd be running again. It was a 7 miler with 1700' of vertical ascent, and I don't think that the hiking sections diminished at all my enjoyment or categorization of it as a run.

Finally, I cannot imagine doing the 101K at the VT100 that I've done as a pacer without walking for significant parts of it.

xor

i wonder if there's any ultra-marathoners that can beat that distance without walking?

Yes. 

But if you blow through the ultra aid stations, you miss the best part!

BTW, if I stop to tie my shoe, does it still count? 

What if I have to, you know... go...  Although I can manage it, I really don't like peeing on the run.  And don't get me started on pooping while running.

Anyway, my personal answer to this question is 46, and it still bums me out that I didn't make it quite to 50.

Oh well.

It's just running.