Two choices: which is better overall? (Read 1503 times)

must be the badminton players
    Did someone say badminton?
      Also just to piggyback my other posts. Consider the way most high school/college programs are set up. You don't see highhool coaches handing out HRM's having their teams jog half the season. Most elite runners are a product of years worth of thse cycles. They gradually increase everything in cycles throughout the years. It takes 5-8 years before they reach high mileage and a heavy workout schedule. Just an additional consideration.
      PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

You'll ruin your knees!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Feeling the growl again

From Antelope: "What I have discovered from running and knowing other runners is runners come in catorgies. You have endurance oriented and what I term power oriented(myself). The endurance oriented runner probably will be able to increase mileage without much of a problem and will continue to improve by that alone(low Hr training). This guy probably is slow twitch endowed. This is the type that will injure easy from fast speed work and probably doesn't adapt to it fast(or enjoy it). If this is you and you race marathons your set with option B. In fact you may only need a few tempo's at best to sharpen up for your race. The power oriented runner will get injured from high mileage and will platue from it quickly. Speed work comes easy and you can usually sharpen up fast. Generally this runner gains more fitness(*even aerobic fitness)through some type of intensity. What I have noticed in myself and other power oriented runners is we adapt to a certain kind of running fast, platue and fall flat quickly if you don't switch the training emphasis. If this is you you would probably be better off following a 4 month cycle(3 peaks year), or finding a repeated cycle scheme(Lydiard race week non race week)to follow. So option A would work better. This kind of runner probaly enjoy's workouts and might bore easily from long slow distance runs(though he shouldn't neglect them)." I think your thesis is fundamentally flawed and false. How do you conclude that someone who is slow twitch is more injury prone from speedwork? How does your muscle fiber predominance predict the susceptibility of your bones to stress fractures or the strength of your tendons and ligaments? If anything, a fast-twitch type can generate more power and is therefore able to put more stress on these components than a slow-twitch person. You also conclude that a slow-twitch person gets more benefits from volumes of only slow work while a fast-twitch person somehow gets marathon conditioning through mostly intervals and speedwork. On what do you base this? Frankly in contradicts most runners of both "types" that I have known, including myself. This sounds like another way for a beginner doing decent on low mileage in the 5K to cop-out of working harder when their marathon doesn't live up to expectations. Quite frankly, almost every runner (and probably EVERY runner in the recreational realm) suffers from aerobic deficiency to some extent. Just because the fast-twitch guy takes to the 5K easier than the slow-twitch guy has NOTHING to do with their development for the marathon...he is simply trying to predict off a 5K inflated by his speed ability while the slow-twitch guy gets a more realistic prediction since they aren't biased by speed ability that won't translate to the marathon messing with their 5K time. I am the definition of a slow twitch guy (30:57 10K PR and 4:36 mile PR run within 2 months of each other and never broken 2:04 for 800m or 59 for 400m), yet I handle serious amounts of speedwork without injury and get tons of benefit from faster work and only moderate amounts of benefit from periods of all slow running. This "all slow" vs "mostly fast" thing is just ridiculous. People hold Lydiard up as the "father of LSD" but that is far from the truth, his guys did tons of fast work it was just highly periodized. High volumes of miles overall dictate that a large amount of that will be slow, but 15-20% of it will be fast. Different people benefit from different mixes but it's usually that....a mix. The training you describe is polar opposite but the fast vs slow twitch runners are not polar opposites, they are only moderately different. Fast twitch guy has an easier time at 5K, both need to run long AND fast to do well in marathons with the slow twitch guy having a little easier time with the long fast sessions.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

