How do you feel at the end of a 5k? (Read 364 times)

This thread amuzes me from the standpoint that people often assert that I don't do races like 5Ks because "since they're so short, they must be too easy."  Nothing can be further from the truth. I enjoy races of nearly all distances -- I might even enjoy a 400 if I had some speed.

It's a foreign concept to them when I say, "Any race hurts a lot if you actually push yourself.   The shorter ones are death by fire, and the longer ones are death by paper cuts."

Latent Runner

It's a foreign concept to them when I say, "Any race hurts a lot if you actually push yourself.   The shorter ones are death by fire, and the longer ones are death by paper cuts."

Then there's the 10K, kinda like death by a red glowing (from fire) Samurai Sword.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      bap

This thread amuzes me from the standpoint that people often assert that I don't do races like 5Ks because "since they're so short, they must be too easy."  Nothing can be further from the truth. I enjoy races of nearly all distances -- I might even enjoy a 400 if I had some speed.

There was a thread on Letsrun.com asking what was the hardest distance to race.  The most common answer was the 400 meters.

Certified Running Coach
        Crocked since 2013

DaBurger

I thought everyone knew the hardest race was the 600 hurdles.

Know thyself.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I find that the shorter races I do (like the 5k) where I DON'T feel like I'm going to puke at the end are the most painful because I didn't give it all I had.

In fact, that feeling of pukiness usually hits me around mile 1, at which point I almost always question why I continue to race the 5k since it always hurts so much.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

The only people I ever hear say this are non runners or total casuals that don't actually race, or even know to race the 5k, and just jog it.

I can't imagine any serious runner saying this. Has it been said on this board for instance?

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

kcam

There was a thread on Letsrun.com asking what was the hardest distance to race.  The most common answer was the 400 meters.

I completely agree with that answer.  I'm skeered to run the 400m anymore, I always wonder if I'll make it to the finish line before blacking out and faceplanting.  Is there such a thing as 600m hurdles?  It must be pure hell.

Latent Runner

I completely agree with that answer.  I'm skeered to run the 400m anymore, I always wonder if I'll make it to the finish line before blacking out and faceplanting.  Is there such a thing as 600m hurdles?  It must be pure hell.

Crossing the line on your lips; next YouTube sensation.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

The only people I ever hear say this are non runners or total casuals that don't actually race, or even know to race the 5k, and just jog it.

I can't imagine any serious runner saying this. Has it been said on this board for instance?

These are non-runners saying this. Sorry if I gave the impression experienced runners were saying this...

DaBurger

Is there such a thing as 600m hurdles?  It must be pure hell.

It's a mocking resolution to the "hardest" race debate which usually comes down to 800 vs 400H.

Know thyself.

bap

The 400 meters hurdles must be really tough. I don't think I could jump over one hurdle, never mind 10. My coach is a 400 meter hurdler with a PB of 57.25. I'm jealous of her glutes of steel.

Certified Running Coach
                        Crocked since 2013

Latent Runner

The 400 meters hurdles must be really tough. I don't think I could jump over one hurdle, never mind 10. My coach is a 400 meter hurdler with a PB of 57.25. I'm jealous of her glutes of steel.

Jealous of or lustful after?

Fat old man PRs:

good timing from RW:

Post-Race Vomiting

Wing

Joggaholic

I have puked a few times (and wanted to puke many times) after a 5k, that don't bother me anymore. Lately my problem is wanting to puke in the middle mile already, I just couldn't get my pacing right.

I have puked a few times (and wanted to puke many times) after a 5k, that don't bother me anymore. Lately my problem is wanting to puke in the middle mile already, I just couldn't get my pacing right.

that sounds more like a problem with what you ate before the race than a problem of pacing.  Try erroring on the side of eating less before the race.