2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

Holy shit, I don't know what your race times are but 8 x 1 mile intervals would put me in the ground and my base is bigger than yours.  My 5K went from 21ish to 19:12 last year from doing marathon training. 

I think you'd surprise yourself if you did the workout LT, when you're marathon training it's not as bad as you think.  I was supposed to do 9-11 mile repeats yesterday, but there's two feet of f-ing snow on the track so I did hill repeats instead.  The mile repeats in my Galloway plan peak on February 6th with 10-12, but I can't really get fired up about my Spring marathon so I'm just gonna run the Super 5k and drink beer instead.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I've got my weekly miles up to 40 and am dabbling with 1K and Mile Intervals. I'm curious to know what intervals you guys do (or have done in the past) and what your 5K was at the time? Every other week i'll do 10x1K @ 4:05 off 1 min rests, or 8x1Mile @ 6:50

I'm hoping this, with weekly 12Mile Long Runs, will also help my 10K to HM, as i struggle a bit for endurance.

Thanks for the links MoBramExam. Interesting stuff. I've still got a while to go, better get back to it.......

I am seriuosly genuinly curious; where do people get the idea of doing this kind of workouts and training program?  I thought I've kept my eyes on "what's out there"...

Anytime the topic turns to intervals (for improving 5K and other times), this has been the go-to post that provides pretty much everything you need to know:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/7e95fbbcb119401b942bd0d9443755a1

Spaniel knows of which he speaks, that really is pure awesomeness.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

L Train

I think you'd surprise yourself if you did the workout LT, when you're marathon training it's not as bad as you think.  

Well like x said, I suppose it's how fast they are run.  And you are right, I've never tried it so perhaps shouldn't knock it.  Just the thought of it is intimidating. 

jeffdonahue

A few years ago when I first broke the 20 minute barrier (which I have now slipped above again) I had a few workouts that were up to 7x1 mile repeats, but they were being done at 7:10 pace, not 6:50.

I did do a 5x1km interval last week at a 6:45 pace, but I have to agree that 8x1 mile at a 6:50 would probably have me sitting on the ground and walking home afterwards.

on a high note, I ran by the High School yesterday and while they seem to have piled all the snow from Main Street on to the football field, they also plowed the track - so there could be a possibility of doing some speedwork there soon (one section is still pretty slushy)

MoBramExam

I am seriuosly genuinly curious; where do people get the idea of doing this kind of workouts and training program?  I thought I've kept my eyes on "what's out there"...

Which one?  RootieKazootie?  Or Pete Magill?

Kalsarikännit

people really like me. 

Name them.

Also, I am in for the sub-20 5k.  My focus has always been on endurance, but I need to get my workouts in to become an all-around better runner.  My biggest worry about being able to go sub-20 is just the lack of 5k's in Chicago that I have any interest in doing.  They are all set up to benefit charities, so they cost $30, and the ones near me jam everyone on a very narrow lakefront path.  Nothing about racing in Chicago seems to resemble what everyone else talks about here.  There are no small running clubs, no $6 races/popsicle stick races/races for racers, no masters track nights, and no races outside the same old general distances (mile, 20k?  ha!)  They use the excuse that people want the t-shirt, medals, and all the post race food.  I disagree.  Racers want to race.  I can do a marathon for the cost of two 5k's.  Why should I waste all my money racing around here?  I am doing a 5k on April 3rd.  It is a race that I actually like.  We will see how many other good ones I can find.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

MrH

Which one?  RootieKazootie? 

I presume he's asking why RootieKazootie thinks 10 x 1k or 8 x 1 mile and with short recoveries is optimum 5k training.

Half marathon maybe, but hardly focused on the 5k.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xhristopher

on a high note, I ran by the High School yesterday and while they seem to have piled all the snow from Main Street on to the football field, they also plowed the track - so there could be a possibility of doing some speedwork there soon (one section is still pretty slushy)

I did reconnaissance on this this out on Saturday. The track seems to be plowed but the finish line has (had?) a huge dumpster on it and is very, very muddy. Hopefully the sun has cleaned it up some since. Below are my crappy camera phone pics. 