From Antelope: "What I have discovered from running and knowing other runners is runners come in catorgies. You have endurance oriented and what I term power oriented(myself). The endurance oriented runner probably will be able to increase mileage without much of a problem and will continue to improve by that alone(low Hr training). This guy probably is slow twitch endowed. This is the type that will injure easy from fast speed work and probably doesn't adapt to it fast(or enjoy it). If this is you and you race marathons your set with option B. In fact you may only need a few tempo's at best to sharpen up for your race. The power oriented runner will get injured from high mileage and will platue from it quickly. Speed work comes easy and you can usually sharpen up fast. Generally this runner gains more fitness(*even aerobic fitness)through some type of intensity. What I have noticed in myself and other power oriented runners is we adapt to a certain kind of running fast, platue and fall flat quickly if you don't switch the training emphasis. If this is you you would probably be better off following a 4 month cycle(3 peaks year), or finding a repeated cycle scheme(Lydiard race week non race week)to follow. So option A would work better. This kind of runner probaly enjoy's workouts and might bore easily from long slow distance runs(though he shouldn't neglect them)." I think your thesis is fundamentally flawed and false. How do you conclude that someone who is slow twitch is more injury prone from speedwork? How does your muscle fiber predominance predict the susceptibility of your bones to stress fractures or the strength of your tendons and ligaments? If anything, a fast-twitch type can generate more power and is therefore able to put more stress on these components than a slow-twitch person. You also conclude that a slow-twitch person gets more benefits from volumes of only slow work while a fast-twitch person somehow gets marathon conditioning through mostly intervals and speedwork. On what do you base this? Frankly in contradicts most runners of both "types" that I have known, including myself. This sounds like another way for a beginner doing decent on low mileage in the 5K to cop-out of working harder when their marathon doesn't live up to expectations. Quite frankly, almost every runner (and probably EVERY runner in the recreational realm) suffers from aerobic deficiency to some extent. Just because the fast-twitch guy takes to the 5K easier than the slow-twitch guy has NOTHING to do with their development for the marathon...he is simply trying to predict off a 5K inflated by his speed ability while the slow-twitch guy gets a more realistic prediction since they aren't biased by speed ability that won't translate to the marathon messing with their 5K time. I am the definition of a slow twitch guy (30:57 10K PR and 4:36 mile PR run within 2 months of each other and never broken 2:04 for 800m or 59 for 400m), yet I handle serious amounts of speedwork without injury and get tons of benefit from faster work and only moderate amounts of benefit from periods of all slow running. This "all slow" vs "mostly fast" thing is just ridiculous. People hold Lydiard up as the "father of LSD" but that is far from the truth, his guys did tons of fast work it was just highly periodized. High volumes of miles overall dictate that a large amount of that will be slow, but 15-20% of it will be fast. Different people benefit from different mixes but it's usually that....a mix. The training you describe is polar opposite but the fast vs slow twitch runners are not polar opposites, they are only moderately different. Fast twitch guy has an easier time at 5K, both need to run long AND fast to do well in marathons with the slow twitch guy having a little easier time with the long fast sessions.
            My comments are based primarly on trial and error and personal observations. The OP seems to be curious in "which path to get there". I have asked this same question before and more importantly I have tried both. Is it a cop out for me- NO not really. It took me years but I go up to 80 MPW. The trick for me was kicking it up in cycles. Did I race well at shorter distances off lower mileage- yeah but I got better as the mileage got higher. The thing is I got worse(*at all distances*)from high easy mileage alone-meaning speed work of some form is a huge contrubuter to MY success. Actually I raced a better marathon off lower mileage including speedwork than I did off higher mileage all low HR. Can an ehdurance oriented runner handle just as much speed as the power oriented? Very well maybe. Just to support my observations take one look at the folks(in general)who benefit most from low HR training. Usually their stories consists of a history of injuries brought on by guess what? Speed work.They turn to an endurance tyoe of stimulas and wala they improve. Basicly they just gave their body what it wanted. The power oriented runner might see early success but might platue and worse yet get injured. Since conventional training methods push this *base,base,base* so much, sometimes these folks find themselves never graduating from the *base phase*. They go on a cycle of build up,build up, get injured. To clarify I believe both runners wind up in the same place if being consistant. We are speaking about different paths to get there, thats all. I am all for high mileage, aerobic running an all that. The easiest way to look at it is you have to utilize your strengths early on and slowly implement your weakneses in short cycles. Small doses at a time. If lots of mileage is your weakness you only expose yourself to new levels for short time spans. If intense running tends to break you down(*or ruin your base as they claim)than expose yourself to to it in short cycles. Can you build up to high mileage and do speedwork? I guess you are putting yourself into this catorgie. Thats great! Tell us how long it took you? What was your experience? Did you just spend a year or two building or did you do it in shorter cycles? And I don't completely agree with the notion of running over xxx HR becomes anaerobic. In another post NOBBY nailed the best definition of aerobic vs anaerobic that I have seen in a long time. Check it out.
            PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

Feeling the growl again

I totally agree that most people won't get a ton faster off just easy running and no speed at all. Now if yoiu double your mileage doing just easy, you may see an increase....when I jumped from 70ish mpw to 100mpw overnight, a couple months later after I was no longer getting tired from the miles I was a ton faster before I even started serious workouts (though I ALWAYS keep tempos and fartleks in the mix). You mention that a lot of people who see success with MAF etc report having had injuries from speed etc before. I don't think they are successful on MAF because they are slow twitch types who do better off all eay miles....I think they are injury-prone types who do better off any plan that allows them to train consistently without getting injured. I ran nearly 10 years (junir high, HS, college) before I ever broke 60 mpw. From there I escalated very quickly, I was running 100mpw often within 2 years and the buildup was more stepped and aggressive than gradual. THe primary thing to note is that my body had already had time to strengthen all my joints, tendons and ligaments before I pushed it that hard.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I totally agree that most people won't get a ton faster off just easy running and no speed at all. Now if yoiu double your mileage doing just easy, you may see an increase....when I jumped from 70ish mpw to 100mpw overnight, a couple months later after I was no longer getting tired from the miles I was a ton faster before I even started serious workouts (though I ALWAYS keep tempos and fartleks in the mix)..
                But not everyone. I'm an example. On 50 MPW following a Lydiars(ish) style program(only I used short cycles always keeping tempo's, hills in the base phase) I PR'd from 5k though marathon. I tried MAFFing my mileage up to 80 and my MAFF tests over time GOT WORSE!!! As did my race times.
                You mention that a lot of people who see success with MAF etc report having had injuries from speed etc before. I don't think they are successful on MAF because they are slow twitch types who do better off all eay miles....I think they are injury-prone types who do better off any plan that allows them to train consistently without getting injured..
                Injury prone to what? Speed? It's the same senerio of the guy who gets injured from MAFF style buildups but CAN run moderate mileage with intensity mixed in. This is exactly what my posts are about. It having anything to do with fast twitch types vs slow twitch types is just speculation on my part. Speculation aside- Do you not agree about my overall theroy of "endurance vs power oriented" runners?
                I ran nearly 10 years (junir high, HS, college) before I ever broke 60 mpw. From there I escalated very quickly, I was running 100mpw often within 2 years and the buildup was more stepped and aggressive than gradual. THe primary thing to note is that my body had already had time to strengthen all my joints, tendons and ligaments before I pushed it that hard.
                This is where I think you're misunderatanding me. Even the types to take to heavy intensity early should be cautious as with the types who take to higher volume. You don't see high schools kids spend their freshmen and sophomore years jogging at low HR's before hitting the track do you? The whole point is to utlize your strengths and work your weakneses in small doses. If your looking to achieve your full potentail, it's my opinion that to much of one thing(any one thing)will not get you there. You abviously already underatnd what I'm taking about.

