"What happens when you stop exercising" study... (Read 511 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I don't know about the validity of the study, but found this interesting:

https://www.yahoo.com/health/this-is-what-happens-when-you-stop-exercising-113355357618.html

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Wait, that isn't good for you?  I'm shocked!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

“Muscles begin to atrophy after just a few days of being sedentary,” says Metzl. “Organ damage and changes in overall functioning will follow.”

We can't ever get off the treadmill.  We're doomed

Joann Y

I didn't run for 10 days last November. What happened was it felt really really great to feel like a normal person, even for a little while. Eating when I want. Drinking when I want. Staying up late. Falling asleep on the couch. It was great. And then stupidly I started running again.

You mean we can stop?! Why has no one told me this until now!!! 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I didn't run for 10 days last November. What happened was it felt really really great to feel like a normal person, even for a little while. Eating when I want. Drinking when I want. Staying up late. Falling asleep on the couch. It was great. And then stupidly I started running again.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

The sample size for twin studies always makes them difficult to parse.  On the other hand, the matched genetics make what data we do get fairly compelling.

I think it's obvious no one is meant to be totally sedentary.  But people underestimate how problematic self-reporting is when it comes to exercise.  Someone with an active job, say, stacking boxes, will technically get more exercise than someone who runs 4 miles a day and has a desk job.  The modern definition of 'exercise' may need some refinement.

And frankly, the benefits of structured exercise are well-known.  Obviously, exercisers will be stronger and leaner than non-exercisers.  I'm not sure why this is news.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

endlessrun

I think the idea they're trying to emphasize here is that even if you were in shape, once you stop, you'll quickly come to be like all the other unfit people.  They may be exaggerating, though, when they say the subjects were showing signs of metabolic syndrome, being they were only 7 lbs heavier than their twin and only in their 30s.  But Men's Journal, like Men's Fitness, and Men's Health are dependent on scaring men into exercise.

I just read a study that also pointed to how fast we can lose it.  The study concluded we will lose up to 1/3 of our leg strength in just 2 weeks of inactivity.  [http://healthyaging.ku.dk/news/inactivity-reduces-peoples-muscle-strength/]

JamesWilcox85

As far as I can tell from my experience, it gets pretty hard in a couple of weeks after you stop training. You start having mood swings, then your muscles start itching; it's actually rather hard to stop exercising, if you've been doing it for a looong time.

BeeRunB

Could have just asked me. I get fat, crabby, and the man boobs return. I think even women get man boobs if they stop.

bhearn

I haven't run for six weeks. Do I want to click that link?

rmcj001

I haven't run for six weeks. Do I want to click that link?

Depends. Is your identical twin still exercising...

Ray