It Ain't Over, Till It's Over (Read 235 times)

Walk-Jogger

In the 2013 men’s Cherry Blossom 10-mile race, defending champ Allan Kiprono and his fellow Kenyan Daniel Salel battled fiercely to the very end. Five meters from the finish, Kiprono held up two fingers on his left hand, indicating his second Cherry Blossom victory. But Salel, on his left, lunged and actually got to the finish tape first. A bewildered Kiprono ran into a photographer and crashed to the pavement – and the win, 46:06.0 to 46:06.5, went to Salel.   Roll eyes

Retired &  Loving It

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Any videos of this out there?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I can still hear Coach Moore (RIP you goofy old bastard) screaming "RUN THROUGH THE FINISH LINE!!"   Hope Kiprono learned his lesson.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Walk-Jogger

Any videos of this out there?

As a matter of fact, there is!

I don't think all those people standing in the way just past the finish line should have been there, as they were certainly in the way of a full-on sprint finish, but I don't think their presence changed the outcome. That was very close but epic fail for Kiprono.

Retired &  Loving It

Did the idiot with the camera not realize there was a road race going on? I'm not so convinced the pack of shitheads at the finish line did not affect the outcome of the race.

Runners run

joescott

Indeed.  I HATE it when idiots crowd the finish area.  Get out of the frickin' way you morons.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Resident Historian

Every HS XC coach across the country should add this video to their standards!

I don't think the idiots affected the outcome... but that doesn't make them less idiotic.  Shame on the race organizers also for not clearing the way a bit better.

Happy recent birthday Cecil58!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

zonykel

The camera angle isn't ideal, but it's obvious that Kiprono got complacent and was oblivious to Salel's sprint at the finish. The crowd at the finish line was unnecessary, but even if it was a distraction, that's no excuse.

Walk-Jogger

Every HS XC coach across the country should add this video to their standards!

I don't think the idiots affected the outcome... but that doesn't make them less idiotic.  Shame on the race organizers also for not clearing the way a bit better.

Happy recent birthday Cecil58!

Thanks Neil. One year closer to that world record I plan to set when I turn 99....

Retired &  Loving It

Proudfoot

On the bright side, at least the two fingers can conveniently be assumed to represent finishing in second place.

I can still hear Coach Moore (RIP you goofy old bastard) screaming "RUN THROUGH THE FINISH LINE!!"   Hope Kiprono learned his lesson.

Yep.  Anyone who celebrates prior to the goal and then loses?  Well, I have 0 sympathy!

And a 2nd place at that time is still really damn respectable, he beat everyone else out there but one....

PS.  Was that "first female finisher" coming across in 3rd place?  No cheering!  What???

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

PS.  Was that "first female finisher" coming across in 3rd place?  No cheering!  What???

No the elite women started earlier than the men, separate race.

Runners run