Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

This is a non-answer. You get annoyed when people don't answer your questions.

Not at all, I'm fully self educated. that's why I've done what institutionally instructed people can't...

There's a reason colleges and mental hospitals are both called institutions... You'd have to crazy to be in either place...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Birdwell

Has anyone else noticed the similarity between sportjester's kitty running and the Prancersise lady?  Is she his first disciple?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

GC100k

Has anyone else noticed the similarity between sportjester's kitty running and the Prancersise lady?  Is she his first disciple?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

She's a Biomimeticist.  Wrote her book in 1989.  Maybe that's where sport jester got the idea.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

She's a Biomimeticist.  Wrote her book in 1989.  Maybe that's where sport jester got the idea.

Actually no, I've been teaching athletes to mimic animals in movement since 1980..

And her barf has absolutely nothing to do with how horses walk, run, gallop, or prance...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Joann Y

Now that's funny. I'm gonna have to figure out how to work this into small talk at the bar tonight...

And her barf has absolutely nothing to do with how horses walk, run, gallop, or prance...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Now that's funny. I'm gonna have to figure out how to work this into small talk at the bar tonight...

If I were in your neighborhood, I'd stop in and drivel with you.

Joann Y

yes, would be nice to not have to explain. maybe i will just state it as fact that barf has absolutely nothing to do with how horses walk, run, gallop, or prance. when the right moment pops up of course.

If I were in your neighborhood, I'd stop in and drivel with you.

Lane

The standard measure of efficiency from the biology perspective is quite readily accepted, its the measure in time ratio to the athlete's ability to cover its body length. Given that's what science measures, the true winner isn't on the list.

The current (given new species discoveries) is the Tiger Beetle, whereas in human size ratio would be running at 200+MPH

I have always thought this type of linearly scaling speed based on body length doesn't really make much sense.  Sure, distance and velocity are one-dimensional quantities but a giant beetle isn't going to run 200 MPH:

1) As we increase the size of the beetle, its volume increases with the cube of its length.  Assuming a constant density (seems fair) it means that the weight increases by the cube of its length.  So does the net force required to accelerate the beetle (because F=ma to a close enough approximation at these speeds).

2) As the absolute value of the beetle's velocity increases (let's say from 10 to 20 mph) the force due to air resistance increases with the square of the velocity (i.e. the force pushing against the beetle from 10 to 20 mph increases 4x).  Since the power required to overcome air resistance is proportional to the dot product of the air resistance and velocity, then you're looking at an 8x higher power requirement to overcome air resistance for only a doubling to speed.  This is also why you get much better gas mileage at 65 mph than you do at 85mph.

When you double the size of an animal, the numbers get really big since both mass and power requirements are increasing on a cubic curve.  When you talk about a beetle the size of a human, they are unmanageable.

People need to be more aware when they're scaling things that there is more than one dimension.  That's why a square foot is 144 square inches, not 12 (unless Sport Jester would like to argue that point, too).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Doesn't muscle power grow as cross-sectional area, and so as a square, not a cube?

(Meaning that there is a big strength penalty -- unrelated to wind resistance -- when increasing body size proportionally in all three dimensions.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

JimR

People need to be more aware when they're scaling things that there is more than one dimension. 

Don't be absurd.  Such rules don't apply on the interwebs.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Reminder...

Seriously guys, it's not worth our time....

If you think I'm writing for the posters of this forum you're nuts....

This is my entertainment, what I do when I work on other computer projects.

For me its a distraction. 

SJ, please stop.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

sport jester

Biomimeticist

SJ, please stop.

Why?

Why not compare our physical abilities with the animals around us?

If I can easily find three different animals species which all reach peak speed by seeking maximum stride length to do so, then why are humans so foolish to preach its exact opposite of shortening our strides and following a prescribed high turnover rate of exactly 180 steps per minute regardless to anyone's physical differences.

As to studying other animals, we can learn from all of them. Especially since explaining how the women of Kenya carry the weight more efficiently than you do; they walk like cats.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/1998/01/tiger-beetles-go-blind-chasing-prey-high-speeds

Why?

Why not compare our physical abilities with the animals around us?

If I can easily find three different animals species which all reach peak speed by seeking maximum stride length to do so, then why are humans so foolish to preach its exact opposite of shortening our strides and following a prescribed high turnover rate of exactly 180 steps per minute regardless to anyone's physical differences.

As to studying other animals, we can learn from all of them. Especially since explaining how the women of Kenya carry the weight more efficiently than you do; they walk like cats.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/1998/01/tiger-beetles-go-blind-chasing-prey-high-speeds

Why?  Because this is what I read from your post.

SJ: "Why? Why not compare our physical abilities with the animals around us? ...blah blah blah blah…. attach link here"

The question is good.  The answers are questionable.  Your credibility is questionable.

You create friction.  You don't solve problems.  You create them.  You prefer anger over harmony.

I don't think that you're helping this forum by promoting an anger filled dialogue.  (FWIW, I don't think it's only your fault I'm asking others not to respond to your threads and reminding them that it's not worth our time).

I don't have hatred toward you.  I don't have hatred toward anybody. 

In fact, your brother "E" seems like a decent guy that I've met on at least 1 occasion that I happened to think was very well spoken.  

Cheers,
                                Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life