As you know, they are going to rip the track out soon to make way for a fancy football field. Despite it being a hilly piece of junk, it's less than a half mile from my house and has been convenient. The new track, whenever it arrives, at Pine Banks will no doubt be nice but will be 5 times as far so I'll miss this junky, hilly track but think you will enjoy the new track closer to your side of town.

On the upside downtown Melrose looks fantastic. Miles of snow has been cleared from the roads and now resides in a 50 x 70 x 4 yard pile! I'm wondering how deep into spring this will last.

jeffdonahue

As you know, they are going to rip the track out soon to make way for a fancy football field. Despite it being a hilly piece of junk, it's less than a half mile from my house and has been convenient. The new track, whenever it arrives, at Pine Banks will no doubt be nice but will be 5 times as far so I'll miss this junky, hilly track but think you will enjoy the new track closer to your side of town.

I cant wait for the new track at Pine Banks.  It is about 1 mile from my house (2 if I loop around by Oak Groave) so that is a perfect warmup to get me there for intervals.  Granted, the current track is probably a mile from my house as well, but the condition is so crappy that I hardly ever use it.  That corner by the baseball field floods way too easily.

I presume he's asking why RootieKazootie thinks 10 x 1k or 8 x 1 mile and with short recoveries is optimum 5k training.

Half marathon maybe, but hardly focused on the 5k.

I dunno, my 5k times really started dropping when I began to think of it as a short distance, high intensity endurance race.  How long can you endure holding the pedal to the floor?  Probably just me, I'll readily acknowledge I'm not normal.

E.J.

I am thinking about trying intervals a little later on in the year. My only concern would be if doing them without a watch on (and only “sort of” knowing my speed) would detract from the quality of the workout, and make it a sloppy mess. I’ll probably end up giving in and strapping on the casio.

I’ve definitely enjoyed running more the last few weeks (more than last summer anyway, I know my current “base” is a long run for some of you), and am clearly in better shape than I was in Sept., so very interested in what I can do in 5k this year.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

My biggest worry about being able to go sub-20 is just the lack of 5k's in Chicago that I have any interest in doing.  They are all set up to benefit charities, so they cost $30, and the ones near me jam everyone on a very narrow lakefront path.  Nothing about racing in Chicago seems to resemble what everyone else talks about here.  There are no small running clubs, no $6 races/popsicle stick races/races for racers, no masters track nights, and no races outside the same old general distances (mile, 20k?  ha!)  They use the excuse that people want the t-shirt, medals, and all the post race food.  I disagree.  Racers want to race.  I can do a marathon for the cost of two 5k's.  Why should I waste all my money racing around here?  I am doing a 5k on April 3rd.  It is a race that I actually like.  We will see how many other good ones I can find.

I suppose you don't want to know that we have a weekly free 5k race here? Undecided

The same people organise them all across the UK (and there a now a few in Denmark).

xhristopher

I am thinking about trying intervals a little later on in the year. My only concern would be if doing them without a watch on (and only “sort of” knowing my speed) would detract from the quality of the workout, and make it a sloppy mess. I’ll probably end up giving in and strapping on the casio.

I’ve definitely enjoyed running more the last few weeks (more than last summer anyway, I know my current “base” is a long run for some of you), and am clearly in better shape than I was in Sept., so very interested in what I can do in 5k this year.

I don't see why one couldn't run intervals based on effort but, since your base is low, you could probably also go faster just by adding base. I went sub 20 then sub 19 mostly by building my base (and loosing weight).

I suppose you don't want to know that we have a weekly free 5k race here? Undecided

The same people organise them all across the UK (and there a now a few in Denmark).

Pointing out Park Run is just cruel.  It would be awesome if it did catch on in other countries though!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."