Feeling the growl again

"But not everyone. I'm an example" I don't understand. I said typically few people will see big gains off only easy miles and MAY overcome that if they are extreme like doubling miles, and you relate yourself as the typical example we are talking about where only easy miles didn't work. We agree, I don't see why you imply we don't? I don't think someone is injury-prone to speed, they are injury prone period. Speed and rough terrain like rocky trails are equally likely to injure someone if their body is not toughened up to the training they are doing. Intensity is simply the first challenge that a newer runner will face....they won't find out if high mileage injures them too because they aren't there yet. I agree in slow-twitch vs fast-twitch type runners, I would not term it power. Power is energy output per unit time. A very fit slow twitcher could generate more power than a less fit fast twitcher. It's more metabolic; some people have muscle fibers which handle anaerobic type events or speed more readily, some don't and they lean toward slow twitch. Your overall theory as described has some flaws IMO as I detailed in my orginal post. "You don't see high schools kids spend their freshmen and sophomore years jogging at low HR's before hitting the track do you?" I would call this a bad example. As a country, our HSers are terrible runners and a lot of it has to do with the poor training they receive. African runners, who are world class by 18 years old, do a ton of slower miles to support the harder work they do. US HSers typically run little outside the season, then do a "hell week" and pound intervals most of the season. I could again use myself as an example of the result: I was spectacularly unspecacular in HS, only breaking 19min 5k to run low-17s when I logged hundreds of miles over the summer. I was just as mediocre in college, only becoming "good" after college when I started running more like an African and logging lots of miles WITH good workouts mixed in to varying degrees depending on what phase I was in. You don't need to spend years jogging around, and I think people take the easy running thing too far....Lydiard's prescribed mileage was at a GOOD PACE, not jogging around (ask Nobby). The problem is a lot of new runners lack the control to run at the right pace, and it's better to run too easy than too fast at that stage.

I think we pretty much agree, perhaps we have a different understanding based on our experiences and level. First, my hat goes off to you for not being arrogant. You remain pretty humble with your opinions, which you hardly see on an internet message board. Second you make a great point about Lydiard.....I couldn't agree more. For years I have been saying people have misconstrued his principles. The problem is, is they read what they want to and disregard the rest. Good point about the Kenyans. Funny I was going to bring that up in my first post. Renato Canova supports exactly what you mention when comparing them to American runners. He is quoted saying that they don't do anything specific till they are running for 10 years!!! Basicly he is saying they have a 10 year base! The difference is that within those 10 years I highly doubt those guys(kids)are checking their HR, counting mileage, doinjg MAFF tests. Instead they run to get where they have to go. If they need to be to school on time they run FAST. Kenya has lots of hills and they run uphill lots. Do you think they stop and worry about "going anaerobic"? Do they worry about how much fat they are using? So really making that comparisin to what the OP is asking is like comparing apples to oranges. I agree MOST high school coaches ram intervals down the kids throats to wip them into shape. The thing is, is not many HS kids aspire to become champions. They just want immeidate results.....hey it's the American way. Even good coaches reconize this and just do do whats good for the team. That same coach may use different tactics to someone who displays interest in their athletic furure. Most, if not all of today's American's Elite's started in HS or college following the same program.

Feeling the growl again

"They just want immeidate results.....hey it's the American way. Even good coaches reconize this and just do do whats good for the team. " Yup. If I'd had better coaching in my early years and put in that Kenyan base, I could have been running D-II Nationals qualifying times in college and not 6 years too late. Just like getting off the couch and into a race though, better late than never I guess Big grin

phzzzzzzzzzzz

What if both trains have bars on them. Hmmmm What to do? Confused
                        Well, just switch trains somewhere in Cookeville. This doesn't have to be an either/or. I'm all about the both/and.